    install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't even
    turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to anyone? It was
    working fine before..."

    #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376

    How lousy is this hacked-up code?

  2. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    DFS wrote:

    > "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    > I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of the
    > install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't even
    > turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to anyone? It was
    > working fine before..."
    >
    > #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >

    > How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    If the power button won't turn the system on it would appear to be a
    HARDWARE problem you numpty!

  3. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    SomeBloke wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    >> I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of
    >> the install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button
    >> won't even turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened
    >> to anyone? It was working fine before..."
    >>
    >> #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >>

    >> How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    > If the power button won't turn the system on it would appear to be a
    > HARDWARE problem you numpty!

    It was working fine until the crapware touched it.

  4. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    DFS wrote:

    > SomeBloke wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    >>> I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of
    >>> the install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button
    >>> won't even turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened
    >>> to anyone? It was working fine before..."
    >>>
    >>> #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >>>

    >>> How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    >> If the power button won't turn the system on it would appear to be a
    >> HARDWARE problem you numpty!

    > It was working fine until the crapware touched it.

    You haven't got the first idea, have you twit?

  5. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    SomeBloke writes:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    >> I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of the
    >> install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't even
    >> turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to anyone? It was
    >> working fine before..."
    >>
    >> #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >>

    >> How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    > If the power button won't turn the system on it would appear to be a
    > HARDWARE problem you numpty!

    Sometimes the SW can set the HW in a state that the power button will
    not work. You need to physically unplug the device for a few
    seconds. This used to happen a lot when I was experimenting with
    Ubuntu. Not for ages though thank god.

  6. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 13:19:10 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> SomeBloke wrote:

    >>> If the power button won't turn the system on it would appear to be a
    >>> HARDWARE problem you numpty!

    >> It was working fine until the crapware touched it.

    > You haven't got the first idea, have you twit?

    Of course he hasn't, he's a windows zealot & troll.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  7. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 13:05:29 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    >> I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of the
    >> install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't
    >> even turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to
    >> anyone? It was working fine before..."
    >>
    >> #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >>

    >> How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    > If the power button won't turn the system on it would appear to be a
    > HARDWARE problem you numpty!

    Here's the entire thread:

    abenrob - dec 20, 2007
    My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall
    I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of the
    install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't
    even turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to anyone?
    It was working fine before...

    Dapman01 - dec 20, 2007
    Re: My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall
    what do you have? and also...is the battery dead/check all the wire to
    make sure there plugged in

    abenrob - May 6, 2007
    Re: My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall
    Sorry for the lack of reply... I have since ditched the p.o.p. laptop I
    had and Hardy is running like a champ on my other one!

  8. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 07:59:34 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    > I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of the
    > install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't
    > even turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to anyone?
    > It was working fine before..."
    >
    > #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >

    > How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    ....the OP later goes on to say:

    "Sorry for the lack of reply... I have since ditched the p.o.p. laptop I
    had and Hardy is running like a champ on my other one!"

  9. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    Nick Ballard wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 May 2008 07:59:34 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    >> I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of the
    >> install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't
    >> even turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to anyone?
    >> It was working fine before..."
    >>
    >> #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >>

    >> How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    > ...the OP later goes on to say:
    >
    > "Sorry for the lack of reply... I have since ditched the p.o.p. laptop I
    > had and Hardy is running like a champ on my other one!"

    Could someone clarify the abbreviation "p.o.p."? My guess would be "piece of
    p..." (cf. "p.o.s."), but I can't readily come up with an appropriate last
    p-word.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  10. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    On Fri, 09 May 2008 21:55:11 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Nick Ballard wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 08 May 2008 07:59:34 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My laptop died after alternate xbuntu intstall

    >>> I just installed xbuntu 7.10, and as soon as the partition phase of the
    >>> install ended, the computer shut down, and now the power button won't
    >>> even turn it back on. Totally unresponsive. Has this happened to anyone?
    >>> It was working fine before..."
    >>>
    >>> #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645376
    >>>

    >>> How lousy is this hacked-up code?

    >> ...the OP later goes on to say:
    >>
    >> "Sorry for the lack of reply... I have since ditched the p.o.p. laptop I
    >> had and Hardy is running like a champ on my other one!"

    > Could someone clarify the abbreviation "p.o.p."? My guess would be "piece of
    > p..." (cf. "p.o.s."), but I can't readily come up with an appropriate last
    > p-word.
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    FWIW he probably means POS.
    As for the power on/off button going brain dead I have seen this before
    when a sharware power management program was being used in place of the
    stock Windows programs that come with most laptops.
    This was with Windows, obviously.

    Removing the main and keep alive batteries will usually solve the problem.

    My personal experience is that power management under Windows works rather
    well if and only if the stock utilities are used and left alone.

    Under Linux, it's really a crap shoot.
    Some laptops work fine, others sort of work and still others don't work
    well at all.
    Multiply this by which distribution may work with one brand laptop and
    which one may not and it really becomes a confused mess.

    Suse has always had superior power management but I have not used it in a
    long time so things may have changed.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Linux slopware literally kills your computer

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic