Want to leap to Linux from Windows, but one application holding meup. - Linux

This is a discussion on Want to leap to Linux from Windows, but one application holding meup. - Linux ; My wife is a Realtor and her MLS (Multiple Listing Service) - a database of real estate listings that she CANNOT function without - is loaded with ActiveX add-ons for IE. I have no experience with Linux, and so I ...

  1. Want to leap to Linux from Windows, but one application holding meup.

    My wife is a Realtor and her MLS (Multiple Listing Service) - a
    database of real estate listings that she CANNOT function without - is
    loaded with ActiveX add-ons for IE.

    I have no experience with Linux, and so I am trying to figure out
    generically if a Linux system can run IE and allow for ActiveX plug-
    ins, and more specifically, what notebooks are known to come in the
    most friendly distribution to allow for this functionality to be
    easily added?

    Thanks!

    -kP

  2. Re: Want to leap to Linux from Windows, but one application holding me up.

    kP wrote:

    > My wife is a Realtor and her MLS (Multiple Listing Service) - a
    > database of real estate listings that she CANNOT function without - is
    > loaded with ActiveX add-ons for IE.
    >
    > I have no experience with Linux, and so I am trying to figure out
    > generically if a Linux system can run IE and allow for ActiveX plug-
    > ins, and more specifically, what notebooks are known to come in the
    > most friendly distribution to allow for this functionality to be
    > easily added?

    Don't know what is this activex crapola you are running, but its
    dangerous (read you just have to look at web pages
    and you could get infected).
    More viri, bank detail stealing spyware, and malware
    are released PER DAY than repairs for them.
    So, its no longer a commercially viable solution to be running
    such flakey crapola!

    You should get the application ported to Linux
    and free OS with source code so that it can be maintained
    by any resource within your company.

    If you can't task that out to someone, then
    you can task someone to move everything to a virtual
    machine running on a dual or quad core CPU.
    VirtualBox for example will run those applications
    at 2x or 4x speed. Throw in say 8Gb RAM or more
    to allow the db to be cached fully in RAM for even
    more speed increase.

    I would still recommend steering off of UNREPAIRABLE windopws crapola.
    Its the only way to secure your future.

  3. Re: Want to leap to Linux from Windows, but one application holding me up.

    kP wrote:

    > My wife is a Realtor and her MLS (Multiple Listing Service) - a
    > database of real estate listings that she CANNOT function without - is
    > loaded with ActiveX add-ons for IE.
    >
    > I have no experience with Linux, and so I am trying to figure out
    > generically if a Linux system can run IE and allow for ActiveX plug-
    > ins, and more specifically, what notebooks are known to come in the
    > most friendly distribution to allow for this functionality to be
    > easily added?

    I access navicamls.net every single day with Firefox under Linux and have
    never had a problem with it. Now, is it Navica or is she accessing the MLS
    through a company-operated portal or other service?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Profanity, the language of computer professionals

    Good to the last supper

  4. Re: Want to leap to Linux from Windows, but one application holdingme up.

    kP wrote:
    > My wife is a Realtor and her MLS (Multiple Listing Service) - a
    > database of real estate listings that she CANNOT function without - is
    > loaded with ActiveX add-ons for IE.
    >
    > I have no experience with Linux, and so I am trying to figure out
    > generically if a Linux system can run IE and allow for ActiveX plug-
    > ins, and more specifically, what notebooks are known to come in the
    > most friendly distribution to allow for this functionality to be
    > easily added?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -kP

    Sorry about this one. MLS is a paid shill for M$, and all the code is
    virus prone M$ ActiveX.

    BUT! IE6 runs in WINE on Linux. Whether or not ActiveX can work is up to
    exploration and discussion. I haven't had time to test that, yet.

    http://www.liewcf.com/blog/archives/...er-6-on-linux/

    Another one is SOS (home school project, K-12 grades) is written with
    Dot NET. Another monopolistic tactic, following some arcane M$
    "standard" that is not compliant with Int'l Standards (ISO)...

    Have you seen the project that runs IE on Linux?

    You MIGHT run windoze in a virtual environment shell on a stable and
    fast Linux distro. Some folks have stated that Windoze actually runs a
    bit faster in a shell on Linux!

    VMWare has been released for desktop and server use, freely!

    Check for a helpful Linux Users Group near you,

    http://linux.org has a list

    http://lugww.counter.li.org lists some 700 LUGs, but, is currently
    offline due to machine failure... keep checking back there...

    And, Linux beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses, FREE!

    http://www.linux.org/lessons/

    I am part of a Non-Profit corp. that tests GNU/Linux and Open Source
    applications on legacy and modern systems, distributing thousands of
    free Linux computers to schools, home schooled children, worldwide.
    We might review the possibilities of running the MLS on our machines
    though it really doesn't serve our user base.

  5. Re: Want to leap to Linux from Windows, but one application holding me up.

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 09:28:57 -0400, AHappyCamper wrote:

    > Sorry about this one. MLS is a paid shill for M$, and all the code is
    > virus prone M$ ActiveX.

    A paid shill? I don't think that word means what you think it does.

    > Another one is SOS (home school project, K-12 grades) is written with
    > Dot NET. Another monopolistic tactic, following some arcane M$
    > "standard" that is not compliant with Int'l Standards (ISO)...

    Yeah, other than the fact that it's ISO standard 23720, 23272 and 25438.

    http://kahu.zoot.net.nz/ecma/

    Where do you come up with this stuff?

+ Reply to Thread