What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival - Linux

This is a discussion on What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival - Linux ; Reason #1: it forces Microsoft to lower its prices, regardless of market share. Microsoft adjusts its prices in order to remain relevant. Free software keeps it on its toes in that respect. Apple, on the other hand, makes sales for ...

  1. What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    Reason #1: it forces Microsoft to lower its prices, regardless of market share.
    Microsoft adjusts its prices in order to remain relevant. Free software keeps
    it on its toes in that respect. Apple, on the other hand, makes sales for
    Microsoft (Office), keeps its prices up (fixing), and has Microsoft as a
    partner and shareholder.

    Reason #2: Linux dominates the embedded space, which is very large (probably
    orders of magnitude larger than the desktop, in terms of CPUs). It also
    controls supercomputers that are increasingly becoming part of the more
    universal network, including search engines (Hadoop comes to mind, bigtable).

    Reason #3: it shatters misconceptions about Microsoft's foundations, which are
    intellectual monopolies and other nasties like DRM. That's why Microsoft talks
    about 'education' (pollution of minds) as an anti-Linux tactic in its latest
    SEC filing.

    Looking at (1-3) again:

    * Linux lowers cost.

    * Linux enables real innovation, performance, efficiency (environment)

    * Linux enables people to be free and it democratises

    February 2008:

    "[If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?]

    [Steve] Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux,
    certainly have to go with that..."

  2. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    wrote
    on Thu, 08 May 2008 17:32:31 +0100
    <1539573.QTdYaRutb3@schestowitz.com>:
    > Reason #1: it forces Microsoft to lower its prices,
    > regardless of market share.

    Not 100% sure of that; if we're dumb enough to want
    Genuine Windows Vista Expensive Edition(tm), they're
    smart enough not to lower prices.

    > Microsoft adjusts its prices in order to remain relevant.

    Or monopolistic. ;-)

    > Free software keeps it on its toes in that respect.
    > Apple, on the other hand, makes sales for Microsoft (Office),
    > keeps its prices up (fixing), and has Microsoft as a
    > partner and shareholder.

    Apple has its own issues. One of them is that they have
    the notion of quality / fadness / etc., honed to a fairly
    high art. How useful is the iPhone, really? The Mac Air?
    And yet, both of them are considered cool and now and hip
    and neat and rad and sick and whatever the lingo is nowadays...

    (My nx9010 has a floppy, a DVD reader, and space for a true
    hard drive. Granted, flash drives are neat nowadays, but the
    Air needs an *external* DVD unit to read DVDs.)

    > Reason #2: Linux dominates the embedded space,

    Not sure about that, either; mobiles in particular mostly have
    Symbian. However, I'd have to look, and Microsoft's forays
    into mobile have been less than dominating, though there's
    a few phones flying around with some variant of Windows.

    > which is very large (probably
    > orders of magnitude larger than the desktop, in terms of CPUs).

    Most likely, yes.

    > It also
    > controls supercomputers that are increasingly becoming part
    > of the more universal network, including search engines
    > (Hadoop comes to mind, bigtable).

    Google coughed up
    http://hadoop.apache.org/core/
    and
    http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable.html

    > Reason #3: it shatters misconceptions about Microsoft's foundations,
    > which are intellectual monopolies and other nasties like DRM.
    > That's why Microsoft talks about 'education' (pollution of minds)
    > as an anti-Linux tactic in its latest SEC filing.

    Watch the spinning watch...you are getting
    sleepy....sleeeeeeepyyyyyy....

    > Looking at (1-3) again:
    >
    > * Linux lowers cost.
    >
    > * Linux enables real innovation, performance, efficiency (environment)
    >
    > * Linux enables people to be free and it democratises
    >

    > February 2008:
    >
    > http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat...tag=ne.fd.mnbc
    >
    > "[If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?]
    > |
    > [Steve] Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux,
    > certainly have to go with that..."

    Heh. Even if Linux were completely eradicated, there's
    still FreeBSD and HURD to contend with. It would kill
    a good chunk of the buzz, but OSS isn't that fragile.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

  3. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    I agree with a lot of what you wrote... but then I read this:

    - "Even if Linux were completely eradicated, there's still FreeBSD and
    HURD to contend with."

    I'm okay with the FreeBSD part. Actually I've always felt that FreeBSD
    doesn't get the credit and exposure it deserves.

    But HURD???? The project has basically been at a standstill for several
    years. Even the HURD website (http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html)
    hasn't been updated in a year and half. Right now OS/2 has better hardware
    support than HURD.

    Let's face it, HURD is a turd.

  4. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    In article <712cf5-0j7.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net>,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Apple has its own issues. One of them is that they have
    > the notion of quality / fadness / etc., honed to a fairly
    > high art. How useful is the iPhone, really? The Mac Air?
    > And yet, both of them are considered cool and now and hip
    > and neat and rad and sick and whatever the lingo is nowadays...
    >
    > (My nx9010 has a floppy, a DVD reader, and space for a true
    > hard drive. Granted, flash drives are neat nowadays, but the
    > Air needs an *external* DVD unit to read DVDs.)

    Did you really mean nx9010 there, or is that a typo?

    When I Google for nx9010, I find some HP laptop that is very heavy and
    has a small screen--not something I would think one would compare to an
    Air.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    On May 8, 1:11 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:

    > Let's face it, HURD is a turd.

    Hurd is a turd because of Linux. And Linux is what it is (0.6% market
    share) only because of Microsoft Windows. That's right, without
    Windows haters, Linux would be a turd too.

    So you can say, aside from Mac users, that only 0.6% of computer users
    (namely, those that use Linux exclusively) are dissatisfied with
    Windows.

    As a MSFT shareholder, I can live with that. It means almost 99.4%
    minus whatever share Mac has are OK with Windows.

    RL

  6. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Thu, 08 May 2008 13:19:45 -0700
    :
    > In article <712cf5-0j7.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net>,
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> Apple has its own issues. One of them is that they have
    >> the notion of quality / fadness / etc., honed to a fairly
    >> high art. How useful is the iPhone, really? The Mac Air?
    >> And yet, both of them are considered cool and now and hip
    >> and neat and rad and sick and whatever the lingo is nowadays...
    >>
    >> (My nx9010 has a floppy, a DVD reader, and space for a true
    >> hard drive. Granted, flash drives are neat nowadays, but the
    >> Air needs an *external* DVD unit to read DVDs.)

    > Did you really mean nx9010 there, or is that a typo?
    >
    > When I Google for nx9010, I find some HP laptop that
    > is very heavy and has a small screen--not something I
    > would think one would compare to an Air.

    The nx9010 is the one I have. ;-) It's not the most
    modern of units. And yes, it's quite heavy; I get
    good exercise just carrying my briefcase containing it.
    (As it turns out, it just fits in my briefcase. A larger
    display would not.)

    I don't pretend to be hip, just hopefully well-informed.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}

  7. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 08 May 2008 13:19:45 -0700
    > :
    >> In article <712cf5-0j7.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net>,
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> Apple has its own issues. One of them is that they have
    >>> the notion of quality / fadness / etc., honed to a fairly
    >>> high art. How useful is the iPhone, really? The Mac Air?
    >>> And yet, both of them are considered cool and now and hip
    >>> and neat and rad and sick and whatever the lingo is nowadays...
    >>>
    >>> (My nx9010 has a floppy, a DVD reader, and space for a true
    >>> hard drive. Granted, flash drives are neat nowadays, but the
    >>> Air needs an *external* DVD unit to read DVDs.)

    >> Did you really mean nx9010 there, or is that a typo?
    >>
    >> When I Google for nx9010, I find some HP laptop that
    >> is very heavy and has a small screen--not something I
    >> would think one would compare to an Air.
    >>

    > The nx9010 is the one I have. ;-) It's not the most
    > modern of units. And yes, it's quite heavy; I get
    > good exercise just carrying my briefcase containing it.
    > (As it turns out, it just fits in my briefcase. A larger
    > display would not.)
    >

    > I don't pretend to be hip, just hopefully well-informed.

    Don't worry. It's hip to be well-informed.

  8. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Reason #1: it forces Microsoft to lower its prices, regardless of market
    > share. Microsoft adjusts its prices in order to remain relevant. Free
    > software keeps it on its toes in that respect. Apple, on the other hand,
    > makes sales for Microsoft (Office), keeps its prices up (fixing), and has
    > Microsoft as a partner and shareholder.
    >
    > Reason #2: Linux dominates the embedded space, which is very large
    > (probably orders of magnitude larger than the desktop, in terms of CPUs).
    > It also controls supercomputers that are increasingly becoming part of the
    > more universal network, including search engines (Hadoop comes to mind,
    > bigtable).
    >
    > Reason #3: it shatters misconceptions about Microsoft's foundations, which
    > are intellectual monopolies and other nasties like DRM. That's why
    > Microsoft talks about 'education' (pollution of minds) as an anti-Linux
    > tactic in its latest SEC filing.
    >
    > Looking at (1-3) again:
    >
    > * Linux lowers cost.
    >
    > * Linux enables real innovation, performance, efficiency (environment)
    >
    > * Linux enables people to be free and it democratises

    Here's a 4th one -

    4. All new, old and beta versions of Windopws is UNREPAIRABLE.
    It is no longer a viable product for the desktop.
    Only Linux has the looks and feel as a product for the desktop.
    More VIRI, MALWARE and SPYWARE are released
    PER DAY for windowps than fixes for it - it is multi-billion dollar
    industry now with 50 million servers remotely administered by
    botnet operators and 320 million windowps desktop PCs
    remotely administered by botnet operators.

    > February 2008:
    >
    > http://www.news.com

    Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

    > "[If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it
    > be?]
    > |
    > [Steve] Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux,
    > certainly have to go with that..."

  9. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    On 2008-05-08, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On May 8, 1:11 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >
    >> Let's face it, HURD is a turd.
    >>

    > Hurd is a turd because of Linux. And Linux is what it is (0.6% market
    > share) only because of Microsoft Windows. That's right, without
    > Windows haters, Linux would be a turd too.

    Market share? What _is_ this bull****?

    Just because Microsoft has a monopoly ON DESKTOP PCs doesn't mean they
    have a monopoly on other architectures.

    > So you can say, aside from Mac users, that only 0.6% of computer users
    > (namely, those that use Linux exclusively) are dissatisfied with
    > Windows.

    You have no idea how many linux users are out there. You probably use
    linux on your system at home.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  10. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > On 2008-05-08, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On May 8, 1:11 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Let's face it, HURD is a turd.
    >>>

    >> Hurd is a turd because of Linux. And Linux is what it is (0.6% market
    >> share) only because of Microsoft Windows. That's right, without
    >> Windows haters, Linux would be a turd too.

    > Market share? What _is_ this bull****?
    >
    > Just because Microsoft has a monopoly ON DESKTOP PCs doesn't mean they
    > have a monopoly on other architectures.
    >
    >> So you can say, aside from Mac users, that only 0.6% of computer users
    >> (namely, those that use Linux exclusively) are dissatisfied with
    >> Windows.

    > You have no idea how many linux users are out there. You probably use
    > linux on your system at home.

    In the cold, dark alley of the OS world, folks with a survival mentality
    probably prefer to have knowledge of ALL that could be lurking in the
    shadows.

    Then, they can choose which is friend, and which is foe.

    Building >2000 systems this year for free distribution to school aged
    children, as a MAR (Microsoft Authorized Re-builder), our non-profit
    has chosen to only rebuild with Microsoft, those machines which have the
    COA, The rest will get Ubuntu, with the Edubuntu addon of school
    programs.

    This step will save over $10,000 in Microsoft licensing fees, better
    spent on other expenses that really contribute to the project.

    Another reason, we support the machines sent out for free to school
    children, and it appears that about 6 months of possession is long
    enough for Microsoft Windows to become so fragmented, bloated with
    virus, pop-ins, pop-ups, trojans, and exploits, that the machines are
    sent back to us for full re-installs.

    All will now get Ubuntu+ Edubuntu. Load times are about 2.5 hours for
    Microsoft XP, W2K, as opposed to the 41 minutes that volunteers spend
    the rebuilding environment...

    We couldn't continue to use legacy Microsoft OSes to meet our goals,
    even if Microsoft stopped charging us for the MAR licenses!

    It's the resources spent on installs, stupid!

  11. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    On May 12, 7:52*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:

    > > Analogy: a drug dealer handing out chocolate boxes to children

    > Better analogy. You and a pile of steaming dog ****. The difference is that
    > the pile of dog **** is probably smarter.

    Chocolate is not illegal. Making a profit is not illegal. MSFT is
    not illegal.

