Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux - Linux ; On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh wrote: > I love when "experts" are idiots. And I love it when idiots are "experts". :-) (sorry, it was too easy) Now seriously: A computer running Oracle is by definition a dedicated ...

  1. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux

    On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > I love when "experts" are idiots.

    And I love it when idiots are "experts". :-)

    (sorry, it was too easy)

    Now seriously: A computer running Oracle is by definition a dedicated
    server. It needs a special kernel, among other things. You shouldn't
    run anything else on it.

    -Ramon

  2. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:55:36 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> I love when "experts" are idiots.

    > And I love it when idiots are "experts". :-)
    >
    > (sorry, it was too easy)

    Though completely meaningless.

    > Now seriously: A computer running Oracle is by definition a dedicated
    > server. It needs a special kernel, among other things. You shouldn't run
    > anything else on it.

    Proving further that the Oracle "expert" doesn't know what he's talking
    about.

    --
    "Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"

  3. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution:Red Hat

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >

    >> I love when "experts" are idiots.

    > And I love it when idiots are "experts". :-)
    >
    > (sorry, it was too easy)
    >
    > Now seriously: A computer running Oracle is by definition a dedicated
    > server. It needs a special kernel, among other things. You shouldn't
    > run anything else on it.
    >
    > -Ramon

    This may be true for Linux based systems but is not, AFAIK, the case for
    O/S's like OpenVMS, or Solaris. Yes, you do have set some memory
    allocation parameters to ensure that Oracle gets enough memory to run
    efficiently but that's not quite the same as a special kernel. For best
    performance, it helps to put Oracle on one machine and your
    application(s) on another but you certainly can run your application on
    the same machine; just be sure the machine has at least two CPU's and
    LOTS of RAM! It's probably a lot cheaper to run your applications on a
    second machine rather than beefing up one to do it all; Oracle charges
    for licenses based on the number of CPU's and they charge all the
    traffic will bear!!

+ Reply to Thread