JVM now compiles with Sun Studio on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So, should we get excited about compiling OpenJDK/HotSpot? Doesnt Sun Studio
| on Linux already compile a bunch of industrial scale applications?
| Indeed we should. Some reasons why...
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/tatkar/entry/jv...piles_with_sun

Rich Green, viceprezident Sunu o open source

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. What do you see as the biggest gain this trend has brought to the company?
|
| The single biggest gain is, fundamentally, adoption. Getting more and more
| people to download, explore, learn about, appreciate, and deploy Sun
| technology. And the second biggest is community contribution. Building not
| only communities of users of the technology, but more and more people who
| have looked inside the technology and now begin to contribute back. So, by
| far, it's the adoption and community contribution.
`----

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozho...h-green?page=1

Sun gives some important software to GNU/Linux (recent examples below).

Recent:

Open Source Java Technology Debuts In GNU/Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ: JAVA), Canonical Ltd. and Red Hat, Inc.
| (NYSE: RHT), today announced the inclusion of OpenJDK-based
| (http://openjdk.java.net) implementations in Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.04 Long
| Term Support (LTS) Server and Desktop editions, furthering the promise of
| Sun's open source Java technology initiative. * *
`----

http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/pr/2008-...20080430.1.xml

First look: OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta a big step forward

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...p-forward.html