199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
| low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
| This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
| more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/19...ith_openoffice

The text is in German, but it's better than not knowing at all about what's
happening outside Land of Microsoft.

Recent:

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato. *
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards. * *
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ci...ich_and_german

The German Plan for Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The SAGA 4.0 document itself (PDF, 2.4 MB) states on page 114 that the Open
| Document Format (ODF) version 1.0 is a "Recommended" standard...
|
| [...]
|
| And it continues with stating PDF 1.4 as a mandatory standard (PDF 1.5 is a
| recommended standard, PDF 1.6 is a standard under observation).
|
| What are "Recommended" standards, "Mandatory" standards and standards "Under
| Observation"? Page 20 and page 21 explain the designations in full...
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...rman-plan.html

DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred *of the two thousand PCs used by
| the city council are now running OpenOffice.
|
| The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
| intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
| costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop. *
|
| The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
| to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7538

Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
| eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
| recommends ODF for text documents. *
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...to_recommended

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
| open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
| majority of the client systems. *
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...openoffice_org

German ERP software vendor adds OpenOffice.org support

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...re_vendor_adds

German portfolio analysis software supports OpenOffice.org

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...tware_supports

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work. *
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/200...king-into.html

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

Mayor of Munich opposes OOXML being made a Standard (German)

,----[ Quote ]
| Munich's mayor Christian Ude says in a letter to the Federal Minister for
| Economics and Technology, Michael Glos, he thinks there should be a
| clear "no" to the standardization of OOXML. The German Institute for
| Standardization (DIN) is currently evaluating how to vote in the ISO
| standardisation procedure. All the city needs, Ude indicates, is OpenDocument
| Format (ODF), already an ISO standard, and he believes competition is
| weakened by a competiting standards.... * * *
`----

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Muenc...meldung/105074
http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Further to a post from yesterday about an embargo on Microsoft:

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561