[News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Stresses Creativity, Usability; Thunderbird is Taking Off - Linux

  1. [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Stresses Creativity, Usability; Thunderbird is Taking Off

    OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta: Creativity Extended

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As you can see the 3.0 will sport a number of very interesting and useful
    | features, such as the ability to import PDF documents, switching language
    | inside one document, a new StartCenter, new icons, etc.I wanted to go a bit
    | beyond the list of new features and tell you about the effect that
    | OpenOffice.org 3.0 will have on its users and ultimately on the way we create
    | content share it and stay happily productive in this always-on world.
    `----

    http://standardsandfreedom.net/index...vity-extended/

    A New User Experience Team Logo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I'm happy to announce the new logo of the User Experience Team.
    | The main goal of the logo is to penetrate core values of the project:
    |
    | * Usability,
    | * Productivity,
    | * Enjoyment
    |
    | The three terms summarize in a very short manner what the User
    | Experience Team's overall goals are. The list below describes the
    | meaning a little bit more in detail...
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/...xperience_team

    Intresting news about the common mail client for OOo. These are some
    interesting statsics. Even the creator of E-mail uses Thundebird. It's the
    next Firefox.

    Has Thunderbird Finally Taken Off?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That seems not to be the case if these figures are at all representative of
    | the wider world. And even if they're not, it suggests early adopters are,
    | well, adopting Thunderbird in significant numbers.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...taken-off.html

    Recent:

    E-mail inventor: I didn't foresee spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He uses Thunderbird, an e-mail application developed by Mozilla, the company
    | which distributes the Firefox web browser, but he also has a Gmail account.
    |
    | He said he once had to use Outlook – “I didn’t find it particularly
    | attractive”, and that for a time he blocked all incoming messages from
    | Hotmail, “because they used to carry a lot of viruses – though they’ve
    | clamped down on that.”
    `----

    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3525110.ece

    Review: Thunderbird 2 e-mail software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Thunderbird 2 e-mail program may not get as much love from its makers at
    | the open-source Mozilla Project as their favored child, the Firefox () Web
    | browser, does. Nevertheless, Thunderbird 2.0.0.13 has a very strong feature
    | set, and does its job well; plus, if you are looking for an e-mail client
    | that works and looks exactly the same on most of the different operating
    | systems you may have to deal with, then Thunderbird's almost the only game in
    | town. * * *
    `----

    http://www.macworld.com/article/1326...rd2.html?t=104

    Thunderbird 3.0 to begin ascent next month: what to expect

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Thunderbird development community aims to release the first alpha of
    | Thunderbird 3 next month. Plans began to take shape yesterday during the very
    | first Thunderbird weekly status call meeting, at which developers discussed
    | potential features and other issues of relevance. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...to-expect.html

    Mozilla opens e-mail subsidiary

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Mozilla Foundation Tuesday opened Mozilla Messaging, a new subsidiary
    | focused on developing its free, open-source Thunderbird e-mail software.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0: New calendar, better search

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thunderbird 3.0 is due to ship by the end of the year with a more
    | comprehensive search feature and official integration of the Lightning
    | calendar add-on, said David Ascher, chief executive of the newly named
    | Mozilla Messaging subsidiary. The first alpha release will come sooner,
    | though, for those who want to test the software. * *
    `----

    E-mail client Thunderbird 3 to take wing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | David Ascher, head of the now independent spinoff of Mozilla provisionally
    | called MailCo, has presented a rough road map for the development of the
    | third version of the Thunderbird open source e-mail client. In the current
    | quarter, an alpha version is scheduled to be released followed by a beta
    | version in the second quarter, Ascher writes in a newsgroup entry. * *
    `----

    Mozilla shoots for quick Thunderbird 3.0 alpha

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I believe that it's really worthwhile to get a release underway. Testers
    | have only had nightlies for quite a while now, and the trunk is already
    | notably better than [Thunderbird 2.0] in a number of ways," Mosedale
    | continued. "Getting something that we're willing to recommend to a wider
    | group of people is a great way to demonstrate real progress." * *
    `----

    10 Reasons You Should be Using Thunderbird

    ,----[ Gist ]
    | 1. Open Source Add-ons
    |
    | 2. RSS Management
    |
    | 3. Unread Folders
    |
    | 4. Thunderbrowse
    |
    | 5. The Mozilla Foundation
    |
    | 6. Subject or Sender Quick Searc
    |
    | 7. Export Features
    |
    | 8. Usenet Support
    |
    | 9. Sort By
    |
    | 10. Adaptive Junk Mail Filtering
    `----

    http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2007...underbird.html

    Mozilla spins off development of Thunderbird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After lengthy discussions about the further development of its e-mail client
    | called Thunderbird, the Mozilla foundation has founded a subsidiary company.
    | Equipped with 3 million US dollars in startup capital, the subsidiary that
    | will handle Thunderbird will have David Ascher at the helm. *
    `----

    Three cheers for portable Thunderbird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thunderbird is the best e-mail program for Windows users, and the portable
    | version is the best version of Thunderbird.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-977...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Mozilla keeps Eudora alive, releases new version based on Thunderbird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Eudora team might have called it quits on commercial aspirations and
    | released the product as open source some time ago, but that doesn't mean you
    | should get the trash bin out just yet. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...on-thunderbird

    Giving Microsoft The Bird

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I used to be the biggest evangelist of Microsoft. All other software was
    | inferior. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I have been a huge Outlook user since the early days of Outlook Express.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The most immediate thing I?ve noticed is speed. It loads immediately, and
    | responds immediately. And that is with all of my Outlook data in-tact! After
    | I migrated my data I went to town with the extensions. I?ve listed them all
    | below, as I found some really cool ones. My favorites are the Lightning/GCal
    | add-on and the QuickFolders. * *
    `----

    http://christhis.com/archives/145/gi...osoft-the-bird

    Reviewing Features of Mozilla Thunderbird 2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In case it's not obvious, extensions are basically software utility
    | add-ons of varying complexity, while themes are user interface styles
    | that can somewhat dramatically change the look of the application.
    | Mozilla installs a single extension in Thunderbird by default-for
    | error reporting-and a single, default user interface theme. I
    | find the default Thunderbird theme to be pleasing and in keeping
    | with the standard Firefox look and feel.
    `----

    http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/05/0...thunderbird-2/

    First look: Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The one e-mail client that seems to still be on the rise is the
    | open-source Mozilla Thunderbird, which recently hit Version 2.0.
    | While it hasn't changed radically, the new release includes several
    | new features, most notably for organizing and finding messages.
    | In this review, we'll assess which additions are useful and
    | which are fluff.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...rce=rss_news50

    Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Though it's likely that I'll move back to Outlook full-time at some
    | point (I still use it for calendaring, actually), I have to admit
    | that I had intended to use Thunderbird for about a month and then
    | move on, but it's proven usable and efficient. Thunderbird is an
    | excellent and high-quality email solution, and while I'm guessing
    | that many of the people who read this site haven't really given it
    | a shot, my advice is to do so, especially if you can't get your
    | hands on Outlook 2007. Thunderbird is quite a bit better than
    | Windows Mail or Outlook Express, and while many Web-based email
    | services have improved with Ajax/Web 2.0-based interfaces, users
    | who have to manage a lot of email will be better off with a true
    | email application.
    `----

    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/thunderbird2.asp

    Thunderbird 2 Flies Ahead, Racing Web Mail

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To a certain degree, Mozilla's Thunderbird could be a victim of
    | the success of its browser sibling. As next-generation browsers
    | like Firefox have become better at supporting highly interactive
    | GUIs for browser-based applications, managing e-mail strictly
    | through a Web interface has become much less of a chore, and,
    | for some people, has even replaced desktop mail clients as thef
    | irst choice for dealing with e-mail.
    `----

    [Security:] Mozilla Thunderbird vs. Microsoft Outlook

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For me, I’m going to stick with anything but Outlook for email for the
    | reasons I’ve cited above.
    `----

    http://www.esecurityplanet.com/article.php/3702831

  2. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Stresses Creativity, Usability; Thunderbirdis Taking Off

    > http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...taken-off.html

    Interesting. Tbird's in the top 10. Does this mean it now qualifies as
    one of those so-called "killer apps" that the Widiots keep harping on about?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:48:41 up 142 days, 22:24, 6 users, load average: 0.05, 0.40, 0.59

  3. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.0 Stresses Creativity, Usability; Thunderbird is Taking Off

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 01:48:59 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...taken-off.html

    > Interesting. Tbird's in the top 10. Does this mean it now qualifies as
    > one of those so-called "killer apps" that the Widiots keep harping on about?

    Linux news readers suck (except for gnus and SLRN) so Tbird is the best of
    the worst.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: