[News] Drug Industry Takes Lessons from Free Software and Promotes Sharing - Linux

  1. [News] Drug Industry Takes Lessons from Free Software and Promotes Sharing

    The Drug Resurrector

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Johns Hopkins Clinical Compound Screening Initiative is an open-source
    | effort to collect and index more than 10,000 known medications and determine
    | which of them are also effective against hundreds of low-profile, Third World
    | killers, such as Chagas disease, cholera and leprosy. The library will
    | function something like a Wikipedia of drug discovery, where scientists
    | around the world can contribute to the database and even provide samples or
    | screen drugs themselves, thereby saving millions of dollars on R&D.
    `----

    http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...ug-resurrector

    The question of sharing as ethical is a matter of life and death here.

    Recent:

    Open-source model for drug discovery?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Significant public funding along with the ability for private enterprise to
    | benefit from the open source approach will result in a strong public-private
    | partnership and ensure success of the open source approach. *
    `----

    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2651121.cms

    Related:

    Open source drug discovery

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The idea, taking off from successful open source models such as the human
    | genome sequencing initiative, is very simple. All the relevant data and
    | accumulated intelligence on a particular disease, tuberculosis to begin with,
    | would be hosted online. * *
    `----

    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2639296.cms

    'Open source' urged for TB drug design effort

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of India's top genetics researchers has called for a global,
    | collaborative effort to design a new tuberculosis (TB) drug using an 'open
    | source' approach. *
    `----

    http://www.scidev.net/news/index.cfm...082&language=1

    Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software is not the only field affected by open source; many fields of study
    | and social and political views have been affected by the growth of the
    | concept of open source. Advocates in one field will often support the
    | expansion of open source in other fields, including Linus Torvalds who is
    | quoted as saying, "the future is open source everything." * *
    `----

    http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/

    Open source synthetic biology

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not everyone within synthetic biology takes the open-source approach, Andrew
    | Hessel, an iGEM consultant who recruits teams from Canadian universities,
    | told me, but the driving force behind it is iGEM and MIT (Rettberg works with
    | renowned hacker-turned-synthetic biologist Tom Knight). Hessel likened the
    | atmosphere to the time when computers were first becoming cheap enough to be
    | affordable by anyone who wanted one, and young, bright kids began to play
    | around with code. * * *
    `----

    http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/53822/

    Biology Goes Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some of the world's biggest drug companies are finding that
    | their genetic research is worth more to them if they give it away.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/...ml?partner=rss
    http://tinyurl.com/2vqssl

    Pharmac publishes directly with open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The team used Python, libxml/libxslt and TeX, running on Debian GNU/Linux,
    | and the open document standards TeX, XML, MathML, XHTML, and Xlink, says
    | Geering. *
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2573630083A579

    Red Hat scores Swedish pharmacy contract

    | Apoteket, the pharmacy network, will convert to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    | running on Intel hardware, Red Hat said. Financial terms of the deal were not
    | disclosed. *
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070918/1522057.html?.v=1

    Open Source Research -- the Power of Us

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source methods have delivered tangible benefits in the computer
    | science community. We describe here efforts to extend these principles
    | to science generally, and in particular biomedical research. Open
    | source research holds great promise for solving complex problems in
    | areas where profit-driven research is seen to have failed. We
    | illustrate this with a specific problem in organic chemistry that
    | we think will be solved substantially faster with an open
    | source approach.
    `----

    http://www.publish.csiro.au/view/jou...d=51&f=CH06095

    Our Biotech Future [is Open Source]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open Source biology could be a powerful tool, giving us access to
    | cheap and abundant solar energy.
    `----

    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20370

    Open-Source Drug Safety?

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/home/sciencesa...h_0522fda.html

    Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Open source" as applied to culture defines a culture in which
    | intellectual property is made generally available. Participants
    | in such a culture are able to improve and modify those products
    | and redistribute them back into the community.
    `----

    http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/51/

    Thailand fed up with high drug prices - minister

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We have thought about this for more than five years. It's long enough,"
    | said Mongkol na Songkhla, who is leading one of the biggest challenges to
    | Big Pharma's patent rights in years.
    `----

    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=worldupdates

  2. Re: [News] Drug Industry Takes Lessons from Free Software and PromotesSharing

    Roy Schestowitz had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 07-05-08 03:39:

> [...]
    > | public statement.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | It's an open source approach to drug safety.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.forbes.com/home/sciencesa...h_0522fda.html
    >

    > Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "Open source" as applied to culture defines a culture in which
    > | intellectual property is made generally available. Participants
    > | in such a culture are able to improve and modify those products
    > | and redistribute them back into the community.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/51/
    >

    > Thailand fed up with high drug prices - minister
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "We have thought about this for more than five years. It's long enough,"
    > | said Mongkol na Songkhla, who is leading one of the biggest challenges to

    Many people are re-inventing the wheel, it seems. Europe has been built
    with the open source model by the Benedictines all over Europe. All
    inventions and improvements on other people's inventions were shared
    among the monasteries. It was the same in the universities: knowledge
    was shared.

    Erik Jan.

  3. Re: [News] Drug Industry Takes Lessons from Free Software and Promotes Sharing

    ____/ Erik Jan on Thursday 08 May 2008 07:10 : \____

    > Many people are re-inventing the wheel, it seems. Europe has been built
    > with the open source model by the Benedictines all over Europe. All
    > inventions and improvements on other people's inventions were shared
    > among the monasteries. It was the same in the universities: knowledge
    > was shared.
    >
    > Erik Jan.

    Watch the following talk. It comes in many parts, but here he speaks about drug
    development:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa3EA...eature=related

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
    Tasks: 120 total, 2 running, 118 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie