JVM now compiles with Sun Studio on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So, should we get excited about compiling OpenJDK/HotSpot? Doesnt Sun Studio
| on Linux already compile a bunch of industrial scale applications?
| Indeed we should. Some reasons why...

Rich Green, viceprezident Sunu o open source

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. What do you see as the biggest gain this trend has brought to the company?
| The single biggest gain is, fundamentally, adoption. Getting more and more
| people to download, explore, learn about, appreciate, and deploy Sun
| technology. And the second biggest is community contribution. Building not
| only communities of users of the technology, but more and more people who
| have looked inside the technology and now begin to contribute back. So, by
| far, it's the adoption and community contribution.

Sun gives some important software to GNU/Linux (recent examples below).

Open Source Java Technology Debuts In GNU/Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ: JAVA), Canonical Ltd. and Red Hat, Inc.
| (NYSE: RHT), today announced the inclusion of OpenJDK-based
| (http://openjdk.java.net) implementations in Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.04 Long
| Term Support (LTS) Server and Desktop editions, furthering the promise of
| Sun's open source Java technology initiative. * *

First look: OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta a big step forward

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta feels like a solid evolutionary update with
| a handful of new features that will be useful to various niche user groups.
| It certainly is still a beta, however, as the suite crashed at least once on
| both Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard during testing. If you want to
| put a copy of your own through its paces, though, compiled versions for
| Linux, Solaris, Windows, and Mac OS X (Intel Macs only) are available now
| from OpenOffice.org's beta download site.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFII65AU4xAY3RXLo4RAlW6AJ9gFc6pltusHYkJF9+nim TXw7qnXACbBpI1