[News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation - Linux

  1. [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Two Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives have introduced a bill
    | that would subject broadband providers to antitrust violations if they block
    | or slow Internet traffic.
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ty-bill_1.html

    Recent:

    New Site: The Toll Reads?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Net Neutrality refers to free access to the Internet without discrimination
    | based upon how often a user accesses the Internet or how much broadband
    | capacity they utilize. Advocates for Net Neutrality believe that users are
    | entitled to unlimited access in order to preserve current freedoms as well as
    | to prevent broadband providers from abusing their power to block applications
    | they do not favor or to discriminate between content providers. Critics of
    | Net Neutrality and associated legislative proposals believe that Net
    | Neutrality rules would reduce incentives to upgrade networks and launch next
    | generation network services and, in turn, inhibit the most efficient access
    | to the broadband network. * * * *
    `----

    http://www.netneutrality2008.org/About.html

    AT&T and Other I.S.P.'s May Be Getting Ready to Filter

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For the last 15 years, Internet service providers have acted - to use
    | an old cliche - as wide-open information super-highways, letting data
    | flow uninterrupted and unimpeded between users and the Internet.
    |
    | But I.S.P.'s may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.
    `----

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ter/index.html

    Related:

    The Land of "Nothing for free"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I was down there to give a talk on "Open Source Business Models"
    | for a conference. Also represented were entertainment industry
    | lawyers, "Big Telecom" management, and a smattering of software
    | people. Microsoft was there of course. You can't hold a church
    | fete with "Open Source" on the banner these days without Microsoft
    | turning up and requesting representation. At least we also had
    | Bruce Perens on our side to help make up the balance. The venue
    | eas an unbelievably expensive hotel. Even though I was on
    | expenses I balked at asking the company to pay for a room
    | there and found something cheaper (not by much) a few miles
    | down the road.
    `----

    http://samba.org/samba/news/articles.../column11.html

  2. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 03:24:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    Key words:

    could.
    Might.
    Maybe.
    What if...
    etc

    Typical Schestowitz.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 03:24:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    > Key words:
    >
    > could.
    > Might.
    > Maybe.
    > What if...
    > etc
    >

    > Typical Schestowitz.....

    And Rexford "Kingmaker" Ballard's.

  5. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    > U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill

    Fantastic news, but this is only a bill, not quite law yet.

    Still ... good to know people are fighting the cause.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:12:30 up 142 days, 22:48, 6 users, load average: 0.07, 0.14, 0.33

  6. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 02:12:49 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill

    > Fantastic news, but this is only a bill, not quite law yet.
    >
    > Still ... good to know people are fighting the cause.

    me 2 me 2....!!!

    So how far up Roy Schestowitz's ass is your head [Homo] ?
    Can you an Linonut actually fit in there at the same time?
    What about HPT?
    Ooopps..sorry, his ass is already full with Marti...
    Silly me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become AntitrustViolation

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:54:00 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 May 2008 02:12:49 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >>> U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill

    >> Fantastic news, but this is only a bill, not quite law yet.
    >>
    >> Still ... good to know people are fighting the cause.

    > me 2 me 2....!!!
    >
    > So how far up Roy Schestowitz's ass is your head [Homo] ? Can you an
    > Linonut actually fit in there at the same time? What about HPT?
    > Ooopps..sorry, his ass is already full with Marti... Silly me.

    .... and flatfish is still obsessed with Roy.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    ____/ Homer on Monday 12 May 2008 02:12 : \____

    >> U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill

    > Fantastic news, but this is only a bill, not quite law yet.
    >
    > Still ... good to know people are fighting the cause.

    Bill could kill the bill. Remember that Microsoft is no friend of net
    neutrality. But in reality, other parties are far more likely to do the 'dirt
    job', probably just bri^H^H^Hpaying some people and rigging some votes
    [1,2,3], just like Microsoft recently did (OOXML).

    ___
    [1] Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
    | acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
    | use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
    | are being told nothing about how the network technology works, *
    `----

    http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comca...hey-liars-too/

    [2] Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
    | hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
    | out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees. *
    `----

    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...C_hearing.html

    [3] Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...net-neutrality

    Allegations fly in FCC hearing aftermath

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast Corp. on Tuesday acknowledged hiring people to fill seats before the
    | start of a contentious federal hearing on how the company manages its
    | broadband network, allowing its employees to take those seats when the
    | filled-to-capacity hearing started. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/...net_regulation

    Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
    | to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
    | can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
    | the transmission of future packets. *
    |
    | According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
    | sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
    | from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

    Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
    | compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
    | Profile, Research) known as Google Apps. *
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071114?rpc=44

    FCC's Martin: Comcast blocking was widespread

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast's slowing of peer-to-peer traffic appeared to be more widespread than
    | the company has disclosed, the chairman of the US Federal Communications
    | Commission said this week.
    `----

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
    04:20:02 up 27 days, 2:32, 4 users, load average: 1.76, 1.95, 1.74

  10. Re: [News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

    wrote
    on Mon, 12 May 2008 04:27:13 +0100
    <2624317.45I5IxjNt5@schestowitz.com>:

    > ____/ Homer on Monday 12 May 2008 02:12 : \____

    >>> U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill

    >> Fantastic news, but this is only a bill, not quite law yet.
    >>
    >> Still ... good to know people are fighting the cause.

    > Bill could kill the bill. Remember that Microsoft is no friend of net
    > neutrality. But in reality, other parties are far more likely to do the 'dirt
    > job', probably just bri^H^H^Hpaying some people and rigging some votes
    > [1,2,3], just like Microsoft recently did (OOXML).

    Bear in mind that we only have a handful of high-level
    bandwidth suppliers here in the US. The ones coming to
    mind are Earthlink, Verio, Sprint, Comcast, and Level3.
    There's probably more but not that many. Anyone familiar
    with monopolistic competition in economics theory is going
    to worry a bit; they'll want to differentiate themselves.

    I'll admit my understanding of Net Neutrality is
    limited, but I get the feeling that one could construe
    the restriction of data (the euphemisms usually employed
    instead focus on the increase of data rate for preferred
    customers, but one wonders what they're really doing
    with the switches?) as a restriction of trade and/or
    manipulation of the market, if one can call delivery
    a market. However, the Web is primarily an advertising
    medium (who's paying for the server bandwidth?), though
    with a considerable amount of charity work (e.g. Wikipedia)
    as well.

    In any event, the Republicans will want to filibuster it
    in the Senate, if they don't like provisions therein.

    [rest snipped for brevity]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }