Reliability Study Serves Up Good News For Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]
| It is interesting to note why Windows Server 2003 lost ground in this year's
| survey: Administrators spent more time patching security flaws than they did
| the previous year. On the other hand, we're still talking about less than two
| extra hours per year, on average. Just the fact that these kinds of
| differences are now so significant speaks volumes about just how much both
| Linux and Windows have improved over the past decade as server platforms.

Linux on the server sees reliability gains

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainstream Linux distributions for servers have caught up substantially with
| Unix in terms of reliability over the past year, while Windows Server 2003
| downtime has risen by nearly 25 percent...

Microsoft’s credibility turning to junk while Linux revenue grows

,----[ Quote ]
| Sweeping changes are needed in Microsoft’s go-to-market approach, and it may
| find more success by creating products like Live Writer, which found a huge
| following right away. Continuing on its current path, the company will
| continue to destroy its credibility and build animosity with users looking
| for quality products on their terms.

Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| Would you believe... that Microsoft has dropped down to #86 within the
| Fortune Best Places to Work survey? That's down from #50 in 2007 and #42 in
| 2006. Like a rock. In a bad way. And who is #1 for two years in a row? Grab
| that chair and give it a big effen toss in the air to Google! Toot! They get
| bigger and they're still #1.

Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, the world's largest software maker was also a winner, but it
| received the dubious honor of the brand most readers wanted to argue with,
| and the one they most wanted to revamp. Voted into second place in the
| category was brand USA.

Microsoft’s eco system: cracks in the reliability

,----[ Quote ]
| PlayForSure
| PlayForSure (DRM codename: Janus) was introduced by Microsoft in 2004/2005 to
| mark players which have been certified to follow Microsoft’s dream list:
| Windows Media Player compatibility, DRM support, MTP-only support, and so on.
| Originally this was also an attempt to push Ogg Vorbis out of the field. *
| The basic idea was that every player could be used on any Windows System
| which had Windows Media Player 10 installed. And that every player would play
| any music sold in any PlayForSure store. *
| [...]
| Outlook Express and Hotmail
| Outlook Express is an e-mail client shipped with all Microsoft versions since
| Windows 98 and before Windows Vista. Although it was responsible for many
| large scaled virus attacks and spreads due to a horrible security concept and
| had many more, other technical shortcomings and problems it was widely used.
| And it was of course often used with Microsoft’s own E-Mail service, Hotmail. * *
| [...]
| The last problem is still in development, and the outcome is not really clear
| at the moment. But the root of the problem is ISO’s adoption of OOXML.
| [...]
| Final words
| The main problem behind these cracks in Microsoft’s eco system is of course
| the lack of well proved, open standards. But since Microsoft is not willing
| to support standards, the cracks are there now, and they are huge. *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)