Xubuntu: Better than Ubuntu (at least for me)

,----[ Quote ]
| So my situation here at AEA has been pretty well stated in this blog, but to
| briefly reiterate where we are:
|
| There are approximately 200 workstations around campus for student use of
| which approximately 35 are Pentium 4 powered. The rest are either P3 or P2
| machines with around 256MB RAM.
|
| [...]
|
| Best of all I did a little accidental user testing with some 6th graders
| today and the results were great! Basically I had 3 classes today and in each
| one a kid jumped on the Xubuntu machine I set up yesterday. None of the three
| kids even mentioned the fact that their machine looked different from
| everyone elses, they all just hopped on firefox and got to work!
`----

http://hartmansblog.blogspot.com/200...least-for.html

Recent:

Canadian British Columbia's School District #73 opts for Debian GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Kamloops Thompson School District #73, British Columbia, Canada, with 55
| elementary and secondary schools, chose a majority of open source software on
| Debian GNU / Linux as it is easier to maintain and in their experience offers
| better support. *
`----

http://www.techforce.com.br/index.ph...3_chose_debian

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva school district
| will gradually be moving to Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]