Re: [News] Another Anti-GNU/Linux Move from Microsoft Cripples PCs - Linux

  1. Re: [News] Another Anti-GNU/Linux Move from Microsoft Cripples PCs

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft to limit capabilities of cheap laptops
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home
    > | Edition to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra
    > | low-cost PCs (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make
    > | ULPCs must limit screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G
    > | bytes, and they cannot offer touch-screen PCs.

    This is total and utter market distortion.
    And the EU regulators are completely asleep!!!!!

    There is no reason why a monopoly needs to do that other than for
    monopoly anti-trust violating reasons.

    Micoshaft should be called and in questioned over what other
    cooercion it is placing on market players to toe the market
    distorting micoshaftic vision vendors are forced to follow
    so that Linux and other OS vendors may suffer
    so that micoshaft can live.

    There is no reason why you or I should be forced to buy
    a lower capacity Linux capable machine so that micoshaft can live.

    PC prices should be completely transparent to the buyer!!!!
    PC should be advertised with Linux and with micoshaft crapola
    for side by side comparison and straight forward purchase.

    What is micoshaft so afraid of?

    > | The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to
    > | PC makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The
    > | goal apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that
    > | they don't eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista,
    > | something both Microsoft and the PC vendors would want to avoid.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Microsoft notes that the OSes under consideration for the devices
    > | include Windows and Linux. Some PC makers have expressed a preference
    > | for Linux because it helps them keep down the cost of the devices.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes
    > | to secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux,
    > | according to an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified
    > | because he was not authorized to discuss the program.
    > |
    > | "[Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
    > | Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said.
    > |
    > | The official did not seem opposed to the program. It should stimulate
    > | more competition between Windows and Linux in the ULPC market, and it
    > | could invigorate sales because consumers who want an easy-to-use PC are
    > | likely to prefer Windows, the official said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D04...0F5F4479DEEE86

  2. Re: [News] Another Anti-GNU/Linux Move from Microsoft Cripples PCs

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:28:11 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > What is micoshaft so afraid of?

    It's simple. They're afraid of real competition like they always have
    since they distorted their way into the market.

+ Reply to Thread