Linux: takes days to get basic things to work, takes minutes in Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: takes days to get basic things to work, takes minutes in Windows - Linux ; "Just trying to voice my frustration when I spend days trying to get what I consider fairly basic things to work in Linux, when in Windows they are up and running in minutes." http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030...

  1. Linux: takes days to get basic things to work, takes minutes in Windows

    "Just trying to voice my frustration when I spend days trying to get what I
    consider fairly basic things to work in Linux, when in Windows they are up
    and running in minutes."

    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

  2. Re: Linux: takes days to get basic things to work, takes minutes in Windows

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:45:12 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Just trying to voice my frustration when I spend days trying to get what I
    > consider fairly basic things to work in Linux, when in Windows they are up
    > and running in minutes."
    >
    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    Sad but true.

    It's a good thing most of these machines are dual boot so at least the
    unsuspecting fool can Google for three weeks in an attempt to fix his
    network problems.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Linux: takes days to get basic things to work, takes minutes in Windows

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Linux: takes days to get basic things to work, takes minutes in Windows

    On 2008-05-07, DFS wrote:
    > "Just trying to voice my frustration when I spend days trying to get what I
    > consider fairly basic things to work in Linux, when in Windows they are up
    > and running in minutes."

    Let's see...

    Attached to this machine is a printer, scanner, PMP, digital camera,
    network printer and a USB hard drive. They were all a matter of "plug it
    in and it just works" or "plug it in and the OS asks what you want done
    with it".

    This is in stark contrast to me taking the same USB HD and plugging
    it into the XP machine in the other room.

    XP's handling of USB storage devices is nothing to write home about.

    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \