[News] Another Look at KDE4's Beautiful Raptor Menu and Cairo-Dock - Linux

  1. [News] Another Look at KDE4's Beautiful Raptor Menu and Cairo-Dock

    The KDE Raptor Menu - A quick overview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Being a KDE lover myself, I'm always intrigued by some of the different
    | features and software that come out for KDE. The latest is the Raptor menu.
    | It's certainly an interesting menu system and one that I think deserves
    | closer attention.
    `----

    http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=411

    Cairo-Dock Adds Slick, Custom App-Launching to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux only: We're big fans of application dock and launcher Avant Window
    | Navigator around here, but free utility Cairo-Dock makes a strong showing as
    | well, not least for its highly-configurable and slick appearance, as well as
    | a good range of plug-ins and third-party applets.
    `----

    http://www.lifehacker.com.au/tips/20...o_linux-2.html

    These two bits make GNU/Linux at least as pretty as Mac OS X,

    5 Linux distributions that rival OS X for looks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All of these distributions are freely available, so if you like the look of
    | one, then just click on the link to take you to the website, where you can
    | download an ISO image and burn it to disc to try. I know that some Mac users
    | hate having to use Windows if they're at a friend or relative's house, so if
    | you like the look of one of these, you may want to keep a copy handy to use
    | as an alternative under those circumstances. Also, Linux has the same kind of
    | resistance to viruses and malware as OS X, so you have those advantages as
    | well - always worth having if you're going to use a computer that could have
    | all kinds of junk on it! Live CD's can also be handy if your computer won't
    | boot due to problems and you need to use it in a hurry.
    `----

    http://farbeyondtheedgeofreason.blog...ival-os-x.html

    Recent:

    First look: KDE 4.1 alpha 1 very promising

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The open-source KDE desktop environment is built on top of Trolltech's Qt
    | development toolkit. One of the most significant changes in KDE 4.1 is the
    | adoption of Qt 4.4, a new version of the toolkit which includes important
    | features such as a built-in WebKit-based HTML rendering widget and support
    | for placing widgets on canvases. These features will bring some new
    | capabilities to KDE's Plasma desktop shell. * *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...promising.html

    KDE 4 rev 802150: Work in progress

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | KWin with Wobbly Windows
    |
    | Kwin features a new visual effect known to most of you from Compiz: the
    | Wobbly Windows. Only a few days ago the settings panel for this effect had
    | tons of detailed options. Most of these options have been disabled now, the
    | only thing that can be configured is the window deformation level while in *
    | motion. This seems more appropriate for a common user since the number of
    | configurable settings was overwhelming before. One minor flaw that I noticed
    | in KWin Wobble Windows is that the window shadow is not properly deformed (it
    | does not adjust to the current shape of the window). * * *
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-rev...k-in-progress/

    KDE 4 rev 790000: Better stability and performance

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is another revision of the development version of KDE 4 environment.
    | Lots of you have asked why it took me so long to publish this article. Well,
    | I was just waiting for rev 790000, that’s all. I hope that your curiosity
    | will be satisfied since there’s been a lot of changes to describe this time.
    | I did my best. * *
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-rev...d-performance/

    KDE 4.1: Visual Changelog (rev 783000)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You don’t always see this in the official changelogs but the KDE 4
    | development is progressing in an extraordinary speed. After a deep look at
    | rev 777000 we are presenting you a new visual review of changes made to KDE 4
    | during the last couple of weeks. *
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-vi...og-rev-783000/

  2. Re: [News] Another Look at KDE4's Beautiful Raptor Menu and Cairo-Dock

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > The KDE Raptor Menu - A quick overview
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Being a KDE lover myself, I'm always intrigued by some of the different
    > | features and software that come out for KDE. The latest is the Raptor
    > menu.
    > | It's certainly an interesting menu system and one that I think deserves
    > | closer attention.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=411

    Another linux joke. Stuff like this is why when most people try linux,
    everything crashes and they go back to Windows.

    Now before I go too far, it's my simply opinion and belief that the menu
    needs to mature a bit before you should consider using it. But that doesn't
    mean you shouldn't eventually use it though. And while it doesn't meet my
    tastes, that doesn't mean it won't meet yours.

    Since it's still in development I wouldn't recommend using it full time, as
    during my testing, if I did anything more than simply open the menu and
    scroll the icons, I got a segment fault. So it's still a bit shakey.

    About about you lintards concentrate on fewer apps that don't crash instead
    of a gazillion worthless steaming piles of ****e.

  3. Re: [News] Another Look at KDE4's Beautiful Raptor Menu and Cairo-Dock

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 11:23:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> The KDE Raptor Menu - A quick overview
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Being a KDE lover myself, I'm always intrigued by some of the different
    >>| features and software that come out for KDE. The latest is the Raptor
    >> menu.
    >>| It's certainly an interesting menu system and one that I think deserves
    >>| closer attention.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=411
    >>

    > Another linux joke. Stuff like this is why when most people try linux,
    > everything crashes and they go back to Windows.
    >

    > Now before I go too far, it's my simply opinion and belief that the menu
    > needs to mature a bit before you should consider using it. But that doesn't
    > mean you shouldn't eventually use it though. And while it doesn't meet my
    > tastes, that doesn't mean it won't meet yours.
    >
    > Since it's still in development I wouldn't recommend using it full time, as
    > during my testing, if I did anything more than simply open the menu and
    > scroll the icons, I got a segment fault. So it's still a bit shakey.
    >

    > About about you lintards concentrate on fewer apps that don't crash instead
    > of a gazillion worthless steaming piles of ****e.

    The problem with Linux is that it's always in development but never seems
    to get any better.
    In fact in some cases it's actually getting worse.

    All of this kernel freezing up that the Ubuntu groups are full of is one
    example.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Another Look at KDE4's Beautiful Raptor Menu and Cairo-Dock

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic