Hyundai and Kia's latest pitch to US drivers - Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on Hyundai and Kia's latest pitch to US drivers - Windows - Linux ; Microsoft has signed deals with Hyundai and Kia to supply voice recognition kit for cars sold in the USA, just as soon as its exclusive deal with Ford runs out in November. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...le_automotive/ Gives new meaning to the "blue screen ...

  1. Hyundai and Kia's latest pitch to US drivers - Windows

    Microsoft has signed deals with Hyundai and Kia to supply voice
    recognition kit for cars sold in the USA, just as soon as its
    exclusive deal with Ford runs out in November.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...le_automotive/

    Gives new meaning to the "blue screen of death".

  2. Re: Hyundai and Kia's latest pitch to US drivers - Windows

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Wednesday 07 May 2008 18:53 : \____

    > Microsoft has signed deals with Hyundai and Kia to supply voice
    > recognition kit for cars sold in the USA, just as soon as its
    > exclusive deal with Ford runs out in November.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...le_automotive/
    >
    > Gives new meaning to the "blue screen of death".

    There's already a lot of Linux in a lot of cars. There's just no big company
    like Microsoft to make noise about it.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Programmer: a device to convert coffee beans into code (Paul Erdos slant)
    Swap: 1510068k total, 412420k used, 1097648k free, 62556k cached

  3. Re: Hyundai and Kia's latest pitch to US drivers - Windows

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:53:22 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Microsoft has signed deals with Hyundai and Kia to supply voice
    > recognition kit for cars sold in the USA, just as soon as its
    > exclusive deal with Ford runs out in November.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...le_automotive/
    >
    > Gives new meaning to the "blue screen of death".

    Actually I had a Ford Fusion as a rental car the other day and the Sync
    thing works surprisingly well.

    Very impressive, although the car itself couldn't get out of it's own way
    due to a 4 cylinder engine.

    I was pretty impressed with the entire system and in speaking with other
    business people who were at the same conference I attended, so were they.

    So where is Linux?
    Probably running the 4 cylinder engine that couldn't get out of it's own
    way.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Hyundai and Kia's latest pitch to US drivers - Windows

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic