Libre threat:

Free software takes on Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software was once almost exclusively borne of a grass-roots effort --
| with an anti-Microsoft bent -- seeking alternatives to paid software. The
| movement produced myriad programs, but only a handful of widely used titles
| such as the Linux operating system.

Gratis threat:

IBM Offers Free Alternative to Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| For those who hate shelling out big bucks for programs like Microsoft Office
| Suite — the full standard version is listed on Amazon at upwards of $325—you
| might be interested in Symphony, a free suite that can be downloaded from an
| International Business Machines Corp Web site (Link Below).

Microsoft's shot-in-the-foot threat:

Microsoft previews three critical bulletins; two for Office

,----[ Quote ]
| # A critical remote code execution vulnerability primarily affecting
| Microsoft Office (Word) and another critical remote code execution flaw in
| Publisher. Affected software includes Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003,
| Office 2007
| # A critical Jet database engine issue that affects Windows 2000, Windows XP
| and Windows Server 2003.
| # And a moderate bulletin was issued for a denial of service vulnerability in
| Windows Live OneCare, Microsoft Antigen, Microsoft Windows Defender,
| Microsoft Forefront Security.

Four Microsoft Security Patches Due Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft plans to fix critical bugs in its Word, Publisher and Jet database
| software next week.

Sales of Microsoft Office decline in the last quarterly report (details below
from Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley).

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too. * *
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture. *

Does Microsoft Need Yahoo Before Its Windows Shatter?

,----[ Quote ]
| And what happens if Windows becomes moot? Microsoft loses the foundation of
| its success–your desktop. If we agree that Google is building its empire
| around your web browser, it’s fair to say that Microsoft has built its empire
| around your operating system. If Microsoft Windows takes a huge hit, the
| company loses that solid foundation. But, if Microsoft can acquire Yahoo, it
| will find itself with a back-up platform–your web browser. * *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)