Miniature Linux PC targets military apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Mercury Computer Systems announced a Linux-based engineering development kit
| (EDK) for a 7-10 pound computer that targets small ground, naval, and air
| vehicles. The "ruggedized" PowerBlock 50 (pictured at left) supports multiple
| processors to provide "well over 100 GFLOPS of processing power," according
| to Mercury.
`----

Even the US military gradually moves to GNU/Linux at the moment.

Recent:

Navy to focus only on open systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "The days of proprietary technology must come to an end," [Vice Admiral Mark
| Edwards, deputy chief of naval operations for communications] said. "We will
| no longer accept systems that couple hardware, software and data." *
`----

http://www.fcw.com/online/news/151858-1.html

Related:

Lockheed Martin Purchased Over $1 Million of Concurrent's RedHawk Real-Time
Linux for U.S. Navy Next Generation Aegis Weapon System

,----[ Quote ]
| Concurrent's NightStar for RedHawk Linux is a powerful, integrated tool set
| for developing time-critical applications. NightStar tools run with minimal
| intrusion, *
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...90&newsLang=en

Concurrent to Supply Real-Time Linux Solution to the U.S. Navy for Missile
Simulator Development

,----[ Quote ]
| The simulator will be used to determine the effectiveness of Navy and Marine
| Corps aircraft countermeasure systems that protect the aircraft from hostile
| missiles. *
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9914.html

Navy CIO 'recognizes the importance of OSS to the warfighter'

,----[ Quote ]
| John Weathersby, executive director of the Open Source Software
| Institute, told Linux.com today that, effective immediately, the
| Department of the Navy has adopted a new policy which requires that
| open source software must be considered in every software
| acquisition the Navy makes.
`----

Raytheon Sails Into Battle With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Among its major capabilities, TSCEI 4.0 supports IBM blade server
| processors running the Red Hat Linux operating system. It is the first of
| four planned increments supporting DDG 1000 Release 4 software.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/L...tle_With_Linux

Linux helps Navy keep high-tech weapon system updated

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.manufacturing.net/ctl/article/CA6368771.html