This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking. - Linux

This is a discussion on This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking. - Linux ; Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Wed, 07 May 2008 03:46:17 -0400, ~flyer@there.net~ wrote: > >> Saw all hardware smoothly. > > No doubt. > Whether it FULL utilized all the features, especially the advanced ones is > the question most ...

  1. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 03:46:17 -0400, ~flyer@there.net~ wrote:
    >
    >> Saw all hardware smoothly.

    > No doubt.
    > Whether it FULL utilized all the features, especially the advanced ones is
    > the question most people will have.

    .... like some people will have.

    >> Differences from DSL and DSL-N, but similar enough that what I learned
    >> went not to waste.

    > That will come in handy when you do the distribution dance in a week or two
    > after you get tired of PCLinuxOS.

    .... you mena like you did?

    >> No business critical or important personal tasks left to Win (boohoo),
    >> just some damn maps till I get WINE fermenting, oops I mean running
    >> (rough weekend) in my hardware.

    > Wine?
    >
    > Not to be used for critical applications say the developers.
    > Having used Wine, I agree completely.

    Did he mention Wine? No?

    >> The stability of Linux compared to rattling cracked windows is vastly
    >> more than dramatic.

    > Sure.....
    > You've been running it for a couple of hours and you make a statement like
    > that?
    > Go read the PCLinuxOS, or better yet the Ubuntu help groups and come back
    > and explain why people are having all kinds of problems, major problems
    > with Linux.

    Go read the Windows forums and come back and tell us why why people are
    having all kinds of problems, major problem with Windows.

    Go read the Mac/OS X forums and come back and tell us why why people are
    having all kinds of problems, major problem with Macs.

    >> In fact one cannot compare win to real programming. It wouldn't be fair.

    > You mean like MVS/XA?
    > C++
    >
    > Yea you are right.
    > It's like apples and oranges.
    > What a marooooooooooon!

    Pot. Kettle. Black.

    >> Win is what you give to your kids to wipe their noses or clean up the dog
    >> stuff in the yard. And then you throw it where it belongs.

    > You let your dog crap in your yard where your kids play?
    > If figures.

    Apparently not, since he is moving --from-- Windows.

    >> And GET THIS. I didn't have to call some purple haired freak in Redmond
    >> WAWA to get *permission* to run it!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Yea, you can call this bunch to come and help you....
    >
    > http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    WHat does that have to do with asking permission to run the copy of
    WIndows you just purchased/licensed?

    >> I just started running it!!!!!!!

    > Well that explains your over the top enthusiasm.
    > Based on other replies you don't even know what version you are running so
    > obviously you are not too bright.

    .... and why do you use PCLOS ?

    >> And I can change anything I want any time I want without the stupid thing
    >> shutting down!!!!!

    > Here's a couple of nice commands to try:
    >
    > # ){:|:&};:
    > # rm -rf *
    >

    >> I guess the age of Acquarius has arrived.

    > It arrived circa 1969.
    > Looks like you've missed it.
    >

    >> Or is it the real High Tech Rennaisance built on linux.

    > No, it's your lack of experience with Linux and your Loony Linux advocate
    > tendencies.

    ... as opposed to your bigoted FUD?

    --
    Rick

  2. This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    Saw all hardware smoothly.

[...]

  3. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    Is this the 2008 PCLos you are talking about?

    I find 2007 PC Los as the most accomodative of distros - easy going
    with the admin stuff, GUI tools to handle most tasks that other
    distros insist on typing out commands, etc.
    Though, one area where it consistently failed was in application
    management. Every attempt to install a program ended with a "rpm
    database not available" error.
    I have tried many distros, and have found that no one offers a
    complete working solution - some have hardware driver issues, some are
    too uptight about security - long passwords, and no direct access to
    root account, some have application installation issues, etc. PCLos is
    the only one that comes close as long as I do not want to install
    additional stuff.

  4. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 01:09:52 -0700, Htnakirs wrote:

    > Is this the 2008 PCLos you are talking about?
    >
    > I find 2007 PC Los as the most accomodative of distros - easy going with
    > the admin stuff, GUI tools to handle most tasks that other distros
    > insist on typing out commands, etc. Though, one area where it
    > consistently failed was in application management. Every attempt to
    > install a program ended with a "rpm database not available" error.
    > I have tried many distros, and have found that no one offers a complete
    > working solution - some have hardware driver issues, some are too
    > uptight about security - long passwords, and no direct access to root
    > account, some have application installation issues, etc. PCLos is the
    > only one that comes close as long as I do not want to install additional
    > stuff.

    Well apparently mine is the 07 version.

    Although I *may* have downloaded the 08 and simply mislabeled my install
    CD. Doubt it.

    Right now I'm wondering. But whatever I have is smooth sailing so far.

    If I have 07, and there is an 08, I'll probably re-install.

    Have you tried the 08 ver?

    I'll check it out. Thanks!

    Tried PCLOS a good while back, went to DSL an DSL-N, now adding PCLOS for
    the greater array of programs.

    I've got several different hardware setups. 1300mhz desktop, several
    500mhz Fujitsu pen tablets, etc.

  5. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 01:09:52 -0700, Htnakirs wrote:

    > Is this the 2008 PCLos you are talking about?
    >
    > I find 2007 PC Los as the most accomodative of distros - easy going with
    > the admin stuff, GUI tools to handle most tasks that other distros
    > insist on typing out commands, etc. Though, one area where it
    > consistently failed was in application management. Every attempt to
    > install a program ended with a "rpm database not available" error.
    > I have tried many distros, and have found that no one offers a complete
    > working solution - some have hardware driver issues, some are too
    > uptight about security - long passwords, and no direct access to root
    > account, some have application installation issues, etc. PCLos is the
    > only one that comes close as long as I do not want to install additional
    > stuff.

    Mine is 07 Final.

    I've not seen an 08 version unless there's a beta needing testers.

    So far I have never needed to install anything other than in the distro,
    so have not tried.

    Now that you mention this, I think I'll grab some programs and test their
    installing.

    Matter of fact I never installed anything additional on the DSL stuff
    either.

    Time for a little project here when I get some time out of a long day.

  6. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    ~flyer@there.net~ writes:

    > Saw all hardware smoothly.

    "saw all HW smoothly" ? Err, right.

    > Differences from DSL and DSL-N, but similar enough that what I learned
    > went not to waste.

    Aha. So it didn't.

    > No business critical or important personal tasks left to Win (boohoo),

    The most critical thing you have to do is do up your shoe laces. But
    somehow I suspect you have velcro straps.

    > just some damn maps till I get WINE fermenting, oops I mean running
    > (rough weekend) in my hardware.
    >
    > The stability of Linux compared to rattling cracked windows is vastly
    > more than dramatic.

    Sure.

    > In fact one cannot compare win to real programming. It wouldn't be
    > fair.

    Win to programming? And how about apples to oranges?

    > Win is what you give to your kids to wipe their noses or clean up the dog
    > stuff in the yard. And then you throw it where it belongs.

    Yess ....

    > And GET THIS. I didn't have to call some purple haired freak in Redmond
    > WAWA to get *permission* to run it!!!!!!!!!!!

    Huh?

    > I just started running it!!!!!!!

    Yes ....

    > And I can change anything I want any time I want without the stupid thing
    > shutting down!!!!!

    Wonderful - so your screensaver can run uninterrupted.

    > I guess the age of Acquarius has arrived.
    >
    > Or is it the real High Tech Rennaisance built on linux.

    You are quite mad.

  7. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 11:30:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ~flyer@there.net~ writes:
    >
    >> Saw all hardware smoothly.

    > "saw all HW smoothly" ? Err, right.

    Yes, right... do yo have some factual evidence his hardware wasn't seen
    smoothly?

    >> Differences from DSL and DSL-N, but similar enough that what I learned
    >> went not to waste.

    > Aha. So it didn't.

    It didn't what? Hardware? Hardware isn't mentioned in the sentence.

    >> No business critical or important personal tasks left to Win (boohoo),

    > The most critical thing you have to do is do up your shoe laces. But
    > somehow I suspect you have velcro straps.

    ... as opposed to you that runs world-dependent missions critical apps
    24/7.

    >> just some damn maps till I get WINE fermenting, oops I mean running
    >> (rough weekend) in my hardware.
    >>
    >> The stability of Linux compared to rattling cracked windows is vastly
    >> more than dramatic.

    > Sure.

    Nice of you to agree.

    >> In fact one cannot compare win to real programming. It wouldn't be
    >> fair.

    > Win to programming? And how about apples to oranges?

    They are both somewhat roundish.

    >> Win is what you give to your kids to wipe their noses or clean up the
    >> dog stuff in the yard. And then you throw it where it belongs.

    > Yess ....

    Thanks for again agreeing.

    >> And GET THIS. I didn't have to call some purple haired freak in Redmond
    >> WAWA to get *permission* to run it!!!!!!!!!!!

    > Huh?

    .... are you that uninformed?

    >> I just started running it!!!!!!!

    > Yes ....

    Thanks for again agreeing.

    >> And I can change anything I want any time I want without the stupid
    >> thing shutting down!!!!!

    > Wonderful - so your screensaver can run uninterrupted.

    It is a shame yours doesn't.

    >> I guess the age of Acquarius has arrived.
    >>
    >> Or is it the real High Tech Rennaisance built on linux.

    > You are quite mad.

    .... you're a pozer.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    Hadron wrote:

    > "saw all HW smoothly" ? Err, right.

    How do you know it didn't see all HW on his machine smoothly, asshole?

    PCLOS is not perfect by any means, but it does have very good HW detection.

    As you may recall, Quack, I deployed it on a few dozen desktops, and it had
    no problems setting up the HW on any of them.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....How come wrong numbers are never busy???

    Good to the last supper

  9. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    Rick wrote:

    > .. as opposed to you that runs world-dependent missions critical apps
    > 24/7.

    Don't forget he takes time out to 1) Continue to work on his s00per sekritt
    contribution to open source, and 2) Plot and plan his Central Distro
    Approval Committee.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Contraceptives: use 'em on all conceivable occasions.

    Good to the last supper

  10. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 07:30:22 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> "saw all HW smoothly" ? Err, right.

    > How do you know it didn't see all HW on his machine smoothly, asshole?
    >
    > PCLOS is not perfect by any means, but it does have very good HW
    > detection.
    >
    > As you may recall, Quack, I deployed it on a few dozen desktops, and it
    > had no problems setting up the HW on any of them.

    The local LUG has deployed PCLOS as dual boot on quite a few desktops,
    (Ubuntu being the other popular distro) for people wanting to try linux.
    It's not had any trouble detecting HW, from what I'm told.

    So once again, "Quack the Asshole" drivelling about some *he* hasn't used.
    Fine linux advocacy from him there, was it *not*.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  11. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 03:46:17 -0400, ~flyer@there.net~ wrote:

    > Saw all hardware smoothly.

    No doubt.
    Whether it FULL utilized all the features, especially the advanced ones is
    the question most people will have.

    > Differences from DSL and DSL-N, but similar enough that what I learned
    > went not to waste.

    That will come in handy when you do the distribution dance in a week or two
    after you get tired of PCLinuxOS.

    > No business critical or important personal tasks left to Win (boohoo),
    > just some damn maps till I get WINE fermenting, oops I mean running
    > (rough weekend) in my hardware.

    Wine?

    Not to be used for critical applications say the developers.
    Having used Wine, I agree completely.

    > The stability of Linux compared to rattling cracked windows is vastly
    > more than dramatic.

    Sure.....
    You've been running it for a couple of hours and you make a statement like
    that?
    Go read the PCLinuxOS, or better yet the Ubuntu help groups and come back
    and explain why people are having all kinds of problems, major problems
    with Linux.

    > In fact one cannot compare win to real programming. It wouldn't be fair.

    You mean like MVS/XA?
    C++

    Yea you are right.
    It's like apples and oranges.
    What a marooooooooooon!

    > Win is what you give to your kids to wipe their noses or clean up the dog
    > stuff in the yard. And then you throw it where it belongs.

    You let your dog crap in your yard where your kids play?
    If figures.

    > And GET THIS. I didn't have to call some purple haired freak in Redmond
    > WAWA to get *permission* to run it!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yea, you can call this bunch to come and help you....

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    > I just started running it!!!!!!!

    Well that explains your over the top enthusiasm.
    Based on other replies you don't even know what version you are running so
    obviously you are not too bright.

    > And I can change anything I want any time I want without the stupid thing
    > shutting down!!!!!

    Here's a couple of nice commands to try:

    # ){:|:&};:
    # rm -rf *

    > I guess the age of Acquarius has arrived.

    It arrived circa 1969.
    Looks like you've missed it.

    > Or is it the real High Tech Rennaisance built on linux.

    No, it's your lack of experience with Linux and your Loony Linux advocate
    tendencies.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  13. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Wed, 07 May 2008 05:45:48 -0500
    :
    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 11:30:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ~flyer@there.net~ writes:
    >>
    >>> Saw all hardware smoothly.

    >> "saw all HW smoothly" ? Err, right.

    > Yes, right... do yo have some factual evidence his hardware
    > wasn't seen smoothly?

    I'd be surprised if it saw Creative Labs' sound cards
    reliably; they are known problem areas. Also, many older
    model WinModems and some WiFi equipment in laptops.

    Otherwise....*shrug*

    My personal experience: nx9010 has what apparently is a
    Broadcom WiFi modem; Linux saw it rather readily at one
    point. Most of my WiFi problems were at a higher level --
    and it *does* work, though to no point really here at work
    (though there is a hotspot somewhere nearby, it's just
    that I'm wired into the corporate network). Gentoo's setup
    makes it almost trivial, once I installed a package whose
    name now escapes me. Firmware rediscovery time, I guess.
    There's more packages: wpa_supplicant and b43-fwcutter
    and bcm43xx-fwcutter, both of which are masked. Grrr.

    IEE1394 ("Firewire"): works. I'd never used it before,
    but my terabyte storage system plugged right in and was
    recognized as a pseudo-SCSI device (/dev/sda). Its main
    problem: it doesn't shut off when the laptop powers off,
    which means I have to reboot; *then* it spins down.
    As problem goes, minor.

    Display screen: Works fine.

    External monitor: Works in 1.3; has problems in 1.4.
    I surmise a driver or config issue.

    USB: Both mice and storage units work. (The mouse at work
    is a conventional PS/2 affair, which means I get to use
    the laptop keyboard -- or ssh in.)

    Single mouse/keyboard plugin: Works for either mouse or keyboard,
    a very pleasant surprise.

    Touch-sensitive pad: Works. And yes, it *is* touch
    sensitive; I can tap on the pad and it gets translated
    into a left mousebutton click. Windows can't appear to do
    that -- but there might be a utility out there that can.
    I'd have to find it. It's not worth the bother.

    Hibernating: In progress. The suspend works all right,
    but the recovery gets slightly confused and goes for the
    full reboot.

    Audio: The usual problems, but is generally functional.
    I'll admit to wondering when ALSA and company will get
    their respective acts together; for now, everything but
    Rosegarden functions, and Rosegarden is hit-or-miss, not
    because of anything *it's* doing, but because I've missed a
    virtual connection somewhere. As of right now, Rosegarden,
    jackd, and fluidsynth are functional on my Athlon (though
    it sounds funny since I'm using a different sound patch);
    I've not recompiled these for my laptop.

    Floppy: I'd be surprised if it doesn't work. (This isn't
    the newest of laptops.)

    Modem: Haven't tried it yet. dmesg indicates ttyS1 is a
    serial8250, whatever that chip is. Minicom is less than
    happy with it. Since I've worked with 16550s before
    (that's a standard UART AFAICT) color me puzzled, but
    I also expect that I'll be using this thing only once
    every decade or so. I suspect a clock divisor issue.
    Not sure it's worth the trouble, but I now have setserial
    compiled here.

    S-Video output: X 1.4 recognizes it but I've not tried it yet.

    [rest snipped for brevity]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's not the desktop that's
    important, it's the ability to DO something
    with it.

  14. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    Rick writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Wed, 07 May 2008 03:46:17 -0400, ~flyer@there.net~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Saw all hardware smoothly.

    >> No doubt.
    >> Whether it FULL utilized all the features, especially the advanced ones is
    >> the question most people will have.

    > ... like some people will have.
    >

    >>> Differences from DSL and DSL-N, but similar enough that what I
    >>> learned went not to waste.

    >> That will come in handy when you do the distribution dance in a week or two
    >> after you get tired of PCLinuxOS.

    > ... you mena like you did?
    >

    >>> No business critical or important personal tasks left to Win
    >>> (boohoo), just some damn maps till I get WINE fermenting, oops I
    >>> mean running (rough weekend) in my hardware.

    >> Wine?
    >>
    >> Not to be used for critical applications say the developers.
    >> Having used Wine, I agree completely.

    > Did he mention Wine? No?

    Err .....

  15. Re: This PCLOS Installed in Minutes, Maybe 15-20. Still Tweaking.

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 21:16:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> No doubt.
    >>> Whether it FULL utilized all the features, especially the advanced
    >>> ones is the question most people will have.

    >> ... like some people will have.

    >>> That will come in handy when you do the distribution dance in a week
    >>> or two after you get tired of PCLinuxOS.

    >> ... you mena like you did?

    >>> Wine?
    >>>
    >>> Not to be used for critical applications say the developers. Having
    >>> used Wine, I agree completely.

    >> Did he mention Wine? No?

    > Err .....

    Damn.. he did mention Wine....