AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
| For all practical purposes, the AGPLv3 is a key advance for everyone involved
| in open source, regardless of if you are a software developer, Internet end
| user or enterprise end user. The AGPLv3 closes the ASP loophole and keeps the
| freedom of open source software alive, in the age of SaaS and hosted
| applications.
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/ag...brant-age-saas

Sun touts 'industrial strength' developer platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is responding to developers' desires to see applications they build run
| across any device and grant them the opportunity to apply their Java skill
| set regardless of the platform. And, through Project Insight, developers can
| make use of, and own, the data they reap from their own applications, and
| have access to freely available code from GPL, the "world's most popular and
| ubiquitous open source license".
`----

Recent:

Rethinking Gobuntu [and Launchpad to Possibly Pick AGPLv3]

,----[ Quote ]
| In the case of Launchpad, we do view you as a co-owner of the data, so
| the resolution of this problem is important to us. As you point out,
| there's no really clear best practice that works well and has been shown
| to be commercially sustainable. That's different to the GPL (even v3). I
| think the Affero GPL is a strong candidate for the front line of
| thinking on the subject, and that's what I am inclined to use when we
| publish Launchpad's source code.
`----

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/go...il/000698.html

GPL Project Watch List for Week of 04/18

,----[ Quote ]
| Now onto our recently added license the AGPL v3. Last week our database
| contained 55 AGPL v3 projects. This week we are at 68 AGPL v3 projects, which
| is an increase of just over 20%. This is a significant increase percentage
| wise, even though it is only a 13 project increase. However, our prediction
| is that the adoption rate will rise in number and decrease in percentage as
| the current amount in the database grows. * *
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/04/gpl...k-of-0418.html

AGPL v3 to be added to Palamida Watch List

,----[ Quote ]
| Palamida is tracking adoption of GPL v3 on a special blog. The last post
| mentioned an incredible rate of adoption for it. There are already more than
| 2,000 projects using the license (or a variation of it, like LGPL v3), with a
| good chance to reach 5,000 by the end of the year. I feel we are about to
| reach the tipping point, when everyone will move from GPL v2 to v3. * *
`----

http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/20...ida-watch.html

Google pays for Affero ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The projects will join around 10 other AGPL-licensed efforts on SourceForge,
| compared to six on Google Code. Before the defections, Google had been
| discouraging other AGPL projects, saying Google Code does not support AGPL. *
|
| The dispute between Google and developers who want to use AGPL - a version of
| GPLv3 tailored for use in software as a service - has rumbled on since last
| November, when AGPL was finalized. *
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/0...gle_bans_aero/

Google blocking AGPL in Google Code

,----[ Quote ]
| So, first AGPL was not good enough for Google because it was not
| OSI-approved. That limited its popularity... Now it is OSI-approved. Still,
| it is not popular enough to be accepted in the Google closed open source
| hosting site? *
|
| And, by the way, why should people put their open source code in the hands of
| someone who likes open source only when it does good to its business (ehm,
| that could include me, but we are not talking about me, are we ;-) ? *
|
| C'mon Chris, give developers the ability of using AGPL for their own projects
| in Google Code. Your fight for no proliferation of licenses is something I
| subscribe to, but AGPL is the license of the future, no matter if Google
| likes it or not. And I can guarantee you it will become even more popular if
| it is accepted in Google Code... * *
`----

http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/20...ogle-code.html

Funambol Helps New AGPLv3 Open Source License Gain Formal OSI Approval

,----[ Quote ]
| March 13, 2008 - Funambol, the leading provider of Mobile 2.0 messaging
| software powered by open source, today announced that the AGPLv3 has received
| formal approval by the Open Source Initiative (OSI). Funambol led the process
| of the license's approval by the OSI after adopting AGPLv3 in November. It
| was the first company to adopt the license, which closes the "ASP loophole". * *
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10466.html

Census started for enterprise open source use

,----[ Quote ]
| Intended as a pluggable architecture for organizations to provide their own
| fingerprint rules and identify open source packages, OSS Discovery is
| licensed under the new Affero GPLv3 (AGPLv3) for open source SaaS. *
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...en-source-use/

Funambol Is First Major Commercial OpenSource Company To Support AGPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,230442.shtml