Ubuntu for Kids

,----[ Quote ]
| We settled on the idea of converting unused computers to Ubuntu desktops we
| could install at Cleveland Elementary school. Since its inception, we have
| installed seven desktops, and have 12 more being updated in my garage. We
| have also helped start a computer club on campus, which we attend once a
| month to instruct students. So far, the kids are loving it. It’s amazing how
| easily they gravitate toward the Ubuntu operating system, and how much they
| enjoy learning computers after school. I believe we have some future Linux
| Systems Administrators in the making.
`----

http://www.myintervals.com/blog/2008...untu-for-kids/

Another ongoing project is this:

Declaration of Lindependence

,----[ Quote ]
| That whenever any form of corporate software hegemony becomes destructive to
| these ends, it is the right of the people to abolish it and institute a new
| system, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in
| such form that ensures digital choice and digital freedom.
`----

http://lin08.wordpress.com/2008/05/0...lindependence/

Yesterday:

Xubuntu: Better than Ubuntu (at least for me)

,----[ Quote ]
| So my situation here at AEA has been pretty well stated in this blog, but to
| briefly reiterate where we are:
|
| There are approximately 200 workstations around campus for student use of
| which approximately 35 are Pentium 4 powered. The rest are either P3 or P2
| machines with around 256MB RAM.
|
| [...]
|
| Best of all I did a little accidental user testing with some 6th graders
| today and the results were great! Basically I had 3 classes today and in each
| one a kid jumped on the Xubuntu machine I set up yesterday. None of the three
| kids even mentioned the fact that their machine looked different from
| everyone elses, they all just hopped on firefox and got to work!
`----

http://hartmansblog.blogspot.com/200...least-for.html

Recent:

Canadian British Columbia's School District #73 opts for Debian GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Kamloops Thompson School District #73, British Columbia, Canada, with 55
| elementary and secondary schools, chose a majority of open source software on
| Debian GNU / Linux as it is easier to maintain and in their experience offers
| better support. *
`----

http://www.techforce.com.br/index.ph...3_chose_debian

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008