Linux: a plaything for the developers - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: a plaything for the developers - Linux ; DFS wrote: > "It seems to be just an experimental tool for developers, with each trying > to outdo the other with features that are cosmetic and don't address the > underlying basic user issues." > > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030 > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    DFS wrote:
    > "It seems to be just an experimental tool for developers, with each trying
    > to outdo the other with features that are cosmetic and don't address the
    > underlying basic user issues."
    >
    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    Chicago and Largo don't seem to think it is just a plaything. Nor do the
    Hollywood studios or the FAA. Buy some honesty.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:32:35 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "It seems to be just an experimental tool for developers, with each trying
    >> to outdo the other with features that are cosmetic and don't address the
    >> underlying basic user issues."
    >>
    >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    > That's exactly what Linux is.

    No, it isn't.

    > Why do you think Linux has close to a 1000 different distributions?

    Because it is Open Source.

    > Each one of these is the wet dream of some pimple faced kid living in his
    > mother's basement.

    You are a bigoted liar.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Hadron wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:32:35 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "It seems to be just an experimental tool for developers, with each trying
    >>> to outdo the other with features that are cosmetic and don't address the
    >>> underlying basic user issues."
    >>>
    >>> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    >> That's exactly what Linux is.
    >>
    >> Why do you think Linux has close to a 1000 different distributions?
    >>
    >> Each one of these is the wet dream of some pimple faced kid living in his
    >> mother's basement.

    > It does appear to the case. And then the fanbois start wetting their
    > knickers over puppy or dopey or whatever distro to the detriment of
    > REAL distros like Debian.

    And tell us, oh Linux expert, how is Puppy LInux and less a distro than
    Debian?

    > Result? Disillusioned new recruits giving up
    > and going back to Windows. Why? Because morons like the COLA crowd keep
    > gushing that "devils spawn distro alfa 0.001 rocks and meets my needs"
    > when their needs are simply more meds.

    More likely because of POS "advocates" like you.

    --
    Rick

  4. Linux: a plaything for the developers

    "It seems to be just an experimental tool for developers, with each trying
    to outdo the other with features that are cosmetic and don't address the
    underlying basic user issues."

    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

  5. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:32:35 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "It seems to be just an experimental tool for developers, with each trying
    > to outdo the other with features that are cosmetic and don't address the
    > underlying basic user issues."
    >
    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    That's exactly what Linux is.

    Why do you think Linux has close to a 1000 different distributions?

    Each one of these is the wet dream of some pimple faced kid living in his
    mother's basement.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:32:35 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "It seems to be just an experimental tool for developers, with each trying
    >> to outdo the other with features that are cosmetic and don't address the
    >> underlying basic user issues."
    >>
    >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    > That's exactly what Linux is.
    >
    > Why do you think Linux has close to a 1000 different distributions?
    >
    > Each one of these is the wet dream of some pimple faced kid living in his
    > mother's basement.

    It does appear to the case. And then the fanbois start wetting their
    knickers over puppy or dopey or whatever distro to the detriment of
    REAL distros like Debian. Result? Disillusioned new recruits giving up
    and going back to Windows. Why? Because morons like the COLA crowd keep
    gushing that "devils spawn distro alfa 0.001 rocks and meets my needs"
    when their needs are simply more meds.

    --
    ltd: Fine, go through life just pointing and grunting at
    what you mean. Works for Mac users.

  7. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  9. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Rick writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> That's exactly what Linux is.
    >>>
    >>> Why do you think Linux has close to a 1000 different distributions?
    >>>
    >>> Each one of these is the wet dream of some pimple faced kid living in his
    >>> mother's basement.

    >> It does appear to the case. And then the fanbois start wetting their
    >> knickers over puppy or dopey or whatever distro to the detriment of
    >> REAL distros like Debian.

    > And tell us, oh Linux expert, how is Puppy LInux and less a distro
    > than Debian?

    You really do not know? For gods sake get a clue.

  10. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Rick wrote:

    > And tell us, oh Linux expert, how is Puppy LInux and less a distro than
    > Debian?

    If the POS answers, ask him how Debian is hurt by someone working on Puppy.

    Then watch the snot fly. 8)

  11. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:13:25 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    search_id=1327806771&t=28030

    >>> It does appear to the case. And then the fanbois start wetting their
    >>> knickers over puppy or dopey or whatever distro to the detriment of
    >>> REAL distros like Debian.

    >> And tell us, oh Linux expert, how is Puppy LInux and less a distro than
    >> Debian?

    > You really do not know? For gods sake get a clue.

    Maybe someone should hit you with a clue bat.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 02:06:42 -0400, Rick wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> That's exactly what Linux is.
    >>>
    >>> Why do you think Linux has close to a 1000 different distributions?
    >>>
    >>> Each one of these is the wet dream of some pimple faced kid living in
    >>> his mother's basement.

    >> It does appear to the case. And then the fanbois start wetting their
    >> knickers over puppy or dopey or whatever distro to the detriment of REAL
    >> distros like Debian.

    > And tell us, oh Linux expert, how is Puppy LInux and less a distro than
    > Debian?

    It isn't. It also has a different function from debian. But Quack wouldn't
    know that as he doesn't use any Linux distro.

    >> Result? Disillusioned new recruits giving up and going back to Windows.
    >> Why? Because morons like the COLA crowd keep gushing that "devils spawn
    >> distro alfa 0.001 rocks and meets my needs" when their needs are simply
    >> more meds.
    >>

    > More likely because of POS "advocates" like you.

    Sounds like Quack couldn't get anything to work, & went back to his
    beloved windoze. No big surprise there.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  13. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    "Rick" stated in post
    4cSdnSC8wa4ktr_VnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@supernews.com on 5/7/08 3:22 PM:

    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:13:25 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    > search_id=1327806771&t=28030

    >>> And tell us, oh Linux expert, how is Puppy LInux and less a distro than
    >>> Debian?

    >> You really do not know? For gods sake get a clue.

    > Maybe someone should hit you with a clue bat.

    He hee knee-slapper hee-haw ha ho hee-haw he-haw hee-haw ho. Ho he snicker
    gafaw. Lmao haw haw. He haw hee snicker haw ho-ho hee-haw snicker. Haw
    snort* giggle hee lol. Ha snort* haw haw knee-slapper gafaw ho heee.
    Snicker hee hee ho haw! Ho ha lmao hee hee hee he-haw lmao. Ho ho hee-haw
    he-haw knee-slapper. Haw lol ho heee ha ho. Snicker haw hee knee-slapper.
    He gafaw knee-slapper hee hee-ha ho-ho gafaw he snicker. Haw ha ho haw
    knee-slapper ha snicker. Ho ha giggle snicker ho-ho snicker. Haw ha lmao
    haw lmao. Gafaw heee haw haw *snort* heee hee-ha hee ha *snort? Hee ha
    knee-slapper? Hee ha haw he haw he-haw. Haw gafaw he heee hee-haw hee.
    Haw hee-haw he-haw gafaw haw ho ha haw ho hee! Hee lmao giggle ho heee
    he-haw hee-ha haw haw snicker. Hee ha he heee haw snicker ho. Ho ho giggle
    haw hee-ha lol ha. Haw hee-ha ha ho he hee-haw ho haw lmao haw. Hee haw ho
    haw snicker. Hee hee snicker haw hee ho-ho. Ha lmao hee-ha haw hee he-haw.
    Lmao hee ho ho. Gafaw hee haw. Snicker ho haw ho-ho haw hee ha hee-ha ha.
    Gafaw ha hee? He haw ho knee-slapper heee haw. Ha hee hee giggle haw he
    snicker hee-ha ha. Ho ho *snort* he-haw snicker. Hee lol hee-haw snicker
    knee-slapper. Knee slapper ho haw. Hee haw ha heee lol hee giggle lol.
    Hee heee haw ho-ho hee he ha haw! Giggle snort* *snort* he haw gafaw
    *snort* ho-ho he-haw ha. He haw knee-slapper hee-haw hee hee knee-slapper.
    Haw he hee he-haw hee-ha ho hee he-haw ho. Ha ho-ho hee. Ha hee ho ha
    snicker heee lmao ho giggle he. Giggle lmao haw hee he ho hee hee ha!
    Snort haw hee-haw haw ho? He haw knee-slapper hee giggle haw! Ho hee
    hee-haw hee-haw giggle ho-ho ha heee. Hee ho gafaw lmao knee-slapper gafaw.
    Ho snicker he-haw ho hee hee haw ho ha gafaw. Haw knee-slapper hee hee-haw
    haw gafaw *snort* hee-ha knee-slapper. He haw he-haw haw lmao snicker
    giggle snicker heee haw. Hee ha ho snicker ha hee ha. Hee haw snicker hee.
    Snicker snort* gafaw hee-ha *snort. Lmao hee-haw hee-haw ho hee-haw *snort*
    ha. Ha hee ha ha hee-haw he hee-ha gafaw he? Haw knee-slapper lmao
    knee-slapper haw. He haw lol hee haw knee-slapper lol ha knee-slapper ho!
    Snort haw lol haw hee-haw ho ha haw ha. Heee haw heee ha knee-slapper. Ho
    ho heee he *snort* gafaw hee-ha heee *snort* hee-ha. Snort giggle ha giggle
    ho ho he-haw giggle. Giggle hee ha gafaw hee-ha lmao. Ho ho giggle lmao ho
    hee. Hee haw haw snicker hee-ha heee ha gafaw. Haw he haw hee hee-haw lol
    haw. Haw hee hee snicker? Lmao gafaw he hee heee ho gafaw snicker hee.
    Haw gafaw snicker lol lol *snort* ho ho giggle! Haw hee-ha gafaw
    knee-slapper ha he-haw hee-ha. He hee-ha haw knee-slapper ho gafaw haw
    hee-haw hee. Ho lol hee-ha. Hee ha hee giggle heee hee! Hee haw heee hee
    lmao lmao he giggle ha he-haw hee. He gafaw lmao giggle haw gafaw? Haw
    hee-ha lmao haw. Snort knee-slapper heee gafaw. Haw hee-haw he-haw ho
    snicker he-haw lmao. Haw gafaw ha knee-slapper hee gafaw lmao hee gafaw.
    Heee snicker knee-slapper hee! He he-haw knee-slapper hee giggle. Heee ho
    heee he-haw ha ha. Snicker hee ha haw snicker hee. Hee haw hee heee lol.
    Haw he-haw snicker lol hee-haw lmao lmao haw! Ho hee haw hee ho-ho hee-haw
    hee haw heee lol. Lmao hee ha. Gafaw haw knee-slapper haw hee ho. Snicker
    ha hee-haw gafaw gafaw hee-ha hee lol haw *snort. Haw haw hee-ha he-haw
    he-haw snicker knee-slapper he-haw. Hee haw lol gafaw haw *snort* he-haw
    hee? Snicker hee-haw hee knee-slapper. Ho hee ha lmao knee-slapper. Ho
    giggle hee ha? Knee slapper ho-ho hee lmao haw ho lol. Giggle haw ha lmao
    hee-ha ha ha haw haw! Ho gafaw hee ho he ho-ho. Lol he-haw ha. Snicker
    haw knee-slapper he haw haw lmao. Hee ha haw knee-slapper.

    --
    Satan lives for my sins... now *that* is dedication!

  14. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > in particular shows the competition the PC had at the time,
    > from the BBC "Acorn" to the Xerox 820.

    Think you mean the Acorn "BBC micro" there...
    Acorn was the company, they also produced, before the BBC, the atom, and
    after the BBC, the electron and archimedes (based on their own designed ARM
    processor)

    Let's not forget apple started in a garage or similar too with their Apple
    I.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  15. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Thu, 8 May 2008 02:20:08 +0100
    <831af5-s8a.ln1@ponder.sky.com>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> in particular shows the competition the PC had at the time,
    >> from the BBC "Acorn" to the Xerox 820.

    > Think you mean the Acorn "BBC micro" there...

    I sit corrected. :-) Can't say I ever used one.

    > Acorn was the company, they also produced, before the BBC, the atom, and
    > after the BBC, the electron and archimedes (based on their own designed ARM
    > processor)

    Which is presumably still around today, and supported by Linux. ;-)

    > Let's not forget apple started in a garage or similar too with their Apple
    > I.

    Noted. Of the companies, though, I think only Apple
    survived as a hardware seller (and they're mutating into
    another clonemaker, albeit with higher quality hardware
    than most). I have no idea what happened to Tandy and/or
    Acorn but suspect they got swallowed. Commodore is quite
    defunct. Atari mutated into a software-only house. IBM
    got out of the low-end desktop biz, spinning off Lenovo.

    And the PC clones, of course, are just about everywhere,
    mutating into their niches, from server Blades to mini
    mobiles. Thanks to Microsoft and (to a lesser extent)
    Intel we are now inundated with cheap, crappy hardware
    (from an architectural standpoint the PC has more hacks
    than a stack of kindling). I don't mind the cheap part
    too much (economies of scale and all that) but why must
    we have the crap? :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  16. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Noted. Of the companies, though, I think only Apple
    > survived as a hardware seller (and they're mutating into
    > another clonemaker, albeit with higher quality hardware
    > than most). I have no idea what happened to Tandy and/or
    > Acorn but suspect they got swallowed. Commodore is quite
    > defunct. Atari mutated into a software-only house. IBM
    > got out of the low-end desktop biz, spinning off Lenovo.

    And Sinclair tried to release a deathtrap^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbattery powered
    electric car called the C5 which flopped and forced him to sell the computer
    side of his business to amstrad... Who then milked it until the early 90s
    before dropping out of the home computer biz.

    Didn't Radio shack go bust in the 90s (taking Tandy with it)?
    I remember a mass closure of their retail outlets around about then?

    > And the PC clones, of course, are just about everywhere,
    > mutating into their niches, from server Blades to mini
    > mobiles. Thanks to Microsoft and (to a lesser extent)
    > Intel we are now inundated with cheap, crappy hardware
    > (from an architectural standpoint the PC has more hacks
    > than a stack of kindling). I don't mind the cheap part
    > too much (economies of scale and all that) but why must
    > we have the crap? :-)

    It's the way of things.
    The same thing happened to the video market.
    Remember Video2000? Betamax? Both were superior to VHS.
    It's just that the VHS specs weren't tightly controlled by the initial
    manufacturer (was it ferguson?) whilst sony wouldn't even let betamax fly
    free from its cold, dead hands. So, vhs was cheap, beta was expensive and
    all the media backed the cheapo one. Dunno why video2000 flopped, double
    sided video tapes! useful.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  17. Re: Linux: a plaything for the developers

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> in particular shows the competition the PC had at the time,
    >> from the BBC "Acorn" to the Xerox 820.

    > Think you mean the Acorn "BBC micro" there...
    > Acorn was the company, they also produced, before the BBC, the atom, and
    > after the BBC, the electron and archimedes (based on their own designed ARM
    > processor)
    >
    > Let's not forget apple started in a garage or similar too with their Apple
    > I.

    Did you have a BBC? I could never get one :-( But boy was Planetoid a
    great game! The BBC really was a revolution back then compared to the
    other "home computers". My favorite without a doubt though back then was
    the Camputers Lynx - it was so original in so many ways. They made a big
    booboo though - they didn't have a HW character generator - all the on
    screen rendering was done in SW directly to bit mapped video ram - and
    you needed to write to RGB banks in order to do colour (or
    white...). The video display was as slow as hell. But it did have a
    built in Monitor (the sw program not the HW ...) and easily the best
    BASIC out there at the time.

    --
    If you are going to run a rinky-dink distro made by a couple of
    volunteers, why not run a rinky-dink distro made by a lot of volunteers?

  18. Hadron: a punching bag for COLA

    He must love getting slapped around on a regular basis. Why else would he stay
    here?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    Owner/Proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

    By all means marry: If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you
    get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
    -- Socrates

  19. Re: Hadron: a punching bag for COLA

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 21:15:10 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > He must love getting slapped around on a regular basis. Why else would
    > he stay here?

    It's masochism, they love it.

    As well, pretty much one for one, they are constantly negative, and
    cannot say anything good about anything.

    They thrive on dark energy. They're nuts.

    Sad little runts.

    The filter works GREAT. I now see NONE of their postings.

  20. Re: Hadron: a punching bag for COLA

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 21:15:10 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > He must love getting slapped around on a regular basis. Why else would he
    > stay here?

    Because:-
    1] He's a M$ shill & he *has* to defend his beloved windoze.

    2] He's a wintroll.

    3] He's a masochist, & likes being slapped around on a regular basis.

    Choose any of the above, or any combination of the above.

    Disclaimer:
    For external use only. Please wash hands after use.