[News] Microsoft Patent Troll Myhrvold and Monopolistic Greed by Example - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft Patent Troll Myhrvold and Monopolistic Greed by Example

    Ideas Are Everywhere... So Why Do We Limit Them?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gladwell uses this to talk up what Myhrvold is doing, suggesting that
    | Intellectual Ventures is really about continuing that process, getting those
    | ideas out there -- but he misses the much bigger point: if these ideas are
    | the natural progression, almost guaranteed to be discovered by someone sooner
    | or later, why do we give a monopoly on these ideas to a single discoverer?
    | Myhrvold's whole business model is about monopolizing all of these ideas and
    | charging others (who may have discovered them totally independently) to
    | actually do something with them. Yet, if Gladwell's premise is correct (and
    | there's plenty of evidence included in the article), then Myhrvold's efforts
    | shouldn't be seen as a big deal. After all, if it wasn't Myhrvold and his
    | friends doing it, others would very likely come up with the same thing sooner
    | or later.
    |
    | This is especially highlighted in one anecdote in the article, of Myhrvold
    | holding a dinner with a bunch of smart people... and an attorney. The group
    | spent dinner talking about a bunch of different random ideas, with no real
    | goal or purpose -- just "chewing the rag" as one participant put it. But the
    | next day the attorney approached them with a typewritten description of 36
    | different inventions that were potentially patentable out of the dinner. When
    | a random "chewing the rag" conversation turns up 36 monopolies, something is
    | wrong. Those aren't inventions that deserve a monopoly.
    `----

    http://techdirt.com/articles/20080507/0114581051.shtml

    Patent troll in a suit. Exile seems like a good fit. They say the moon has good
    weather this time of the year...

    Days ago:

    In the Air

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nathan Myhrvold met Jack Horner on the set of the “Jurassic Park” sequel in
    | 1996.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | But then, in August of 2003, I.V. held its first invention session, and it
    | was a revelation. “Afterward, Nathan kept saying, ‘There are so many
    | inventions,’ ” Wood recalled. “He thought if we came up with a half-dozen
    | good ideas it would be great, and we came up with somewhere between fifty and
    | a hundred. I said to him, ‘But you had eight people in that room who are
    | seasoned inventors. Weren’t you expecting a multiplier effect?’ And he
    | said, ‘Yeah, but it was more than multiplicity.’ Not even Nathan had any idea
    | of what it was going to be like.”
    |
    | The original expectation was that I.V. would file a hundred patents a year.
    | Currently, it’s filing five hundred a year. It has a backlog of three
    | thousand ideas.
    `----

    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

    Related:

    Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
    | answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
    | of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
    | $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
    | universities in Asia." *
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Playing Microsoft Patent Poker

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This time though, while Ballmer slinks away to try to con … convince people
    | that Microsoft Unified Communications somehow offers people more than what
    | Cisco's VOIP (voice over IP) been offering customers for years, a patent
    | attack finally launches at Linux. Specifically, IP Innovation, a subsidiary
    | of Acacia Technologies Group, has filed a patent infringement claim against
    | Linux distributors Novell and Red Hat. * *
    |
    | So was it just timing, or was it something more? Let's take a look at the
    | players. *
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

    Top Ten Patent Trolls of 2007

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 3. Acacia. I didn't start tracking Acacia carefully until the summer. But
    | still, on my blog I have reported on over two dozen lawsuits brought by
    | Acacia this year, against more than 235 defendants. That's in addition to the
    | over 200 lawsuits Acacia filed in previous years against hundreds and
    | hundreds of defendants. And that's not including the two lawsuits (at least)
    | Acacia has filed in December against 20 more defendants (yes, Acacia, I'm
    | watching you). Acacia's business model, as a publicly traded company, is to
    | accumulate patents and sue as many companies as possible in order to extract
    | licenses. They have a market cap of over 275 million - that pays for a lot of
    | lawsuits. Unlike other trolls, Acacia tends to not focus on one court in
    | particular, although they have sampled the Eastern District of Texas more
    | this year than in the past.
    `----

    http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/200...s-of-2007.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Troll Myhrvold and Monopolistic Greed by Example

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 03:27:56 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    Oh dear...more bullcrap and not a shred of evidence to back it up...

    Are your masters getting annoyed at you Roy Schestowitz?

    They should be....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Patent Troll Myhrvold and Monopolistic Greed by Example

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic