Lying Asshole Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> XP SP3 crashes AMD machines
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One user reported, "I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after

completing the
> | processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to

load the
> | Windows. It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it

reboots
> | again."
> |
> | Angry users have also reported that, after the installation, it is

not even
> | possible to boot in safe mode, usually the last resort before

setting up a

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-amd-machines

> Appended at the very bottom is the possible explanation. Microsoft's

Windows
> programmers and management have left the building, leaving temps, cheap
> labours and newcomers that don't mind taking orders from convicted

criminals.
> The codebase gets worse over time.

According to Johansson, there appears to be two separate problems. One
affects only AMD-equipped PCs sold by Hewlett-Packard. "The problem is
that HP, apparently along with other OEMs, deploys the same image to
Intel-based computers that they do to AMD-based computers," said Johansson.

"Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same all have the
intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power
management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys
provides the same functionality. "