[News] Wine 1.0: RC Reached - Linux

  1. [News] Wine 1.0: RC Reached

    [Wine 1.0 Releases Candidate Released]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is release 1.0-rc1 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix.
    |
    | This is the first release candidate for Wine 1.0. Please give it a
    | good testing to help us make 1.0 as good as possible. In particular
    | please help us look for apps that used to work, but don't now. See
    | http://wiki.winehq.org/PlatinumRegressionHunt for details.
    `----

    http://www.winehq.org/?announce=1.0-rc1

    A friend of mine has just told me (verbally) that Microsoft is scanning the
    Registry files to ensure there's no Wine there. Or... They check for the
    configuration key for Wine and prevent it from updating. If you have it
    installed on your computer, they block the configuration key. Bastards. He's
    in the process of migrating... now installing Drupal and getting quite
    excited.

    Recent:

    May 2, 2008: Code freeze in effect, on towards wine 1.0!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wine is finally in code freeze in preparation for releasing wine 1.0, and we
    | need your help!
    |
    | If you are a user, now would be the time to help us find regressions and file
    | them at bugzilla so we know what we have to fix.
    `----

    http://www.winehq.org/?news=2008050202

    The making of Wine (how to make Windows apps merrier with Linux)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Flash forward to today. It's been the better part of a decade and Microsoft
    | has not been toppled by anyone's reckoning. However it did release Vista -
    | perhaps the most hated Windows operating system of all time (though it's hard
    | to beat Windows ME on that count). Enterprises badly want alternatives to
    | Windows. Desktop Linux has come a long way since 1999, too. and (who knew?)
    | the Mac has become the ultra chic, must-have PC. The enterprise has its
    | alternatives - if it can only get those mission critical Windows apps to work
    | flawlessly. Wine, in its commercial form, has been doing so for years.
    |
    | So, in 2008, the 1.0 version will hit the streets and the timing could not be
    | more perfect. White admits that not every Windows application will work
    | flawlessly on Wine, but many a critical one for the enterprise has been
    | specifically optimized.
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26915

    Related:

    Wine is Getting Good

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wine is at version 0.9.47. As it nears version 1.0, it's becoming clear that
    | the goals of the project are being met.
    `----

    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/21069

  2. Re: [News] Wine 1.0: RC Reached

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:36:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > [Wine 1.0 Releases Candidate Released]

    Who cares?
    If Linux has such great applications why do you Linux loons need to run
    Windows applications?

    Assuming of course you can actually get Wine to work which is doubtful
    depending upon the applications.

    > A friend of mine has just told me (verbally) that Microsoft is scanning the
    > Registry files to ensure there's no Wine there. Or... They check for the
    > configuration key for Wine and prevent it from updating. If you have it
    > installed on your computer, they block the configuration key

    Sure Roy, we believe you.
    Is this another one of those *reliable sources* you seem to pull from the
    pool of voices in your head?

    >. Bastards. He's
    > in the process of migrating... now installing Drupal and getting quite
    > excited.

    Drupal gets him excited?

    You Linux loons are even more far gone than I suspected.

    snip---the same crap Roy Schestowitz has been posting in other messages for
    weeks.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Wine 1.0: RC Reached

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: [News] Wine 1.0: RC Reached

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 11:23:22 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:36:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> [Wine 1.0 Releases Candidate Released]

    > Who cares?
    > If Linux has such great applications why do you Linux loons need to run
    > Windows applications?

    Because there are certain niche applications which have no Linux
    equivalent - prime example 'chairgun' - for computing airgun trajectories.
    Hardly software that every user needs.

    > Assuming of course you can actually get Wine to work which is doubtful
    > depending upon the applications.

    Yes, I am, thank you. The aforementioned chairgun and IE - which I need
    only for testing whether web sites display properly on a crippled ms base.

+ Reply to Thread