    RL

  12. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Tue, 13 May 2008 06:34:43 -0700 (PDT)
    <2d4aaa06-7178-4d8a-ac70-cf714f525c98@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>:
    > On May 12, 7:52*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >
    >> > Analogy: a drug dealer handing out chocolate boxes to children

    >> Better analogy. You and a pile of steaming dog ****. The difference is that
    >> the pile of dog **** is probably smarter.
    >>

    > Chocolate is not illegal. Making a profit is not illegal. MSFT is
    > not illegal.
    >
    > RL

    Criminals aren't illegal; it's the acts done thereby that
    we enforce against. The entire criminal justice system is
    slightly suspect (ideally, crimes would be well defined
    and everyone would simply know not to do those things
    -- but we're like grown-up children in some respects,
    always looking for an angle, and information transmission
    is rather imperfect; not everyone is a lawyer) but we
    are viciously against such things as racial profiling,
    "driving while black", and heavy tax burdens.

    (Or if not, I for one would think we should be.)

    As it is, I know of no pending criminal activity by
    Microsoft, except for the EU action; everything else was
    settled (settled way too cheap, methinks, but settled
    nonetheless).

    I don't know enough about the EU action to regard it as
    an allegation, a conviction, or a sentence, except that
    there are fines involved.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);

  13. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    On 2008-05-08, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On May 8, 1:11 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >
    >> Let's face it, HURD is a turd.
    >>

    > Hurd is a turd because of Linux. And Linux is what it is (0.6% market
    > share) only because of Microsoft Windows. That's right, without
    > Windows haters, Linux would be a turd too.

    This is of course trivially obvious and a little absurd.

    Yes, we "hate" Microsoft. We don't want to use their product.

    We want to use something else.

    Therefore we will seek that something else out.

    Given how bad Microsoft is, it doesn't really matter what it is.

    A two legged dog could run better.

    > So you can say, aside from Mac users, that only 0.6% of computer users
    > (namely, those that use Linux exclusively) are dissatisfied with
    > Windows.
    >
    > As a MSFT shareholder, I can live with that. It means almost 99.4%
    > minus whatever share Mac has are OK with Windows.

    Plenty of people use Windows without having any choice in the matter.

    They are just like the people before them that used MS-DOS without
    having any choice in the matter.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  14. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    On May 13, 12:57*pm, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > > Hurd is a turd because of Linux. *And Linux is what it is (0.6% market
    > > share) only because of Microsoft Windows. *That's right, without
    > > Windows haters, Linux would be a turd too.

    > This is of course trivially obvious and a little absurd.

    Thanks for agreeing with my statement JEDIDIAH--it is neither trivial,
    obvious or absurd. You basically conceded that the only reason people
    use Linux is that they hate Windows, not that Linux is better than
    Windows. Thanks again for that admission.

    > Yes, we "hate" Microsoft. We don't want to use their product.
    >
    > We want to use something else.
    >
    > Therefore we will seek that something else out.
    >
    > Given how bad Microsoft is, it doesn't really matter what it is.
    >
    > A two legged dog could run better.

    No, a better analogy is that a two legged man, Michael Johnson, could
    run better than a four legged dog assuming it's not a racing
    greyhound.

    > > So you can say, aside from Mac users, that only 0.6% of computer users
    > > (namely, those that use Linux exclusively) are dissatisfied with
    > > Windows.

    > > As a MSFT shareholder, I can live with that. *It means almost 99.4%
    > > minus whatever share Mac has are OK with Windows.

    > Plenty of people use Windows without having any choice in the matter.
    >
    > They are just like the people before them *that used MS-DOS without
    > having any choice in the matter.

    Before MS-DOS there was "DR-DOS" and a slew of other OSes. People
    adopted MS-DOS because they realized, unlike Linux users today, there
    are advantages from everybody adopting the same standard. Think of it
    like "rules of the road" where everybody agrees to drive on either the
    right or left side of the road. Otherwise it's utter chaos, as
    evidenced by the hundreds of Linux distros, all incompatible with each
    other. Choosing one OS as a standard is choice--a good choice, for
    both developers and users.

    RL

  15. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:46:52 -0400, wrote:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:

    >>> Hurd is a turd because of Linux. And Linux is what it is (0.6% market
    >>> share) only because of Microsoft Windows. That's right, without
    >>> Windows haters, Linux would be a turd too.

    >> Market share? What _is_ this bull****?

    raylopez99 a MSFT shareholder, clinging deperately
    to his mantra that "Linux is 0.6% market share".

    He looks like a cornered rat going down with the ship.

    When you look at it, MS went public in 1986 and has long hoarded its cash--now
    $43.4 billion-- & didn't issue their *first* dividend until Friday Mar. 07,
    2003. Even then it was only 8 cents a share.

    Oh yes, MicroSoft, the company that cares about its shareholders....as long as
    you can wait 17 years for a meagre return on your investment, while the
    principle characters pour cash into their own coffers.

    >> Just because Microsoft has a monopoly ON DESKTOP PCs doesn't mean they
    >> have a monopoly on other architectures.
    >>
    >>> So you can say, aside from Mac users, that only 0.6% of computer users
    >>> (namely, those that use Linux exclusively) are dissatisfied with
    >>> Windows.

    >> You have no idea how many linux users are out there. You probably use
    >> linux on your system at home.
    >>

    > In the cold, dark alley of the OS world, folks with a survival mentality
    > probably prefer to have knowledge of ALL that could be lurking in the
    > shadows.
    >
    > Then, they can choose which is friend, and which is foe.
    >
    > Building >2000 systems this year for free distribution to school aged
    > children, as a MAR (Microsoft Authorized Re-builder), our non-profit has
    > chosen to only rebuild with Microsoft, those machines which have the COA,
    > The rest will get Ubuntu, with the Edubuntu addon of school programs.
    >
    > This step will save over $10,000 in Microsoft licensing fees, better spent
    > on other expenses that really contribute to the project.
    >
    > Another reason, we support the machines sent out for free to school
    > children, and it appears that about 6 months of possession is long enough
    > for Microsoft Windows to become so fragmented, bloated with virus,
    > pop-ins, pop-ups, trojans, and exploits, that the machines are sent back
    > to us for full re-installs.
    >
    > All will now get Ubuntu+ Edubuntu. Load times are about 2.5 hours for
    > Microsoft XP, W2K, as opposed to the 41 minutes that volunteers spend
    > rebuilding environment...
    >
    > We couldn't continue to use legacy Microsoft OSes to meet our goals, even
    > if Microsoft stopped charging us for the MAR licenses!
    >
    > It's the resources spent on installs, stupid!

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  16. Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

    On May 14, 5:16*am, William Poaster wrote:

    > raylopez99 a MSFT shareholder, clinging deperately
    > to his mantra that "Linux is 0.6% market share".
    >
    > He looks like a cornered rat going down with the ship.
    >
    > When you look at it, MS went public in 1986 and has long hoarded its cash--now
    > $43.4 billion-- & didn't issue their *first* dividend until Friday Mar. 07,
    > 2003. Even then it was only 8 cents a share.
    >
    > Oh yes, MicroSoft, the company that cares about its shareholders....as long as
    > you can wait 17 years for a meagre return on your investment, while the
    > principle characters pour cash into their own coffers.

    I agree MSFT has been frugal with their dividends. I disagreed with
    their decision to build the X-box, and to build hardware (KB, mouse,
    etc), while I wish they would take over Logitech, and I disagreed with
    their decision to try and acquire Yahoo (and am glad the bid failed).

    But as a shareholder I have a vote in what MSFT does. You, as an
    outsider, can only hope and pray that someday MSFT users will get fed
    up with Windows and move to Linux. Hate to tell you (im)Poaster, but
    that day ain't gonna happen in our lifetime. People do not give up
    driving in a modern automobile because a go-cart or mule cart (Linux)
    is cheaper. People who are rich want to be productive, and don't want
    to depend on the charity of strangers if something needs fixing. Can
    you imagine if Linux was hacked, and a patch had to be issued, and
    millions of dollars were waiting on the outcome, and the developer who
    gets in wrong might get sued by OS users--what would happen? Linux
    would seize up and freeze. That's one reason (among many) that nobody
    wants to use LInux--nobody is accountable for Linux. Tragedy of the
    Commons, fool, as economists have written about. Google that fool
    while your soul gets closer to roasting you know where, pseudo-
    historian atheist fool. You and Andrew.

    RL

+ Reply to Thread