Binding Process/Process Group to CPU (Core) via Scheduler - Linux

This is a discussion on Binding Process/Process Group to CPU (Core) via Scheduler - Linux ; Hi All. I read sometime (year or so) ago about a move to include in the 2.6 kernel the option to have a system call that "binds a process or process group to a particular CPU or CPU core" so ...

  1. Binding Process/Process Group to CPU (Core) via Scheduler

    Hi All.

    I read sometime (year or so) ago about a move to include in the 2.6 kernel
    the option to have a system call that "binds a process or process group to
    a particular CPU or CPU core" so as to make the process ultra
    effective/efficient as far as CPU cache & memory latency was concerned.

    Has anything evolved from this discussion? If so what?

    Is there any experimentation of same under the 2.6 release to allow such
    functionality for GCC 4.2+ Option --fopenmp for OpenMP integration/usage?

    Any and all comments appreciated.
    Grahame.

  2. Re: Binding Process/Process Group to CPU (Core) via Scheduler

    G wrote in

    > I read sometime (year or so) ago about a move to include in the 2.6
    > kernel the option to have a system call that "binds a process or
    > process group to a particular CPU or CPU core" so as to make the
    > process ultra effective/efficient as far as CPU cache & memory latency
    > was concerned.
    >
    > Has anything evolved from this discussion? If so what?

    If the process group leader sets its affinity (via sched_setaffinity(2)),
    all its descendant processes will inherit that affinity. I don't see that
    there's anything additional required. (Or perhaps the discussion you saw
    was from the time before this was implemented though that discussion would
    have taken place far more than a year ago.)

    GH

  3. Re: Binding Process/Process Group to CPU (Core) via Scheduler

    Gil Hamilton wrote:
    > If the process group leader sets its affinity (via sched_setaffinity(2)),
    > all its descendant processes will inherit that affinity. I don't see that
    > there's anything additional required. (Or perhaps the discussion you saw
    > was from the time before this was implemented though that discussion would
    > have taken place far more than a year ago.)

    This is a different mechanism than the one cpusets in cgroups (kernel
    2.6.24) right? He could also use that one...

  4. Re: Binding Process/Process Group to CPU (Core) via Scheduler

    linuxnewbie1234 wrote in
    news:48245a1f$0$87956$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.oct anews.com:
    > Gil Hamilton wrote:
    >> If the process group leader sets its affinity (via
    >> sched_setaffinity(2)), all its descendant processes will inherit that
    >> affinity. I don't see that there's anything additional required.
    >> (Or perhaps the discussion you saw was from the time before this was
    >> implemented though that discussion would have taken place far more
    >> than a year ago.)

    > This is a different mechanism than the one cpusets in cgroups (kernel
    > 2.6.24) right? He could also use that one...

    You're absolutely right. I was not aware of cgroups and cpusets. I just
    skimmed the documentation from the 2.6.25 kernel and it looks like that's
    exactly what the OP must have seen being discussed a "year or so" ago.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

    GH

+ Reply to Thread