Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution:Red Hat - Linux

This is a discussion on Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution:Red Hat - Linux ; "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution — Red Hat — and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code base. In an interview with the Linux Foundation recently, Oracle’s chief corporate architect said Oracle ...

  1. Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution:Red Hat

    "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution —
    Red Hat — and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code
    base.

    In an interview with the Linux Foundation recently, Oracle’s chief
    corporate architect said Oracle Unbreakable Linux is not a product but
    a support program and he believes that there ought to be only one
    Linux distribution — his rival’s code base."

    [...]

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2393

    -RFH

  2. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Thursday 08 May 2008 01:32 : \____

    > "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution —
    > Red Hat — and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code
    > base.
    >
    > In an interview with the Linux Foundation recently, Oracle’s chief
    > corporate architect said Oracle Unbreakable Linux is not a product but
    > a support program and he believes that there ought to be only one
    > Linux distribution — his rival’s code base."
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2393

    Oracle just wants to freeload GNU/Linux _in its entirety_. When will it
    actually give something back? Oh, that's right. Ellison's vocabulary is
    missing the word "give". No wonder Olson ditched the company.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Previously-unsurpassed exposure makes carnation-faced men
    Cpu(s): 24.4%us, 3.6%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.6%id, 4.1%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  3. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

    > Oracle just wants to freeload GNU/Linux _in its entirety_. When will it
    > actually give something back? Oh, that's right. Ellison's vocabulary is
    > missing the word "give".

    Of course! The personal competition between Gates and Ellison over who
    was wealthiest has been written in a number of articles and books.

    Here's an example of their dynamic, at least as it stood a decade ago:

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/1216ellgates.html

    Such digs on Gates are now a well-rehearsed Ellison soliloquy. In
    keynote speeches, informal gatherings and private interviews, the
    Oracle chief slips easily into long rants on what he sees as Gates'
    quest to dominate everything Microsoft touches. One favorite Ellison
    refrain is that Gates wants a world of "Microsoft English."

    . . .

    Disagreeing with a point Ellison made, Gates concluded that he would
    "have to think about that," and abruptly hung up the phone. Over six
    hours later, Gates called back and said he ultimately agreed with
    Ellison and "continued the conversation as if nothing had even
    happened," Ellison said, expressing his disbelief.

    That Gates should spend half a day mulling over a minor point was a
    "revelation" to Ellison, who realized that his erstwhile friend is
    "a very unusual person." Moreover, Gates is "the most aggressive,
    the most single-minded...the most ambitious person I have ever met
    in my life," said Ellison, whose own personal fortune stands at
    about $6 billion.

    Again, a question: More ambitious than even Larry Ellison?

    "I have hobbies. I do all sorts of ridiculous things," outside of
    work, countered Ellison. Gates, whose "entire life is Microsoft"
    would never consider hobbies enjoyed by Ellison, such as sailboat
    racing and "reading books," said Ellison, the owner of a Machetti
    Italian jet fighter and the richest citizen of "The Golden State."

    . . .

    Ellison laughed when asked if he plays Churchill to Gates' Fuhrer in
    his own duel over who will dominate the computer industry.

    --
    Like almost everyone who uses e-mail, I receive a ton of spam every day. Much
    of it offers to help me get out of debt or get rich quick. It would be funny if

  4. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Thursday 08 May 2008 01:32 : \____
    >

    >> "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution -
    >> Red Hat - and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code
    >> base.
    >>
    >> In an interview with the Linux Foundation recently, Oracle's chief
    >> corporate architect said Oracle Unbreakable Linux is not a product but
    >> a support program and he believes that there ought to be only one
    >> Linux distribution - his rival's code base."
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2393

    > Oracle just wants to freeload GNU/Linux _in its entirety_. When will it
    > actually give something back? Oh, that's right. Ellison's vocabulary is
    > missing the word "give". No wonder Olson ditched the company.

    So let's make sure we all understand this. Larry Ellison is a
    multi-billionaire who founded and runs one of the largest software companies
    in the world. He meets with and is friends with industry leaders and
    powerful and influencial people.

    You are a child that posts lies and spam from your dorm room 24 hours a day,
    7 days a week. You've never actually had a job and have to leach off of
    someone elses internet connection to post your crap.

    Yet a unemployed moron like you thinks that you know more about the industry
    than Larry Ellison.

    Roy Schestowitz - An idiot amongst morons.

  5. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 17:32:21 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > "One Oracle exec said there should be only one Linux distribution ¡X
    > Red Hat ¡X and claimed there will be no fragmentation of that code
    > base.
    >
    > In an interview with the Linux Foundation recently, Oracle¡¦s chief
    > corporate architect said Oracle Unbreakable Linux is not a product but
    > a support program and he believes that there ought to be only one
    > Linux distribution ¡X his rival¡¦s code base."
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2393
    >
    > -RFH

    So when does the *boycott Oracle* website go up?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Oracle chief architect says there ought to be one Linux distribution: Red Hat

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic