New OpenOffice to support Microsoft OOXML. But has problems handling ODF format. - Linux

This is a discussion on New OpenOffice to support Microsoft OOXML. But has problems handling ODF format. - Linux ; http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...p-forward.html Another touted area of improvement for OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta is its support for the ODF 1.2 ISO standard, as well as the ability to open files created in Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows and 2008 for Mac (.docx, .xlsx, ...

  1. New OpenOffice to support Microsoft OOXML. But has problems handling ODF format.

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...p-forward.html

    Another touted area of improvement for OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta is its
    support for the ODF 1.2 ISO standard, as well as the ability to open files
    created in Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows and 2008 for Mac (.docx, .xlsx,
    ..pptx, etc.). In our brief testing, however, we found this file format
    support to be a mixed bag. Most documents saved in the newer Office formats
    looked fine on both the latest Windows and Mac suites, but formatting quirks
    appeared in some of them when opened in the OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta.

    Page breaks sometimes appear in documents where none are specified, and a
    number of text rendering and formatting issues appeared in PowerPoint
    documents.

  2. Re: New OpenOffice to support Microsoft OOXML. But has problems handling ODF format.

    Ezekiel wrote:

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...p-forward.html

    > Another touted area of improvement for OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta is its
    > support for the ODF 1.2 ISO standard, as well as the ability to open files
    > created in Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows and 2008 for Mac (.docx,
    > .xlsx, .pptx, etc.). In our brief testing, however, we found this file
    > format support to be a mixed bag. Most documents saved in the newer Office
    > formats looked fine on both the latest Windows and Mac suites, but
    > formatting quirks appeared in some of them when opened in the
    > OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta.
    >
    > Page breaks sometimes appear in documents where none are specified, and a
    > number of text rendering and formatting issues appeared in PowerPoint
    > documents.

    The key word here is 'beta'.

  3. Re: New OpenOffice to support Microsoft OOXML. But has problems handling ODF format.

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 15:21:39 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    > The key word here is 'beta'.

    Trollboi getting desperate, it seems.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  4. Re: New OpenOffice to support Microsoft OOXML. But has problemshandling ODF format.

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 10:08:26 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ok-openoffice-

    org-3-0-beta-a-big-step-forward.html

    > Another touted area of improvement for OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta is its
    > support for the ODF 1.2 ISO standard, as well as the ability to open
    > files created in Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows and 2008 for Mac
    > (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc.). In our brief testing, however, we found
    > this file format support to be a mixed bag. Most documents saved in the
    > newer Office formats looked fine on both the latest Windows and Mac
    > suites, but formatting quirks appeared in some of them when opened in
    > the OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta.
    >
    > Page breaks sometimes appear in documents where none are specified, and
    > a number of text rendering and formatting issues appeared in PowerPoint
    > documents.

    That just show show messed up OOXML is.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: New OpenOffice to support Microsoft OOXML. But has problems handling ODF format.

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 08 May 2008 15:21:39 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >> The key word here is 'beta'.

    > Trollboi getting desperate, it seems.

    Zeke's an idiot. He'd laugh at a cripple trying to get up from the
    sidewalk. I don't know how he lives with himself.

    --
    When the PC was launched, people knew it was important.
    -- Bill Gates

+ Reply to Thread