Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch - Linux

This is a discussion on Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch - Linux ; For your guys that get off on bashing Vista, MarketWatch has a good column today (link below). In a nutshell, it's about people complaining they cannot use Vista because they have old 'puters. But my solution: upgrade to a multicore ...

  1. Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    For your guys that get off on bashing Vista, MarketWatch has a good
    column today (link below).

    In a nutshell, it's about people complaining they cannot use Vista
    because they have old 'puters. But my solution: upgrade to a
    multicore machine. By contrast, I had Core2 Duo modern machine with
    SATA drives that would not work on any version of Linux, because I
    could not install it, despite of the so-called 'help' from the Linux
    community ("with friends like these...").

    HASTA LA VISTA? I doubt it. I'll be back...

    RL

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...&dist=printTop

  2. Re: Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    raylopez99 writes:

    > For your guys that get off on bashing Vista, MarketWatch has a good
    > column today (link below).
    >
    > In a nutshell, it's about people complaining they cannot use Vista
    > because they have old 'puters. But my solution: upgrade to a
    > multicore machine. By contrast, I had Core2 Duo modern machine with
    > SATA drives that would not work on any version of Linux, because I
    > could not install it, despite of the so-called 'help' from the Linux
    > community ("with friends like these...").

    Same with me - had to use the Debian Unstable installer. The changes to
    support the SATA/IDE bridge then worked after a while and the normal
    installer works fine now. Stable is too old though - Lenny is the way to
    go. Ubuntu is now, IMO, a wasteland of fanboyz and dying old
    versions. Which I hate to say as I had really thought Ubuntu was the way
    to go. Unfortunately I neglected to factor in COLA loons infesting the
    forums and the fanboyz.

  3. Re: Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > For your guys that get off on bashing Vista, MarketWatch has a good
    > column today (link below).
    >
    > In a nutshell, it's about people complaining they cannot use Vista
    > because they have old 'puters. But my solution: upgrade to a
    > multicore machine. By contrast, I had Core2 Duo modern machine with
    > SATA drives that would not work on any version of Linux, because I
    > could not install it, despite of the so-called 'help' from the Linux
    > community ("with friends like these...").
    >
    > HASTA LA VISTA? I doubt it. I'll be back...
    >
    > RL

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...&dist=printTop

    Didn't appear to be a Vista bashing exercise, just a reasonable analysis of
    why people (and businesses) don't or won't 'upgrade'.

    Why on earth should you have to dump your perfectly working hardware just to
    run an OS. My AMD 2.5Ghz CPU runs XP Pro well enough and my install of
    Mandriva 2008.0 at a very fast turn of speed. There are far too many people
    throwing away good systems simply because they think that they will get
    more done. This is a false assumption, but you carry on fooling yourself
    Ray.

  4. Re: Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    On May 8, 2:48 am, SomeBloke wrote:

    > http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...nuke-vista-ins...
    >
    > Didn't appear to be a Vista bashing exercise, just a reasonable analysis of
    > why people (and businesses) don't or won't 'upgrade'.

    Yes, true. Businesses are always behind the curve in the computer
    hardware category (with gamers at the leading edge).

    > Why on earth should you have to dump your perfectly working hardware just to
    > run an OS. My AMD 2.5Ghz CPU runs XP Pro well enough and my install of
    > Mandriva 2008.0 at a very fast turn of speed.

    To get more work done in the same amount of time. Happy to hear about
    your Mandriva; if it works for you, like some people still use 8088 uP
    chips on the original AT computer from 1982, that's good for you,
    Amiga OS lover.

    > There are far too many people
    > throwing away good systems simply because they think that they will get
    > more done. This is a false assumption, but you carry on fooling yourself
    > Ray.

    But they DO get more work done--at least I do. For you, and the non-
    Power Users who just like to use Google Apps in lieu of a desktop
    application and whose only real purposes is to check their Yahoo email
    once a day, there's always Linux I guess. Or Amiga.

    RL

  5. Re: Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    Hadron wrote:

    > Which I hate to say as I had really thought Ubuntu was the way
    > to go. Unfortunately I neglected to factor in COLA loons infesting the
    > forums and the fanboyz.

    In other words, the folks in the Ubuntu NG ran your sorry ass off.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    Owner/Proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

    To think contrary to one's era is heroism. But to speak against it is
    madness.
    -- Eugene Ionesco

  6. Re: Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 21:24:23 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Which I hate to say as I had really thought Ubuntu was the way to go.
    >> Unfortunately I neglected to factor in COLA loons infesting the forums
    >> and the fanboyz.

    > In other words, the folks in the Ubuntu NG ran your sorry ass off.

    The "COLA loons infesting the forums" stopped him using Ubuntu on his
    PC? HAHAHAHAHHA, what a wanker he is. He gets more stupid by the hour.
    You're right. There were a few regular posters in a.o.l.u who saw *right*
    through him, & he was exposed for the fraud he is.
    So it wasn't *just* the "COLA loons infesting the forums and the
    fanboyz", as anyone with any intelligence could see that he's a
    charlatan.
    Furthermore, some time ago he posted a couple of questions in a debian
    group. He got very little (if any) response. Seems they know he's a fraud
    too, & ya know, there were NO "COLA loons" in sight! As they say, go
    figure....

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  7. Re: Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    >Quack puked:
    >>
    >>Unfortunately

    Unfortunately your mother didn't abort you while she had the chance,
    you nasty little ****.

  8. Re: Good Vista bashing article on MarketWatch

    raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Why on earth should you have to dump your perfectly working hardware just to
    >> run an OS. My AMD 2.5Ghz CPU runs XP Pro well enough and my install of
    >> Mandriva 2008.0 at a very fast turn of speed.

    > To get more work done in the same amount of time.

    Ahahaha aha
    ah... You're.... being serious?
    What a load of bull**** you spout lopez.
    The XP machines they have probably run faster than the new high tech fast
    sooper dooper vista machines ypu're suggesting they upgrade to.

    Why? Because vista's minimum requirement is so much higher JUST to get the
    system running. Let alone any software you want to run.

    And how would "upgrading" to vista "get more work done"?
    The OS doesn't do any work.
    The USER does the work. And from what I've seen of Office 2008, they'd be
    wasting more time trying to find their way around the new GUI than they
    would working.

    >> There are far too many people
    >> throwing away good systems simply because they think that they will get
    >> more done. This is a false assumption, but you carry on fooling yourself
    >> Ray.

    > But they DO get more work done--at least I do.

    Yeah riiiiiight.
    It just feels that way because of all the extra effort you have to put in to
    get the same amount of work done.