Libre threat:

Free software takes on Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software was once almost exclusively borne of a grass-roots effort --
| with an anti-Microsoft bent -- seeking alternatives to paid software. The
| movement produced myriad programs, but only a handful of widely used titles
| such as the Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...technologyNews

Gratis threat:

IBM Offers Free Alternative to Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| For those who hate shelling out big bucks for programs like Microsoft Office
| Suite — the full standard version is listed on Amazon at upwards of $325—you
| might be interested in Symphony, a free suite that can be downloaded from an
| International Business Machines Corp Web site (Link Below).
`----

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...rosoft_office/

Microsoft's shot-in-the-foot threat:

Microsoft previews three critical bulletins; two for Office

,----[ Quote ]
| # A critical remote code execution vulnerability primarily affecting
| Microsoft Office (Word) and another critical remote code execution flaw in
| Publisher. Affected software includes Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003,
| Office 2007
|
| # A critical Jet database engine issue that affects Windows 2000, Windows XP
| and Windows Server 2003.
|
| # And a moderate bulletin was issued for a denial of service vulnerability in
| Windows Live OneCare, Microsoft Antigen, Microsoft Windows Defender,
| Microsoft Forefront Security.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1082

Four Microsoft Security Patches Due Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft plans to fix critical bugs in its Word, Publisher and Jet database
| software next week.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...next_week.html

Sales of Microsoft Office decline in the last quarterly report (details below
from Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley).

Recent:

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too. * *
|
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture. *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

Does Microsoft Need Yahoo Before Its Windows Shatter?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2008...s-shatter.html