Linux: unsatisfactory with common hardware - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: unsatisfactory with common hardware - Linux ; "My equipment is fairly standard. I have a 3yo P4 with 1gig ram and a Gigabyte GA=8S661FXM-775 motherboard, 160gig HDD and an external 250gig usb HDD. In addition, there are 4xUSB sticks and a 19" Viewsonic monitor. A Logitech Quickcam ...

  1. Linux: unsatisfactory with common hardware

    "My equipment is fairly standard. I have a 3yo P4 with 1gig ram and a
    Gigabyte GA=8S661FXM-775 motherboard, 160gig HDD and an external 250gig usb
    HDD. In addition, there are 4xUSB sticks and a 19" Viewsonic monitor. A
    Logitech Quickcam family webcam and a Canon Pixma MP160 printer completes
    the setup. All this runs happily using XP.
    Let me say that of ALL the distros I have downloaded and tried, not one, I
    repeat, not a single one, has enabled me to get all of my equipment working
    satisfactorily."

    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

  2. Re: Linux: unsatisfactory with common hardware

    On 2008-05-07, DFS wrote:
    > "My equipment is fairly standard. I have a 3yo P4 with 1gig ram and a
    > Gigabyte GA=8S661FXM-775 motherboard, 160gig HDD and an external 250gig usb
    > HDD. In addition, there are 4xUSB sticks and a 19" Viewsonic monitor. A
    > Logitech Quickcam family webcam and a Canon Pixma MP160 printer completes
    > the setup. All this runs happily using XP.
    > Let me say that of ALL the distros I have downloaded and tried, not one, I
    > repeat, not a single one, has enabled me to get all of my equipment working
    > satisfactorily."

    So? Yeah, some guy found some stuff that isn't supported well or at
    all under Linux. Any moron with a web browser pointed at Google can sort
    this out pretty much instantly.

    Big Newsflash: Some products that aren't sold as "runs everything"
    sometimes don "run everything".

    This doesn't seem to be slowing down the Mac.

    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    If you've got a printer on the "doesn't work list" then trying another
    distro probably won't solve your problem.

    This is why it's nice that you can try a LiveCD first.

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \