Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux - Linux ; On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh wrote: > On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:27:33 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote: > > "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution - Red > > Hat - and ...

  1. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux

    On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:27:33 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution - Red
    > > Hat - and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code base.

    > Thus showing that the Oracle chief architect in question doesn't
    > understand Linux at all.

    He doesn't have to understand it. He has chosen not to understand it.

    Oracle Corporation is in the:

    "Corporate Server Business".

    The Oracle DB and most other apps do not run on "Linux". They run on
    an "Enterprise Linux".

    There is a huge difference.

    The fact that you can hack your iPhone and run some Linux derivative
    on it is inconsequential to Oracle.

    -Ramon

  2. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:46:45 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > On May 8, 12:39 pm, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >> On Wed, 07 May 2008 17:27:33 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> > "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution -
    >> > Red Hat - and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code
    >> > base.

    > > Thus showing that the Oracle chief architect in question doesn't
    > > understand Linux at all.

    > He doesn't have to understand it. He has chosen not to understand it.
    >
    > Oracle Corporation is in the:
    >
    > "Corporate Server Business".
    >
    > The Oracle DB and most other apps do not run on "Linux". They run on an
    > "Enterprise Linux".
    >
    > There is a huge difference.
    >
    > The fact that you can hack your iPhone and run some Linux derivative on
    > it is inconsequential to Oracle.

    Uh... Lucent/Avaya phone switches run Linux embedded on many of their
    components.

    Since I'm reading this in a Sun group... RedHat does not run on a Sparc
    station... but other distros do.

    RedHat does not run on PPC... but other distros do.

    This has nothing to do with a hack of an insignificant toy.

    --
    "Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"

+ Reply to Thread