[News] OpenSolaris is No GNU/Linux, Just Sun's Land Grab Attempt - Linux

  1. [News] OpenSolaris is No GNU/Linux, Just Sun's Land Grab Attempt

    OpenSolaris: Nice, But Not There Yet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After using OpenSolaris for a day, some things have really become clear to
    | me. For one, OpenSolaris is a new system, and one that does not have all the
    | functionality found in other Linux distributions. I won’t go as far to say
    | that it is bad system. After using it in VirtualBox, I couldn’t resist
    | installing it on my computer. It works rather well, but there is no available
    | driver for my printer (which is found in Ubuntu) or drivers available for my
    | wireless card or graphics card. The system is also a little slow, especially
    | when loading a web page. There are also only a few over 1000 programs in the
    | repositories, compared to the 24,000+ programs in Ubuntu’s repositories. I
    | also could not install my printer, which is an HP Deskjet 3845 (all that is
    | missing is an hplip package). Seeing as this is the first release, there are
    | bound to be bugs and missing features.
    `----

    http://jonreagan.wordpress.com/2008/...not-there-yet/

    OpenSolaris 2008.05 sucks big time! … WIP …

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | KNOPPIX/ Hardy Heron Desktop loads much much faster!
    `----

    http://eligere.wordpress.com/2008/05...-big-time-wip/

    OpenSolaris 2008.05: Notes from the field

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As good as I believe OpenSolaris 2008.05 to be, this is its first big
    | release, and it does have problems. It will be interesting to see how quickly
    | and in what manner they are addressed.
    `----

    http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2008/0...rom-field.html

    Thoughts on CommunityOne and OpenSolaris

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ultimately, I can’t help but think that the problem that Sun is trying to
    | solve with OpenSolaris is not a technical one, but one of control.
    | Specifically, the company is not ready to cede control over its operating
    | system to the community at large, and so it is instead trying to build a
    | community around OpenSolaris rather than joining the larger Linux effort.
    `----

    http://zonker.opensuse.org/2008/05/0...d-opensolaris/

    That last one from Novell hits the nail on the head. Novell too, however, tries
    to control GNU/Linux using Mono and copyrights, as well as that software
    patent deal.

    Recent:

    What Sun was trying to do with Open Solaris

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So that explains why it’s take three long years to try to get basic open
    | source development tools (such as putting Open Solaris source code in a
    | distributed SCM located outside of the Sun firewall) for Open Solaris. It was
    | never was Sun’s intention to try to promote a kernel engineering community,
    | or at least, it was certainly not a high priority for them to do so. * *
    `----

    http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2008/04/...-open-solaris/

  2. Re: [News] OpenSolaris is No GNU/Linux, Just Sun's Land Grab Attempt

    > Thoughts on CommunityOne and OpenSolaris
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Ultimately, I can?t help but think that the problem that Sun is trying to
    >| solve with OpenSolaris is not a technical one, but one of control.
    >| Specifically, the company is not ready to cede control over its operating
    >| system to the community at large, and so it is instead trying to build a
    >| community around OpenSolaris rather than joining the larger Linux effort.
    > `----
    >
    > http://zonker.opensuse.org/2008/05/0...d-opensolaris/

    Maybe he should try Schillix instead:

    http://schillix.berlios.de/

    --
    People always fear change. People feared electricity when it was invented,
    didn't they? People feared coal, they feared gas-powered engines...

  3. Re: [News] OpenSolaris is No GNU/Linux, Just Sun's Land Grab Attempt

    ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 07 May 2008 16:56 : \____

    >> Thoughts on CommunityOne and OpenSolaris
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Ultimately, I can?t help but think that the problem that Sun is trying to
    >>| solve with OpenSolaris is not a technical one, but one of control.
    >>| Specifically, the company is not ready to cede control over its operating
    >>| system to the community at large, and so it is instead trying to build a
    >>| community around OpenSolaris rather than joining the larger Linux effort.
    >> `----

    http://zonker.opensuse.org/2008/05/0...d-opensolaris/

    > Maybe he should try Schillix instead:
    >
    > http://schillix.berlios.de/

    Did you say Shillnix? Anyway, I hardly knew the guy, but from what I can
    gather/understand he got driven away from communities for being tough to work
    with.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"
    02:20:01 up 23 days, 32 min, 3 users, load average: 1.04, 0.88, 1.34

  4. Re: [News] OpenSolaris is No GNU/Linux, Just Sun's Land Grab Attempt

    > Maybe he should try Schillix instead:

    Shhh! You'll activated a ping on Jörg the Borg's radar.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:25:44 up 139 days, 1:01, 6 users, load average: 0.27, 0.38, 0.41

+ Reply to Thread