Linux numbers keep increasing - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux numbers keep increasing - Linux ; The numbers keep increasing. Small examples of Linux implementations: Oct. 06, 2005 http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS4254330887.html China will install a total of 141,624 new desktop computers running Linux in school classrooms this year. The PCs are ticketed for the Jiangsu Provincial Department of ...

  1. Linux numbers keep increasing

    The numbers keep increasing. Small examples of Linux
    implementations:

    Oct. 06, 2005

    China will install a total of 141,624 new desktop computers
    running Linux in school classrooms this year. The PCs are
    ticketed for the Jiangsu Provincial Department of Education, for
    an educational program called the School-to-School Project. They
    will run Sun Wah Linux's Debian-based RAYS LX.
    141,624 x $50 US = $7,081,200 US simple cost avoidance over
    Microsoft Windows licenses.

    May 21, 2007

    http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS5336100320.html

    The San Diego Unified School District has selected Novell's SLED
    10 (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) as the standard platform for
    its "Always-On Learning Initiative," a mobile computing
    initiative intended to help students achieve academic success and
    prepare them for life and work in the 21st century.

    [....]

    This school district turning to the Linux desktop and open source
    is not a small matter. The San Diego Unified School District is
    the second-largest school district in California, serving more
    than 130,000 students, 100,000 of whom are in grades three
    through 12.
    Apr. 24, 2008

    Brazil's Ministry of Education ("MEC") is installing Linux in
    labs used by 52 million schoolchildren, reports KDE developer
    Mauricio Piacentini. Piacentini's blog post describes MEC's
    "Linux Educacional 2.0" as "a very clean Debian-based
    distribution, with KDE 3.5, KDE-Edu, KDE-Games, and some tools
    developed by the project."

    [....}

    Piacentini says that typical labs use one server and seven
    satellite PCs, each of which supports two KVM (keyboard, video,
    and mouse) stations. Thus, most labs have 15 available
    workstations. For labs in rural locations with limited
    electricity, a single server can support up to seven KVMs.
    There's also a set-up with a large TV monitor for special needs
    children. Some 29,000 labs will be completed this year, with
    53,000 labs set up by the end of next year.

    Let's do the math:

    53,000 x 15 = 795,000 Linux desktops. At $50 US per license,
    that alone is $39,750,000 simple cost avoidance over Microsoft
    Windows licenses. Imagine that, a $40 million US savings in
    Brasil Education Labs only, not including other savings in other
    locations as well.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  2. Re: Linux numbers keep increasing

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper on Saturday :
    >
    >> The numbers keep increasing.

    > Most migrations are unannounced. They force Microsoft to lower
    > prices, give Windows for free or even put hardware on top
    > (i.e. pay people to use Windows). There's a reason why Apple,
    > IBM and Google are not Microsoft's #1 worry.

    Linux is growing and increasing in leaps and bounds.

    An added boost to Linux advocacy are advents of the likes of ASUS
    Eee PC. Eee has given people a first hand look at Linux
    Operating System. People ordering these include business
    executives, engineers, medical staff, financial managers and of
    course, those from all other walks of life.

    What they are finding out is that Linux GUI is very user
    friendly, very easy to use with very little learning curve. It
    is also lighter weight and performs spritely on hardware that XP
    wheezes on. Also, its security does not require an anti-virus
    subscription compared with Windows (at extra cost of course to
    out-the-door Windows version, not included in the Eee price).

    Linux on Eee PC is very good advocacy. First hand experience is
    a convincer. Just think, a CEO using his Eee PC pings his CIO,
    "Hey, have you seen this? This little guy packs a real punch.
    I've composed memos saved in Word format, E-sent to several, did
    some financial what-if's in Calc. Open Office is full featured
    and easy to use."

    "We could replace half our Microsoft licenses with Linux Desktop
    and Open Office. At 20,000 seats, that would save us $3 million
    US per year."

    It would be hard for a CIO to counter such argument, it could be
    career suicide.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati