DFS asks: "How do you like your Vista laptop?" - Linux

This is a discussion on DFS asks: "How do you like your Vista laptop?" - Linux ; Other person: "I hate it." DFS: "Why?" Other person: [pause]... "They changed things around. I have to do some things differently than XP." That was the sum total of his "hatred". He couldn't give me anything more concrete - though ...

  1. DFS asks: "How do you like your Vista laptop?"

    Other person: "I hate it."
    DFS: "Why?"
    Other person: [pause]... "They changed things around. I have to do some
    things differently than XP."

    That was the sum total of his "hatred". He couldn't give me anything more
    concrete - though I didn't push for details.

    Lucky for him he'll never have to use Linux in the work world (this was a
    meeting of developers and business analysts).

  2. Re: DFS asks: "How do you like your Vista laptop?"

    DFS wrote:

    > Other person: "I hate it."
    > DFS: "Why?"
    > Other person: [pause]... "They changed things around. I have to do some
    > things differently than XP."
    >
    > That was the sum total of his "hatred". He couldn't give me anything more
    > concrete - though I didn't push for details.
    >
    > Lucky for him he'll never have to use Linux in the work world (this was a
    > meeting of developers and business analysts).

    A fascinating insight.

  3. Re: DFS asks: "How do you like your Vista laptop?"

    DFS wrote:
    > Other person: "I hate it."
    > DFS: "Why?"
    > Other person: [pause]... "They changed things around. I have to do some
    > things differently than XP."
    >
    > That was the sum total of his "hatred". He couldn't give me anything more
    > concrete - though I didn't push for details.
    >
    > Lucky for him he'll never have to use Linux in the work world (this was a
    > meeting of developers and business analysts).

    The main problem I've found with Windows Vista is it is so slow...slow
    to boot, slow when running, slow network connections and slow to shut
    down. I use Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on my work tablet pc and have
    dual drives on my laptop at home one with an install of Windows Vista
    Ultimate and the other now With Ubuntu 8.04 so I believe I can make a
    fair comparison as I use all three.

    Just to point out, my hardware should be up to Vista requirements as I
    am running on a Lenovo T61p with 2.4 gz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of RAM
    and a 7200 rpm hard drive with discrete graphic card with 256M.

    While the look of Windows Vista is quite nice and I don't buy in to the
    arguments that it is more difficult to use than Windows XP and I can
    tolerate UAC because of the enhanced security it provides, I've set
    Ubuntu as the primary O\S I'm booting in to at home. The reasons are:

    1. It runs much quicker than Vista, there is no comparison. Vista is
    running using the 7200 rpm drive and Ubuntu is on a 5400 rpm drive and
    Ubuntu consistently blows Vista away from a performance perspective.
    2. Better security - admittedly viruses and spyware are targeted at Windows
    3. Keeping Ubuntu and all of the software I use within it updated is
    simple in contrast with Microsoft Update which is generally limited to
    only Microsoft updates. Minimal reboots needed in Linux.
    4. The savings in $ using open source vs Microsoft products is
    unbelievable. Do most of us really need a $350 MS Office suite for the
    things we do at home?
    5. Open source makes use of standards where Microsoft uses proprietary
    means to attempt to lock you in, for example Outlook Connector for use
    with WLHotmail\MSN and Delatsync in Windows Live Mail. Sure they also
    provide support for IMAP but try using it and you will see it is bug
    ridden and is that simply a coincidence or by design? I now use
    Thunderbird with Google and get a consistent standards based approach no
    matter which of the three operating systems I'm using.
    6. Microsoft's business practices seem unethical. The PC World article
    posted in this newsgroup today is an example. Put artificial barriers
    up so they control what the consumer can get on the market instead of
    the market freely and openly deciding that. The antics around the OOXML
    standard is another example.

    I'm not a huge gamer but if I was I would buy a PS3, Wii or Xbox so the
    ability to run high end games on a pc is not a priority for me. I
    certainly don't hate Microsoft products as I use them everyday and when
    it comes to the tablet pc they have the best solution available IMHO,
    however, the more I use Ubuntu and Linux the more I like it. Is it
    perfect, no, but are XP and Vista perfect, absolutely not.

    So while I don't hate Vista, the performance hit and the Micosoft way of
    doing business is what has made me start shifting towards Linux and Open
    Source. When I decide to buy a UMPC it will come with Linux not XP and
    I will be seriously looking at slowly transitioning many of my home
    computers exclusively to Ubuntu.

    The above may be a partial explanation of why when referring to Vista
    you heard:
    Other person: "I hate it."

  4. Re: DFS asks: "How do you like your Vista laptop?"

    : I use Windows XP Tablet PC Edition on my work tablet pc and have
    : dual drives on my laptop at home one with an install of Windows Vista
    : Ultimate and the other now With Ubuntu 8.04 so I believe I can make a
    : fair comparison as I use all three.

    What the Wintards don't seem to grasp is that we've all used many versions
    of Windoze, as well as Linux and more-than-likely something else too, so we
    have very good ground for saying that Vista is ****e.
    These, of course, are the same people who can't install anything that
    doesn't come with a wizard, so "Lynucks Sux!" - You know who they are!

+ Reply to Thread