This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900" - Linux

This is a discussion on This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900" - Linux ; EOS wrote: > Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > >>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../05/08/1247238 >>> >>> >>> >>> "It sounds crazy to say this, but the XP-based version of the Eee >>> PC 900 (the new version with the 8.9" screen) will actually be >>> ...

  1. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    EOS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../05/08/1247238
    >>>

    >>> "It sounds crazy to say this, but the XP-based version of the Eee
    >>> PC 900 (the new version with the 8.9" screen) will actually be
    >>> considerably cheaper than the Linux-based version. At the official
    >>> launch today, the company told journalists that 'Microsoft has been
    >>> a longstanding supporter of Asus' to explain the price discrepancy.
    >>> And - get this - only the XP-based machine will be sold at
    >>> mass-market retailers, while the Linux-based model will be
    >>> consigned to computer stores."

    >> Yet another nail in the Linux coffin......
    >>
    >> Let's see how the Linux loons try and spin this one.

    > winXP is 7 years old, the used distro is ........ years/months/days
    > old I won't compair this two OS!

    The compair [sic] would really embarrass linux, huh.

  2. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 02:41:24 -0400, Rick wrote:
    >>Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Yet another nail in the Linux coffin......
    >>>
    >>> Let's see how the Linux loons try and spin this one.
    >>>

    >>... as opposed to your FUD, bigot?

    >>AGAIN, how can an Eee with Windows and MS software, which costs $ be
    >>cheaper than the an Eee with software that costs $0?

    > Simple: Microsoft has to pay company's like assu to use their software.

    Evidence?

    > Get the EeePC w/ windows XP and wipe it off. Problem solved.
    > I notice that microsoft isn't trying to run vista on it.

    It isn't exactly a powerful machine.
    Let me know if it will run Ubuntu 8.04 with all the whizzy bits, I might buy
    one if its that powerful.

  3. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 14:16:10 -0700, chrisv wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    no_d2=1&sid=08/05/08/1247238

    >>> Try reading the link. The Eee with Windows has 12GB of storage and
    >>> the linux model has 8GB. So for an extra $50 ($650 vs. $600) you
    >>> increase your storage by 50%.

    >> "To cover the licence cost associated with Windows XP Home and
    >> Microsoft Works ... the XP model has just 12GB of storage, while the
    >> Linux version has 20GB".
    >>
    >> Supposedly, they cut the RAM to pay for Windows and Works... so the
    >> price of the Linux machine should still be at least the same.

    > They're charging more for all the Linux support calls they will have to
    > handle. There's not a support issue with the Windows machines.

    .... and how do you know this?

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 22:43:35 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 9 May 2008 22:19:19 +0100, dennis@home
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    no_d2=1&sid=08/05/08/1247238

    >>>Evidence?

    >>>It isn't exactly a powerful machine.
    >>>Let me know if it will run Ubuntu 8.04 with all the whizzy bits, I
    >>>might buy
    >>>one if its that powerful.

    >> It is trivial to make ubuntu work just fine on that machine.
    >>
    >> The same can't be said for vista. The insane flab of vista can't be
    >> turned
    >> off.
    >>

    > So you are saying Ubuntu doesn't run unless you turn the flab off?

    He didn't say that at all. He said it is trivial to make ubuntu work just
    fine on that machine.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    Rick wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 22:43:35 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> "AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>> It is trivial to make ubuntu work just fine on that machine.
    >>>
    >>> The same can't be said for vista. The insane flab of vista can't be
    >>> turned
    >>> off.
    >>>

    >> So you are saying Ubuntu doesn't run unless you turn the flab off?

    > He didn't say that at all. He said it is trivial to make ubuntu work
    > just fine on that machine.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

    ....oh stop it, my sides hurt.

  6. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    Rick wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 14:16:10 -0700, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> "To cover the licence cost associated with Windows XP Home and
    >>> Microsoft Works ... the XP model has just 12GB of storage, while the
    >>> Linux version has 20GB".
    >>>
    >>> Supposedly, they cut the RAM to pay for Windows and Works... so the
    >>> price of the Linux machine should still be at least the same.

    >> They're charging more for all the Linux support calls they will have
    >> to handle. There's not a support issue with the Windows machines.

    > ... and how do you know this?

  7. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 14:31:46 -0700, Rebecca wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>> They're charging more for all the Linux support calls they will have
    >>> to handle. There's not a support issue with the Windows machines.

    >> ... and how do you know this?

    SO.. you can't answer either ....

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 May 2008 22:19:19 +0100, dennis@home
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>> Simple: Microsoft has to pay company's like assu to use their software.

    >>Evidence?

    >>> Get the EeePC w/ windows XP and wipe it off. Problem solved.
    >>> I notice that microsoft isn't trying to run vista on it.

    >>It isn't exactly a powerful machine.
    >>Let me know if it will run Ubuntu 8.04 with all the whizzy bits, I might
    >>buy
    >>one if its that powerful.

    > It is trivial to make ubuntu work just fine on that machine.
    >
    > The same can't be said for vista. The insane flab of vista can't be
    > turned
    > off.

    So you are saying Ubuntu doesn't run unless you turn the flab off?

  9. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    On Fri, 9 May 2008 22:43:35 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 9 May 2008 22:19:19 +0100, dennis@home
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>>Evidence?

    >>>It isn't exactly a powerful machine.
    >>>Let me know if it will run Ubuntu 8.04 with all the whizzy bits, I might
    >>>buy
    >>>one if its that powerful.

    >> It is trivial to make ubuntu work just fine on that machine.
    >>
    >> The same can't be said for vista. The insane flab of vista can't be
    >> turned
    >> off.
    >>

    >So you are saying Ubuntu doesn't run unless you turn the flab off?

    I'm not talking about flab, you ****ing idiot. I'm talking about flashy 3D
    effects.

  10. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 22:19:19 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >> Get the EeePC w/ windows XP and wipe it off. Problem solved. I notice
    >> that microsoft isn't trying to run vista on it.

    > It isn't exactly a powerful machine.
    > Let me know if it will run Ubuntu 8.04 with all the whizzy bits, I might
    > buy one if its that powerful.

    I don't have a 901 (yet) but Mandriva 2008.1 (spring) runs perfectly on
    my 701 4G, and from other machines I've done testing on, Ubuntu 8.04 and
    Mandriva 2008.1 have similar memory footprints and processor loads.

  11. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:TfGdnTnLTKVTXbnVnZ2dnUVZ_vGdnZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 22:43:35 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> "AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    > no_d2=1&sid=08/05/08/1247238

    >>> It is trivial to make ubuntu work just fine on that machine.
    >>>
    >>> The same can't be said for vista. The insane flab of vista can't be
    >>> turned
    >>> off.
    >>>

    >> So you are saying Ubuntu doesn't run unless you turn the flab off?

    > He didn't say that at all. He said it is trivial to make ubuntu work just
    > fine on that machine.

    IME you can make it work on a low powered machine but it isn't any quicker
    than vista on this R70, so I will repeat what I said do you need to turn the
    flab off?

  12. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    On 10 May 2008 00:15:18 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >On Fri, 09 May 2008 22:19:19 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    >>> Get the EeePC w/ windows XP and wipe it off. Problem solved. I notice
    >>> that microsoft isn't trying to run vista on it.

    >> It isn't exactly a powerful machine.
    >> Let me know if it will run Ubuntu 8.04 with all the whizzy bits, I might
    >> buy one if its that powerful.

    >I don't have a 901 (yet) but Mandriva 2008.1 (spring) runs perfectly on
    >my 701 4G, and from other machines I've done testing on, Ubuntu 8.04 and
    >Mandriva 2008.1 have similar memory footprints and processor loads.

    I don't know where windows users get the insane notion that all operating
    systems are as bloated as windows.

    As linux progresses, its resource requirements have not increased.
    They've decreased if anthing.

    One doesn't buy a faster computer for the damn operating system. The fast
    computer is for running applications that need the horsepower.

  13. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad

    wrote
    on Fri, 09 May 2008 18:34:41 -0500
    :

    >>> It isn't exactly a powerful machine.
    >>> Let me know if it will run Ubuntu 8.04 with all the whizzy bits, I might
    >>> buy one if its that powerful.

    >>I don't have a 901 (yet) but Mandriva 2008.1 (spring) runs perfectly on
    >>my 701 4G, and from other machines I've done testing on, Ubuntu 8.04 and
    >>Mandriva 2008.1 have similar memory footprints and processor loads.

    > I don't know where windows users get the insane notion that all operating
    > systems are as bloated as windows.

    Assuming "OS" = "distro" in this context, I for one like the
    segmentation Linux distros such as Gentoo offer. If I need
    a utility, I can emerge it (or use rpm, yum, dpkg, or whatever,
    depending on distro). It can get as big as I want, sort of
    the reverse of peeling an onion. (Or maybe making a pearl
    would be a slightly better analogy.)

    > As linux progresses, its resource requirements have not increased.
    > They've decreased if anthing.

    Oh, I wouldn't say that; if one includes KDE and Gnome the
    resource requirements have definitely increased, to the
    extent that a modern Debian distro can no longer run on
    a 486ish 16 MB ancient piece of crud, if one fires up X.
    (Not that a contemporary Debian distro could run on that
    16 MB piece of crud with any speed anyway, since the CPU
    was rather slower.)

    The X server alone on my work box is consuming 30 megabytes
    of virtual memory.

    Still faster than Windows, though. Part of that might be
    my system's requirement (on the Windows side) to scan for
    those darned viruses, and part of it's simply the fact
    that I have to do an extra click to activate a window
    on Windows. That just annoys me.

    > One doesn't buy a faster computer for the
    > damn operating system. The fast computer is for
    > running applications that need the horsepower.

    Or to increase frame rate when playing certain computer games. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  14. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    Rick wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 May 2008 14:31:46 -0700, Rebecca wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> ... and how do you know this?

    > SO.. you can't answer either ....

    No, just not going to do simple reasoning for you.

  15. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    seani wrote:

    > If they were selling XP, you might have a case (and I stress *might*)
    > but in this case, it appears they are prepared to not only give it
    > away, but to subsidise it. Oh dear.

    You don't mind, do you dearie, seeing as how Linux was built on subsidies
    from the minute it was released, and for the next 17 years?

  16. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 18:08:03 -0700, Rebecca wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >> SO.. you can't answer either ....

    > No, just not going to do simple reasoning for you.

    SO.. you can't answer either ....

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    What flab are you talking about?

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    "Subway steel" writes:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:j8GdnfLO_r0j8r7VnZ2dnUVZ_oLinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Thu, 08 May 2008 10:36:26 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../05/08/1247238
    >>>

    >>> "It sounds crazy to say this, but the XP-based version of the Eee PC 900
    >>> (the new version with the 8.9" screen) will actually be considerably
    >>> cheaper than the Linux-based version. At the official launch today, the
    >>> company told journalists that 'Microsoft has been a longstanding
    >>> supporter of Asus' to explain the price discrepancy. And - get this -
    >>> only the XP-based machine will be sold at mass-market retailers, while
    >>> the Linux-based model will be consigned to computer stores."
    >>>

    >>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> Maybe someone can tell us how it is cheaper to install an OS that costs
    >> any $, rather than one that costs $0.

    > From what I can tell the Eee 900 ships with either XP or Linux. Obviously XP
    > is Microsoft Windows XP but it looks like the specific Linux distro is
    > "Xandros" is it not? And isn't Xandros one of the Linux companies that
    > signed that patent-deal with Microsoft

    What do you mean "it looks like"? The Linux on it is Xandros based and
    is a totally custom UI? But then you knew this.

  19. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:36:26 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> "It sounds crazy to say this, but the XP-based version of the Eee PC 900
    >> (the new version with the 8.9" screen) will actually be considerably cheaper
    >> than the Linux-based version. At the official launch today, the company told
    >> journalists that 'Microsoft has been a longstanding supporter of Asus' to
    >> explain the price discrepancy. And - get this - only the XP-based machine
    >> will be sold at mass-market retailers, while the Linux-based model will be
    >> consigned to computer stores."
    >>

    > Yet another nail in the Linux coffin......
    > Let's see how the Linux loons try and spin this one.

    The machines with Linux preloaded has larger storage, but the funny
    thing I noticed when I checked the prices at the net, was that I found
    that the Linux version with the 20G SSD cost $585.00 while the micorosft
    version with the small 12G SSD cost only $589.99, which makes me believe
    that Angus Kidman was wrong when he wrote his short article at apcmag.

    --

    //Aho

  20. Re: This can't be good - "XP Cheaper Than Linux On Eee 900"

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    >> >
    >> > Please explain how?
    >> >

    >> Tell me Hadron, why *would* the XP based version of the 900 be cheaper
    >> than the Linux version?
    >>
    >> What *possible* motivation and mechanism could there that would allow
    >> the XP version to be offered more cheaply? Charity?

    > How about the fact that the XP version has only 60% of the non-volatile
    > storage that the Linux version has?

    Quite right, I didn't read your other reply properly, or check the specs. at
    source; mea culpa.

    The point still stands though; the eee is not by any stretch of the
    imagination a natural progression for MS OS, and MS certainly don't want to
    extend the lifetime of XP.

    If no one is worried that Linux will prove to be a successful match and that
    a chance for genuine comparison to MS OS will be detrimental, why make the
    effort?

    The danger of direct comparison aside, the problem (and this goes for
    hardware manufacturers as well) is that people will realise what they
    actually need their PCs for rather the swallow what is being sold to them.