Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance - Linux ; DFS wrote: > "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form." > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030 > > So what? -- Rick...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:31:47 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    > At 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10 years and despite being free,
    > that is probably a true statement.
    >
    > Linux should give up on the desktop market, like Redhat did, and
    > concentrate on servers and embedded devices.

    When did Red Hat stop producing its desktop distribution?

    --
    Rick

  3. Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

  4. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:31:47 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    At 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10 years and despite being free,
    that is probably a true statement.

    Linux should give up on the desktop market, like Redhat did, and
    concentrate on servers and embedded devices.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    On 2008-05-07, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Linux should give up on the desktop market......

    Yeah, live your fantasy.

    If Windows is "mainstream acceptance", I want no part of it.

    nb

  6. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    notbob writes:

    > On 2008-05-07, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> Linux should give up on the desktop market......

    > Yeah, live your fantasy.
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9272932512.html
    >
    > If Windows is "mainstream acceptance", I want no part of it.
    >
    > nb

    "if"? What planet do you live on? Just because you dont see many Windows
    desktops in your mom's basement it doesn't mean it isn't true. I doubt
    you ever saw a bear **** in the woods, but again, you knot its there
    waiting for the unwary step ...

  7. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    On 2008-05-07, Hadron wrote:

    > "if"? What planet do you live on? Just because you dont see many Windows
    > desktops.....

    By choice. I don't eat at McDonald's, either.

    nb

  8. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  9. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    On 05/07/08 11:08, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:31:47 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    > At 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10 years and despite being free,
    > that is probably a true statement.
    >
    > Linux should give up on the desktop market, like Redhat did, and
    > concentrate on servers and embedded devices.

    You might take a look at
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-O...ke-On-Windows/

    eWeek is generally fairly Windows-centric yet they're giving Linux a
    chance.

  11. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    Jean-David Beyer writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:31:47 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    >>> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    > I, personally, do not care if Linux becomes "mainstream" or not. I find it
    > suits my needs much better than Microsoftware does. If you do not find this
    > to be the case for your needs, use something else. Why not?
    >
    >> At 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10 years and despite being free,
    >> that is probably a true statement.

    > It is difficult to measure the desktop market after 10 years, or after any
    > period of time because Linux software is not always sold, and even when it
    > is, it can usually be copied free to other systems. So (ignoring
    > piracy),

    It's only difficult if you are a complete idiot. It is easy to get some
    idea of relative usage from net stats to an OS independent web site like
    the BBC. They clocked Linux at under 1% of their visitors which a casual
    look around would appear to verify.

  12. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    On 2008-05-07, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >> I, personally, do not care if Linux becomes "mainstream" or not. I find it
    >> suits my needs much better than Microsoftware does. If you do not find
    >> this
    >> to be the case for your needs, use something else. Why not?
    >>
    >>> At 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10 years and despite being
    >>> free,
    >>> that is probably a true statement.

    >> It is difficult to measure the desktop market after 10 years, or after any
    >> period of time because Linux software is not always sold, and even when it
    >> is, it can usually be copied free to other systems. So (ignoring piracy),
    >> Microsoftware can be measured rather accurately, where Linux systems
    >> cannot.

    > This is all fine and well if we were talking about "sales" - but we're
    > talking about "usage" and many free things can be accurately measured, so
    > why not linux?

    ...what other free things can be accurately measured?

    > This thing called "statistics" has been around a while and it's proven to
    > work rather well. We can "measure" how many people will travel over 50 miles

    Spoken like someone who's never had a stats class or even opened up
    a stats book.

    [deletia]

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  13. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Linux should give up on the desktop market, like Redhat did, and
    > concentrate on servers and embedded devices.

    ? teh very structure of that sentence shows your ignorance. Linux is not
    an entity, corporate or individual, that has intentionality, and
    therefore cannot act as the subject of an an anthropic verb like 'should'..

    Linux is an operating system.

    All it 'should' do is work.

    In whatever way its *designers and developers* want it to.

    Since they don't make a cent from it, its pretty hard to tell *them*
    what they should or should not do. And expect them to listen.

  14. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    Hadron wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >> I, personally, do not care if Linux becomes "mainstream" or not. I find it
    >> suits my needs much better than Microsoftware does. If you do not find this
    >> to be the case for your needs, use something else. Why not?
    >>
    >>> At 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10 years and despite being free,
    >>> that is probably a true statement.

    >> It is difficult to measure the desktop market after 10 years, or after any
    >> period of time because Linux software is not always sold, and even when it
    >> is, it can usually be copied free to other systems. So (ignoring
    >> piracy),

    > It's only difficult if you are a complete idiot. It is easy to get some
    > idea of relative usage from net stats to an OS independent web site like
    > the BBC. They clocked Linux at under 1% of their visitors which a casual
    > look around would appear to verify.

    Since its pretty much mandatory to tell the server you are in fact MS
    explorer to get onto most of their stuff, that doesn't surprise me..;-)

  15. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:31:47 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    >>> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    >> At 0.6 percent of the desktop market after 10 years and despite being free,
    >> that is probably a true statement.

    0.6%? Hmmm, a couple of years ago, flatso, you were always waving the
    0.24% figure around.

    So Linux usage has almost tripled in a couple years, by your own count.

    I applaud your advocacy! Even though your numbers are, and have always
    been, severe underestimates.

    >> Linux should give up on the desktop market, like Redhat did, and
    >> concentrate on servers and embedded devices.
    >>

    > When did Red Hat stop producing its desktop distribution?

    And if you look at Debian and Gentoo, they've never attempted /any/
    market. So there's nothing to give up.

    I love my Linux desktop. Thanks, Deb-Ian!

    --
    We will never make a 32-bit operating system.
    -- Bill Gates, At the launch of MSX[3]

  16. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-07, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

    >>> I, personally, do not care if Linux becomes "mainstream" or not. I find
    >>> it
    >>> suits my needs much better than Microsoftware does. If you do not find
    >>> this
    >>> to be the case for your needs, use something else. Why not?

    >>> It is difficult to measure the desktop market after 10 years, or after
    >>> any
    >>> period of time because Linux software is not always sold, and even when
    >>> it
    >>> is, it can usually be copied free to other systems. So (ignoring
    >>> piracy),
    >>> Microsoftware can be measured rather accurately, where Linux systems
    >>> cannot.

    >> This is all fine and well if we were talking about "sales" - but we're
    >> talking about "usage" and many free things can be accurately measured, so
    >> why not linux?

    > ...what other free things can be accurately measured?

    Try the things that you "snipped" for starters. Radio, television, etc.

    >> This thing called "statistics" has been around a while and it's proven to
    >> work rather well. We can "measure" how many people will travel over 50
    >> miles

    > Spoken like someone who's never had a stats class or even opened up
    > a stats book.

    Yes. I'm not surprised that you've never opened up a stat book. If you did
    you'd realize that a very good estimate of anything can be statistically
    calculated.

    > [deletia]
    >
    > --
    >
    > The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    > for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \
    > the social value of copyright to begin with.

  17. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-05-07, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

    >>> I, personally, do not care if Linux becomes "mainstream" or not. I find it
    >>> suits my needs much better than Microsoftware does. If you do not find
    >>> this
    >>> to be the case for your needs, use something else. Why not?

    >>> It is difficult to measure the desktop market after 10 years, or after any
    >>> period of time because Linux software is not always sold, and even when it
    >>> is, it can usually be copied free to other systems. So (ignoring piracy),
    >>> Microsoftware can be measured rather accurately, where Linux systems
    >>> cannot.

    >> This is all fine and well if we were talking about "sales" - but we're
    >> talking about "usage" and many free things can be accurately measured, so
    >> why not linux?

    > ...what other free things can be accurately measured?

    Is that a rhetorical question since most things can be measured.

    >> This thing called "statistics" has been around a while and it's proven to
    >> work rather well. We can "measure" how many people will travel over 50 miles

    > Spoken like someone who's never had a stats class or even opened up
    > a stats book.
    >
    > [deletia]

    You can run. But you can not hide.

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  18. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    The Natural Philosopher writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Jean-David Beyer writes:

    >>> I, personally, do not care if Linux becomes "mainstream" or not. I find it
    >>> suits my needs much better than Microsoftware does. If you do not find this
    >>> to be the case for your needs, use something else. Why not?

    >>> It is difficult to measure the desktop market after 10 years, or after any
    >>> period of time because Linux software is not always sold, and even when it
    >>> is, it can usually be copied free to other systems. So (ignoring
    >>> piracy),

    >> It's only difficult if you are a complete idiot. It is easy to get some
    >> idea of relative usage from net stats to an OS independent web site like
    >> the BBC. They clocked Linux at under 1% of their visitors which a casual
    >> look around would appear to verify.

    > Since its pretty much mandatory to tell the server you are in fact MS
    > explorer to get onto most of their stuff, that doesn't surprise
    > me..;-)

    For those that dont know, that statement is an outright lie, But I
    assume you were joking. I do all my surfing using iceweasel on debian.

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  19. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    DFS wrote:
    > "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    > http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    With all the progress Linux have made they should quit?
    Why?

    OpenOffice is great. It can do most of what MS Excel and Word can do.
    MySql is cool so is progres and can replace MS SQL server
    Apache is great.
    GTK and QT can be used to create GUI apps and you can do desktop
    database applications.

    In order to transform and convert the entire corporate IT system and
    do a revamping and possible conversion or rewrite of all of their
    applications with be a long and tedious task.
    If they are not up to that task, existing companies will not go that
    path.

    But if you are a startup company and you need to create an IT
    department from fresh, you can definitely use linux as a viable
    alternative to windows.
    All the tools are there. If you know how to utilize them.

    If you are a hardcore gamer, you might be disappointed in Linux since
    there aren't many.

    You should take a look at ubuntu/kubuntu/xbuntu and see how easy it
    is. It is not the linux of the 1990s. It has been simplified like
    windows 95.

    You should look at adept manager to manage packages.
    You can click on items to upgrade and install from the internet. Just
    like "windows update" except that you can actually install software
    from other sites. Development software, security updates, productivity
    software, etc.
    This is a new feature and have saved me all the headache of installing
    and upgrading software.

    Also with distros like DSL(Damn small linux) you can burn the OS into
    a cd and boot from it without using a hard disk. You can use a USB
    memory for storing data.
    So all you need is a computer with a cdrom and a usb flash memory and
    you can do Openoffice work. You can even boot off the USB and use
    that as a hard drive.
    This is really cool technology in portable prgramming.

    You mean end all the fun and stop the progress of new technology?
    Why quit now? LOL.

    In my opinion some linux OS are more advanced than the current windows
    and becoming much
    more easier to use.

  20. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, dceicorp@gmail.com

    wrote
    on Wed, 7 May 2008 13:10:14 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > DFS wrote:
    >> "I believe it will never become mainstream in it's current form."
    >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtop...806771&t=28030

    > With all the progress Linux have made they should quit?
    > Why?
    >
    > OpenOffice is great. It can do most of what MS Excel and Word can do.

    Dumb question: what can't it do? ;-)

    > MySql is cool so is progres and can replace MS SQL server

    That's PostgreSQL (www.postgresql.org). Neither is a 100%
    replacement if someone uses MS SQL extensions, but if
    everything standard it's almost trivial.

    > Apache is great.

    A useful webserver, can also hook into JBoss and Tomcat.

    > GTK and QT can be used to create GUI apps and you can do desktop
    > database applications.

    Or just use oobase. I'll admit I'm not thrilled about it, though.

    > In order to transform and convert the entire corporate IT system and
    > do a revamping and possible conversion or rewrite of all of their
    > applications with be a long and tedious task.
    > If they are not up to that task, existing companies will not go that
    > path.

    Windows works well enough. Of course, Linux works better. ;-)

    > But if you are a startup company and you need to create an IT
    > department from fresh, you can definitely use linux as a viable
    > alternative to windows.
    > All the tools are there. If you know how to utilize them.
    >
    > If you are a hardcore gamer, you might be disappointed in Linux since
    > there aren't many.

    There's a few. I've not worked with DirectX but compared to OpenGL
    it looks cumbersome.

    > You should take a look at ubuntu/kubuntu/xbuntu and see how easy it
    > is. It is not the linux of the 1990s. It has been simplified like
    > windows 95.
    >
    > You should look at adept manager to manage packages.
    > You can click on items to upgrade and install from the internet. Just
    > like "windows update" except that you can actually install software
    > from other sites. Development software, security updates, productivity
    > software, etc.
    > This is a new feature and have saved me all the headache of installing
    > and upgrading software.
    >
    > Also with distros like DSL(Damn small linux) you can burn the OS into
    > a cd and boot from it without using a hard disk.

    The same can be said for many many other distros. Gentoo's liveDVD
    in particular dumps one into an XFCE environment.

    > You can use a USB
    > memory for storing data.
    > So all you need is a computer with a cdrom and a usb flash memory and
    > you can do Openoffice work. You can even boot off the USB and use
    > that as a hard drive.
    > This is really cool technology in portable prgramming.

    Aye.

    > You mean end all the fun and stop the progress of new technology?
    > Why quit now? LOL.
    >
    > In my opinion some linux OS are more advanced than the current windows
    > and becoming much
    > more easier to use.

    And deploy and debug, generally.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
    item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast