Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux - Linux ; I hoped that the recent stream of lightweight Linux laptops wold mark the beginning of a liberated computer market, with real competition, leading to ever more powerful machines for lower prices, and more consumer choice. But apparrently Redmond not only ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    I hoped that the recent stream of lightweight Linux laptops wold mark the
    beginning of a liberated computer market, with real competition, leading to
    ever more powerful machines for lower prices, and more consumer choice.
    But apparrently Redmond not only wants to claim what it thinks should be its
    share of the market, but now it seems they also want to dictate what those
    machines should be capable of -- as in: cheap Windows infected laptops must
    also be severely crippled in the hardware department, no doubt in order to
    keep their Vista crapware sales up.

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...p_laptops.html

    So what will happen? If enough manufacturers give in to the bastards from
    Redmond, pretty soon the only cheap laptops built will be the ones
    complying with Microsoft's crippling standards -- and together with the
    huge discount Microsoft gives on their crapware, they will make certain
    that cheap, powerful Linux laptops are pushed from the market even faster
    than they appeared.

    This is yet another very clear example where our convicted monopolist once
    again tries abuse its dominant position for the sole purpose of maintaining
    that position -- once again screwing customers and the market alike.

    OK, over to you, Windolts, to explain that artificially crippled Windows
    preloaded machines under Microsoft's control are better for consumers than
    far more powerful Linux machines for the same price.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  2. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    DFS wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> I hoped that the recent stream of lightweight Linux laptops wold mark
    >> the beginning of a liberated computer market, with real competition,
    >> leading to ever more powerful machines for lower prices, and more
    >> consumer choice.
    >> But apparrently Redmond not only wants to claim what it thinks should
    >> be its share of the market, but now it seems they also want to
    >> dictate what those machines should be capable of -- as in: cheap
    >> Windows infected laptops must also be severely crippled in the
    >> hardware department, no doubt in order to keep their Vista crapware
    >> sales up.

    > How can MS dictate anything to anybody? They offer a product for sale at
    > a price, maybe with terms/conditions, and the OEM is free to accept it or
    > not.
    >
    > Oh I forgot: we're here in la-la land, where everyone is a victim of big,
    > bad MS. You nuts are like battered wives, except you imagine it all.

    Come on then DFS, let's have it; what do you mean by that statement?

    How and why do you make the comparison with "nuts" and battered wives?

  3. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    Verily I say unto thee, that Sean Inglis spake thusly:
    > DFS wrote:

    >> How can MS dictate anything to anybody? They offer a product for
    >> sale at a price, maybe with terms/conditions, and the OEM is free
    >> to accept it or not.
    >>
    >> Oh I forgot: we're here in la-la land, where everyone is a victim
    >> of big, bad MS. You nuts are like battered wives, except you
    >> imagine it all.

    > Come on then DFS, let's have it; what do you mean by that statement?
    >
    > How and why do you make the comparison with "nuts" and battered
    > wives?

    Another perfect example of DooFy's denialism. It's right there in front
    of him in the article, and yet he still can't see it:

    To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they
    cannot offer touch-screen PCs.

    The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to
    PC makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The
    goal apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that
    they don't eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista
    Microsoft is /clearly/ dictating terms to the ULPC manufacturers, but
    the DooFy-bot does not compute ... he's been programmed to ignore the
    truth of Microsoft's corruption. He really is a mindless minion.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    19:23:25 up 141 days, 15:59, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

  4. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    Sean Inglis wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hoped that the recent stream of lightweight Linux laptops wold mark
    >>> the beginning of a liberated computer market, with real competition,
    >>> leading to ever more powerful machines for lower prices, and more
    >>> consumer choice.
    >>> But apparrently Redmond not only wants to claim what it thinks should
    >>> be its share of the market, but now it seems they also want to
    >>> dictate what those machines should be capable of -- as in: cheap
    >>> Windows infected laptops must also be severely crippled in the
    >>> hardware department, no doubt in order to keep their Vista crapware
    >>> sales up.

    >> How can MS dictate anything to anybody? They offer a product for sale at
    >> a price, maybe with terms/conditions, and the OEM is free to accept it or
    >> not.
    >>
    >> Oh I forgot: we're here in la-la land, where everyone is a victim of big,
    >> bad MS. You nuts are like battered wives, except you imagine it all.
    >>

    > Come on then DFS, let's have it; what do you mean by that statement?
    >
    > How and why do you make the comparison with "nuts" and battered wives?

    Sorry that's slightly unclear: I meant draw a comparison *between* "nuts"
    and battered wives.

    What is it about battered wives that you find implausible or unsympathetic?

  5. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:24:05 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Sean Inglis spake thusly:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> How can MS dictate anything to anybody? They offer a product for sale
    >>> at a price, maybe with terms/conditions, and the OEM is free to accept
    >>> it or not.
    >>>
    >>> Oh I forgot: we're here in la-la land, where everyone is a victim of
    >>> big, bad MS. You nuts are like battered wives, except you imagine it
    >>> all.

    >> Come on then DFS, let's have it; what do you mean by that statement?
    >>
    >> How and why do you make the comparison with "nuts" and battered wives?

    > Another perfect example of DooFy's denialism. It's right there in front
    > of him in the article, and yet he still can't see it:
    >

    > To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    > screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they
    > cannot offer touch-screen PCs.
    >
    > The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to
    > PC makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The
    > goal apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that
    > they don't eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista
    >

    > Microsoft is /clearly/ dictating terms to the ULPC manufacturers, but
    > the DooFy-bot does not compute ... he's been programmed to ignore the
    > truth of Microsoft's corruption. He really is a mindless minion.

    Imposing the limitations solves a number of problems for the PC industry,
    said industry analyst Roger Kay, president of EndPoint Technologies
    Associates. "It allows PC makers to offer a low-cost alternative, and it
    prevents eroding of pricing and margins in the mainstream OS market," he
    said.

    I think this says it all. "prevents eroding the pricing and margins in
    the mainstream OS market". I wonder who's "mainstream OS market" he's
    referring to.

  6. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    alt wrote:
    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft is /clearly/ dictating terms to the ULPC
    >> manufacturers, but the DooFy-bot does not compute ... he's
    >> been programmed to ignore the truth of Microsoft's
    >> corruption. He really is a mindless minion.

    > Imposing the limitations solves a number of problems for the
    > PC industry, said industry analyst Roger Kay, president of
    > EndPoint Technologies Associates. "It allows PC makers to
    > offer a low-cost alternative, and it prevents eroding of
    > pricing and margins in the mainstream OS market," he said.
    >
    > I think this says it all. "prevents eroding the pricing and
    > margins in the mainstream OS market". I wonder who's
    > "mainstream OS market" he's referring to.

    Eroding is fancy terminology for monopoly maintenance. Keep OS
    prices high with wide profit margins. Any other OS proposed
    would provide competition (price erosion).

    Certainly has the stench of troll ****e.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  7. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    In article ,
    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > So what will happen? If enough manufacturers give in to the bastards from
    > Redmond, pretty soon the only cheap laptops built will be the ones
    > complying with Microsoft's crippling standards -- and together with the
    > huge discount Microsoft gives on their crapware, they will make certain
    > that cheap, powerful Linux laptops are pushed from the market even faster
    > than they appeared.

    These are the hardware restrictions to be able to get the cheap Windows
    license:

    1. Screen size of 10.2 inches or less,

    2. Hard drive of 80G or less,

    3. No touch screen.

    How are those "crippling standards"? The Asus EEE meets them, and most
    reviewers of it (including those here) have not noticed that it is
    crippled.

    > This is yet another very clear example where our convicted monopolist once
    > again tries abuse its dominant position for the sole purpose of maintaining
    > that position -- once again screwing customers and the market alike.

    Could you people get together and get your story straight? Sometimes it
    is that Microsoft charges too much for Windows, because of their
    monopoly. And sometimes it is that Microsoft charges too little for
    Windows, because of their monopoly. What price point would be just
    right, Goldilocks?

    > OK, over to you, Windolts, to explain that artificially crippled Windows
    > preloaded machines under Microsoft's control are better for consumers than
    > far more powerful Linux machines for the same price.

    What makes you think consumers will buy the "crippled" Windows machines
    instead of the "far more powerful" Linux machines? You seem to think
    that given a choice (which is always supposed to be good to give, isn't
    it?), consumers will choose Windows so overwhelmingly that the Linux
    machines will disappear from the market.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    In article <7r5hf5-6la.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer
    wrote:

    > To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    > screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they
    > cannot offer touch-screen PCs.
    >
    > The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to
    > PC makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The
    > goal apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that
    > they don't eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista
    >

    > Microsoft is /clearly/ dictating terms to the ULPC manufacturers, but
    > the DooFy-bot does not compute ... he's been programmed to ignore the
    > truth of Microsoft's corruption. He really is a mindless minion.

    How is having different prices for different market segments dictating
    terms? Manufacturers whose PCs do not meet those screen and disk limits
    can still buy Windows--they just don't get the ULPC price for it.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    In article ,
    Tim Smith wrote:
    > > To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    > > screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they
    > > cannot offer touch-screen PCs.

    > > Microsoft is /clearly/ dictating terms to the ULPC manufacturers, but
    > > the DooFy-bot does not compute ... he's been programmed to ignore the
    > > truth of Microsoft's corruption. He really is a mindless minion.

    > How is having different prices for different market segments dictating
    > terms? Manufacturers whose PCs do not meet those screen and disk limits
    > can still buy Windows--they just don't get the ULPC price for it.

    In particular, how is this different from what Red Hat does?

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux is $1499/year. However, if you are willing to
    only run hardware with 1 or 2 CPU sockets, and agree not to run more
    than 4 virtualized guests, they will let you have it for $799.

    Red Hat discounts on CPUs, Microsoft discounts on screen size and disk
    size.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:42:12 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >>> To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    >>> screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they
    >>> cannot offer touch-screen PCs.

    >>> Microsoft is /clearly/ dictating terms to the ULPC manufacturers, but
    >>> the DooFy-bot does not compute ... he's been programmed to ignore the
    >>> truth of Microsoft's corruption. He really is a mindless minion.

    >> How is having different prices for different market segments dictating
    >> terms? Manufacturers whose PCs do not meet those screen and disk limits
    >> can still buy Windows--they just don't get the ULPC price for it.

    > In particular, how is this different from what Red Hat does?
    >
    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux is $1499/year. However, if you are willing to
    > only run hardware with 1 or 2 CPU sockets, and agree not to run more
    > than 4 virtualized guests, they will let you have it for $799.
    >
    > Red Hat discounts on CPUs, Microsoft discounts on screen size and disk
    > size.

    It's amazing how the Linux *advocates* are for choice yet when Microsoft
    offers choice they wail and flail their arms like retards.

    What it boils down to is the fact that if Linux were good enough, Microsoft
    would be in serious trouble trying to sell an operating system while a free
    one exists.

    The truth is that Linux and it's applications are just not good enough to
    compete with Windows or Mac on the desktop.
    The statistics prove it over and over again.

    The fact that Open Office also runs under Windows, is free and is pretty
    much ignored is another kick in the face for Linux and open source
    software.

    Additionally Firefox is taking market share away from Internet Explorer.
    Why?
    Firefox is BETTER than Internet Explorer and people like and are using it.

    As soon as Linux and OSS can figure out how to be BETTER than Windows and
    Mac, they too will increase their market share.

    Until then, Linux will suffer on life support at 0.6 percent of desktop
    market.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  12. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> So what will happen? If enough manufacturers give in to the bastards from
    >> Redmond, pretty soon the only cheap laptops built will be the ones
    >> complying with Microsoft's crippling standards -- and together with the
    >> huge discount Microsoft gives on their crapware, they will make certain
    >> that cheap, powerful Linux laptops are pushed from the market even faster
    >> than they appeared.

    > These are the hardware restrictions to be able to get the cheap Windows
    > license:
    >
    > 1. Screen size of 10.2 inches or less,
    >
    > 2. Hard drive of 80G or less,
    >
    > 3. No touch screen.
    >
    > How are those "crippling standards"? The Asus EEE meets them, and most
    > reviewers of it (including those here) have not noticed that it is
    > crippled.

    These are crippling standards if dictated by a third party who has nothing
    to do with the hardware in the first place. Microsoft should keep their
    filthy hands off a thriving low-cost laptop market.

    >> This is yet another very clear example where our convicted monopolist
    >> once again tries abuse its dominant position for the sole purpose of
    >> maintaining that position -- once again screwing customers and the market
    >> alike.

    > Could you people get together and get your story straight? Sometimes it
    > is that Microsoft charges too much for Windows, because of their
    > monopoly. And sometimes it is that Microsoft charges too little for
    > Windows, because of their monopoly. What price point would be just
    > right, Goldilocks?

    This isn't about price. This is about Microsoft stepping into a market which
    is doing just fine with Linux, thank you very much, and saying, "Hey guys,
    we're Microsoft, and we wanto you to sell your low-cost machines with our
    OS -- and with a hefty discount on the OS, at that -- but only if those
    machines have limited hardware cababilities, as per our wish-list. If you
    want to sell more powerful low-cost machines, our OS is off-limits for you,
    and you're on your own."

    If you were a PC manufacturer heavily tied to Microsoft and Windows
    crapware, but got into this Linux experiment, what would you do? Would you
    defy Redmond's commands and keep on offering more powerful Linux machines
    for an equal or even lower price than Windows machines? Of course not.
    You'd think of your business, and you'd make damn sure that the Linux offer
    would very quickly become quire unattractive indeed.

    >> OK, over to you, Windolts, to explain that artificially crippled Windows
    >> preloaded machines under Microsoft's control are better for consumers
    >> than far more powerful Linux machines for the same price.

    > What makes you think consumers will buy the "crippled" Windows machines
    > instead of the "far more powerful" Linux machines? You seem to think
    > that given a choice (which is always supposed to be good to give, isn't
    > it?), consumers will choose Windows so overwhelmingly that the Linux
    > machines will disappear from the market.

    Those Linux machines won't disappear from the market because consumers will
    choose Windows overwhelmingly. They will disappear from the market because
    Microsoft will convince/buy/bully the manufacturers into making only
    machines according their crippled specs, preloaded with a heavily
    discounted XP version -- so that not only those machines will be cheaper
    than the original Linux machines, but in fact will be the only machines
    available.

    "By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according
    to an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he
    was not authorized to discuss the program.
    [Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
    Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said."

    Linux EEE PC sales already accounts for one percent of all new PC sales,
    after only six months. Microsoft simply wants to take over that market for
    no other reason than to stamp out the emergence of Linux as a commodity OS.
    I really hope that there are big brands out there who won't cave in and
    keep offering (and promoting!) the more powerful Linux machines instead of
    Redmond's crippled crapware.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  13. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 16:56:04 +0100, Sean Inglis wrote:

    >> Oh I forgot: we're here in la-la land, where everyone is a victim of
    >> big, bad MS. You nuts are like battered wives, except you imagine it
    >> all.
    >>

    > Come on then DFS, let's have it; what do you mean by that statement?
    >
    > How and why do you make the comparison with "nuts" and battered wives?

    Well, it's quite simple. The battered wives have obviously brought it
    upon themselves, I mean, if they had just done what their abusive spouces
    told them to (like sterlize the dishes, open their legs whenever they
    want, keep the socks all in the sock drawer, not leave the house,... etc)
    they wouldn't have got beat...

    DFS is a miserable excuse for a lifeform IMO.

  14. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    Tim Smith wrote:

    >> How is having different prices for different market segments
    >> dictating terms? Manufacturers whose PCs do not meet those screen
    >> and disk limits can still buy Windows--they just don't get the ULPC
    >> price for it.

    > In particular, how is this different from what Red Hat does?

    You e-thug! You went and ruined another one of their ridiculous fantasies
    about MS "corruption". Now the thread will be ignored by slinkers
    [H]ypocrite and Rasker.

    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux is $1499/year. However, if you are willing
    > to only run hardware with 1 or 2 CPU sockets, and agree not to run
    > more than 4 virtualized guests, they will let you have it for $799.
    >
    > Red Hat discounts on CPUs, Microsoft discounts on screen size and disk
    > size.

    Discounts may differ, but Linux doesn't discriminate on quality: it reeks
    across all distros and vendors:

    RedHat: "I have a PC with RedHat Linux installed...at regular times, weekly
    exactly the same time!, the PC 'freezes'? ... There's nothing I can do at
    that moment besides a hardware reboot."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...reezes-601972/

    Debian Etch: "I installed debian etch. Ran fine for a while, then the same
    freezing problem."
    #148 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=15

    Suse 10.3: "Last few days I have been confronted with a weird behavior of my
    SUSE 10.3 system. Several time a day all of the sudden it freezes. Then I
    have to
    reboot ... "
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Slackware 12.0: "Bit worrisome this. I have had two system freezes today on
    my new Slackware 12 installation."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Mint 4.0: "So I switched [from Gentoo] to Linux Mint 4.0 and in the last 3
    days I have had 2 system freezes."
    http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic...freezes#p67069

    PCLinuxOS: "About 4 times each day, the whole system freezes up."
    1st post at http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=35878.0

    DreamLinux: "...I clicked on PLAY for one of the sounds and the entire
    system froze."
    http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,1217.0.html

    Mandriva 2008: "...did a clean install of Mandriva 2008 and it has been
    freezing a lot, regardless of what i am doing."
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic....3a9dc185854a5a

    Sabayon: "thanks...all installed....took 27hrs to install.....till I try to
    do anything......next thing my task bar disappears...my program selector
    disappears...I do anything....it freezes up solid.."
    http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/vi...freezes#p67138

    ArchLinux: "I have Asus A6M Q0050 and last three weeks I experience random
    freezes."

    CentOS 5.1: "It just simply freezes."
    http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...forumpost37948

    Ubuntu 8.04: "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP
    WARNING!!! Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total
    lockups."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996

    Fedora 8: "I've been having frequent lock-ups with Fedora 8 for some days."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

    Puppy: "The whole system freezes after a short time."
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550

    Generally: "In summary, I could write a book on the problems with any Linux
    versions."
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

  15. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    alt wrote:

    > Well, it's quite simple. The battered wives have obviously brought it
    > upon themselves, I mean, if they had just done what their abusive spouces
    > told them to (like sterlize the dishes, open their legs whenever they
    > want, keep the socks all in the sock drawer, not leave the house,... etc)
    > they wouldn't have got beat...
    >
    > DFS is a miserable excuse for a lifeform IMO.

    "Donovan Hill
    Linux User, Christian, Canadian, and all-around nice guy! "

    All-around asshole is more like it.

  16. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    alt wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 16:56:04 +0100, Sean Inglis wrote:

    >> How and why do you make the comparison with "nuts" and battered
    >> wives?

    > Well, it's quite simple. The battered wives have obviously brought it
    > upon themselves, I mean, if they had just done what their abusive
    > spouces told them to (like sterlize the dishes, open their legs
    > whenever they want, keep the socks all in the sock drawer, not leave
    > the house,... etc) they wouldn't have got beat...

    Sounds like you've been beaten up by your hubby.

    Get ready: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csVehsVW3jM

    > DFS is a miserable excuse for a lifeform IMO.

    No need to project your low self-esteem onto me.

  17. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    Gary M. Stewart wrote:

    > "Donovan Hill
    > Linux User, Christian, Canadian, and all-around nice guy! "

    So you're the moron who's been obsessively nymshifting and stalking Moshe
    for weeks. Loser.

    > All-around asshole is more like it.

    Better asshole than a creepy "Christian, all around nice guy" nutcase
    hypocrite.

  18. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    On May 10, 11:44 am, "DFS" wrote:

    > How can MS dictate anything to anybody? They offer a product for sale at a
    > price, maybe with terms/conditions, and the OEM is free to accept it or not.

    Anyone with a quarter of a brain can detect the fallacy in your
    statement.

    I am getting pretty bored by this predictable trick from the Windiot
    camp.

    "Dictate terms" is NOT a binary issue, it is a continuum. It has
    shades and degrees.

    Courts of law have determined that Microsoft yields unacceptable -not
    to mention illegal- power over the market.

    Therefore, the rest of your argument is invalid.

    -Ramon

  19. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:06:53 -0500, Gary M. Stewart wrote:

    > alt wrote:
    >

    >> Well, it's quite simple. The battered wives have obviously brought it
    >> upon themselves, I mean, if they had just done what their abusive
    >> spouces told them to (like sterlize the dishes, open their legs
    >> whenever they want, keep the socks all in the sock drawer, not leave
    >> the house,... etc) they wouldn't have got beat...
    >>
    >> DFS is a miserable excuse for a lifeform IMO.

    > "Donovan Hill
    > Linux User, Christian, Canadian, and all-around nice guy! "
    >

    > All-around asshole is more like it.

    Speaking the truth does not make me an asshole.

  20. Re: Microsoft pushes crippleware to defeat Linux

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On May 10, 11:44 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >>
    >> How can MS dictate anything to anybody? They offer a product for
    >> sale at a price, maybe with terms/conditions, and the OEM is free to
    >> accept it or not.

    > Anyone with a quarter of a brain can detect the fallacy in your
    > statement.

    So your 20% fails.

    > I am getting pretty bored by this predictable trick from the Windiot
    > camp.

    And I'm sick of the stupid, crazy cola lies and claims about Linux, MS,
    Windows and everything else in the IT/computing world.

    > "Dictate terms" is NOT a binary issue, it is a continuum. It has
    > shades and degrees.

    ahhh... so it's nothing like a dictatorial stance by MS - it's closer to a
    negotiation as I said. Thanks for helping prove Rasker is a nutjob.

    > Courts of law have determined

    .... that OJ Simpson didn't murder two people - but he did. Thankfully a
    different court got it right with Hans Reiser.

    Courts of law have wrongly acquitted and wrongly convicted many, many times.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscarriage_of_justice

    > that Microsoft yields unacceptable

    I guess it is unacceptable if you think Linux should be given massive
    amounts of govt welfare, along with the intellectual welfare most
    "advocates" have given it for years. I notice how hysterical you lusers
    become when Linux has to compete against Windows - it's plenty OK for Linux
    to be free, but when MS reduces Windows price you weirdos go into 'roid
    rages.

    > -not to mention illegal- power over the market.

    There's nothing forcing anyone to buy Windows, ever. The problem is
    competitive PC operating systems are difficult to develop, and even a good
    one like the MacOS - given away for free along with all apps - would have a
    near-impossible task of unseating 15 years of Windows dominance and
    entrenchment. A crappy system like Linux has no chance.

    And what's this hooey about "illegal power over the market"? They give a
    browser and media player away with their OS and the EU "Competition
    Commission" has the nerve to claim it's an antitrust issue and force them to
    sell a media-player-less version that nobody asked for and nobody wants?
    What a joke. They won't willingly make available important trade secrets so
    their competitors can have a free ride into Windows server networks, so the
    EU assholes fine them? It's an extreme abuse of govt power by dickless
    egomaniac lackeys.

    > Therefore, the rest of your argument is invalid.

    Run away fast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast