Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance - Linux ; On 2008-05-07, Hadron wrote: > JEDIDIAH writes: > >> On 2008-05-07, Ezekiel wrote: >>> >>> "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message >>> news:xdkUj.7719$0L.7200@trnddc07... >>>> Moshe Goldfarb wrote: >>>>> On Wed, 7 May 2008 08:31:47 -0400, DFS wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> "I believe ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    On 2008-05-07, Hadron wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-07, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

    >>> This is all fine and well if we were talking about "sales" - but we're
    >>> talking about "usage" and many free things can be accurately measured, so
    >>> why not linux?

    >> ...what other free things can be accurately measured?

    > Is that a rhetorical question since most things can be measured.

    Nope. I want a methodology from him and good examples from him
    of other "free things" that are accurately/adequately measure.

    >>> This thing called "statistics" has been around a while and it's proven to
    >>> work rather well. We can "measure" how many people will travel over 50 miles

    >> Spoken like someone who's never had a stats class or even opened up
    >> a stats book.
    >>
    >> [deletia]

    > You can run. But you can not hide.

    Why would I want to? The lot of you are like tribbles.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

  2. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:09:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Jean-David Beyer writes:

    >>> I, personally, do not care if Linux becomes "mainstream" or not. I find
    >>> it suits my needs much better than Microsoftware does. If you do not
    >>> find this to be the case for your needs, use something else. Why not?

    >>> It is difficult to measure the desktop market after 10 years, or after
    >>> any period of time because Linux software is not always sold, and even
    >>> when it is, it can usually be copied free to other systems. So
    >>> (ignoring piracy),

    >> It's only difficult if you are a complete idiot. It is easy to get some
    >> idea of relative usage from net stats to an OS independent web site like
    >> the BBC. They clocked Linux at under 1% of their visitors which a casual
    >> look around would appear to verify.

    > Since its pretty much mandatory to tell the server you are in fact MS
    > explorer to get onto most of their stuff, that doesn't surprise me..;-)

    Because browsers can emulate M$ Explorer is why Google gave up using
    browser stats. But of course it's been explained to Quack quite a few
    times why net stats are irrelevant, but he clings to his belief like a
    drowning man. Everyone else is wrong, & he's the only one right. Spot teh
    flaw.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  3. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-05-07, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> ...what other free things can be accurately measured?

    >> Try the things that you "snipped" for starters. Radio, television, etc.

    > Radio and Television accurately measured?

    It's called responsible sampling. Do try and keep up.

  4. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    "William Poaster" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.05.07.22.34.37.361568@leafnode.amd64.eu...
    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:09:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> It's only difficult if you are a complete idiot. It is easy to get some
    >>> idea of relative usage from net stats to an OS independent web site
    >>> like
    >>> the BBC. They clocked Linux at under 1% of their visitors which a
    >>> casual
    >>> look around would appear to verify.

    >> Since its pretty much mandatory to tell the server you are in fact MS
    >> explorer to get onto most of their stuff, that doesn't surprise me..;-)

    > Because browsers can emulate M$ Explorer

    Poor Willy. Simple things for simple minds. I guess if I was a retard I
    would also think that the *only* way to determine a browser or OS would be
    by the user-agent string.

    > is why Google gave up using browser stats.

    Is that what they told you? It's certainly not the public reason that
    Google gave.

    > But of course it's been explained to Quack quite a few
    > times why net stats are irrelevant,

    And it's been explained to retards several times why it is possible to
    accurately estimate how many people use linux.

    > but he clings to his belief like a
    > drowning man. Everyone else is wrong, & he's the only one right. Spot teh
    > flaw.

    Stick to pretending that you know something about filters and killfiles
    Willy. Otherwise you'll continue to look like the retard that you are.

  5. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    I demand that JEDIDIAH may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > Ignoring the absurd notion that Neilson numbers are accurate for the
    > moment, you are ignoring one important fact: Television is not free. It is
    > VERY EXPENSIVE.

    > Production of content is not cheap. Delivery of content is not cheap.

    No argument so far...

    > All of it is supported by advertising [...]

    It is? Really? So what's this TV licence fee for, and why do the BBC show no
    advertising? :-)

    (Then there's merchandising and selling of content to other networks...)

    [snip]
    | + Output less CO2 => avoid massive flooding. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    There are liars, damned liars, and politicians.

  6. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    Hadron wrote:

    > For those that dont know, that statement is an outright lie, But I
    > assume you were joking. I do all my surfing using iceweasel on debian.

    Liar.

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ...."Ensign Pillsbury?" "He's bread, Jim."

    Good to the last supper

  7. Re: Linux: no chance for mainstream acceptance

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-05-07, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> Try the things that you "snipped" for starters. Radio, television, etc.

    >> Radio and Television accurately measured?
    >>
    >> You're too funny...

    > It's definitely measured accurately. How do you think they decide what
    > shows will be cancelled and which shows will be returning next season. How
    > do you think they determine the advertising rates for various programs. Do
    > you think they just "guess" and make up some wild ass number.

    Poor Jeb. Totally shot down. Why can COLA loons not except the truth
    when it reflects badly on Linux?

    TV companies use these stats in order tweak their product to result in
    increased audience.

    COLA loons? Deny everything and continue to sit back and fiddle while
    Rome burns. Crazy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2