Does Dell disrespect the Linux community? - Linux

This is a discussion on Does Dell disrespect the Linux community? - Linux ; Dell is willing to sell some machines with Ubuntu installed, but a simple apples to apples comparison shows that they are playing the Linuxers as saps. If you price the Linux laptop Inspiron 1525N versus the Windows Vista 1525 with ...

  1. Does Dell disrespect the Linux community?

    Dell is willing to sell some machines with Ubuntu installed, but a simple
    apples to apples comparison shows that they are playing the Linuxers as
    saps. If you price the Linux laptop Inspiron 1525N versus the Windows Vista
    1525 with the same hardware, it is $145 more for the Ubuntu machine if you
    select the 1 year hardware warranty and OS call-in support that is included
    in the base for Windows. If you accept mail-in service and skip support for
    the OS, you can save $50 over the Windows price.

    But anyone who is capable of doing their own install could just as easily
    buy the Windows version and install Ubuntu as a dual boot and still have the
    extended service warranty for a lot less.

    I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank.

  2. Re: Does Dell disrespect the Linux community?

    "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    news:48231b10$0$25754$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...
    > Dell is willing to sell some machines with Ubuntu installed, but a simple
    > apples to apples comparison shows that they are playing the Linuxers as
    > saps. If you price the Linux laptop Inspiron 1525N versus the Windows
    > Vista 1525 with the same hardware, it is $145 more for the Ubuntu machine
    > if you select the 1 year hardware warranty and OS call-in support that is
    > included in the base for Windows. If you accept mail-in service and skip
    > support for the OS, you can save $50 over the Windows price.
    >
    > But anyone who is capable of doing their own install could just as easily
    > buy the Windows version and install Ubuntu as a dual boot and still have
    > the extended service warranty for a lot less.
    >
    > I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank.

    According to a recent thread claiming that "Dell linux sales are doing well"
    it's evident that a lot of these linux users are idiots for overpaying Dell
    for something they could have gotten for substantially less.

  3. Re: Does Dell disrespect the Linux community?

    On Thu, 8 May 2008 11:23:56 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > Dell is willing to sell some machines with Ubuntu installed, but a simple
    > apples to apples comparison shows that they are playing the Linuxers as
    > saps. If you price the Linux laptop Inspiron 1525N versus the Windows Vista
    > 1525 with the same hardware, it is $145 more for the Ubuntu machine if you
    > select the 1 year hardware warranty and OS call-in support that is included
    > in the base for Windows. If you accept mail-in service and skip support for
    > the OS, you can save $50 over the Windows price.
    >
    > But anyone who is capable of doing their own install could just as easily
    > buy the Windows version and install Ubuntu as a dual boot and still have the
    > extended service warranty for a lot less.
    >
    > I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank.

    Linux machines offered from larger manufacturers are typically more
    expensive than their Windows counterparts.
    I could never figure out why but I suspect these companies are laughing at
    the Linux loons for paying more to get less.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Does Dell disrespect the Linux community?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic