[News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00 - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00 - Linux ; Puppy Linux 4 gets new bite ,----[ Quote ] | Its been been six months since Puppy Linux 3.01 was released and today Barry | Kauler announced Puppy 4.00, aka Dingo. Clocking in at a minimal 87MB | download, Puppy ...

  1. [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    Puppy Linux 4 gets new bite

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Its been been six months since Puppy Linux 3.01 was released and today Barry
    | Kauler announced Puppy 4.00, aka Dingo. Clocking in at a minimal 87MB
    | download, Puppy 4.00 is a lightweight desktop Linux alternative ideal for
    | low-end machines, or for users who want a little less clutter and more speed
    | from their desktop.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2398

    Recent:

    Puppeee: Puppy for your Eee PC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Asus Eee PC ultraportable comes bundled with a version of Xandros as its
    | operating system. If you would like to try a different Linux distro on your
    | Eee, there are plenty of options to choose from, including eeeXubuntu,
    | EeeDora, ZenEee, ¬*EeePCLinuxOS, and Puppeee. The latter is based on Puppy
    | Linux, a tiny Linux distribution that sports a few unique features that make
    | it a perfect candidate for use on machines like the Eee PC. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/131070

    Related:

    Flipping the Linux switch: Penguin on a (USB) stick

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ever wish you had your whole desktop on a flash disk? You know what we mean,
    | you take a spreadsheet up to your 'rents, and you realize that they have no
    | program to actually open your spreadsheet with. Or maybe you hop from
    | computer to computer in several offices, and hate the fact that every
    | computer you work on is just different enough to make it difficult to get
    | things done. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01...n-a-usb-stick/

    Puppy Linux 3.0.1 [Review]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Puppy is a nice compromise of tiny and feature-rich. If only it would install
    | properly on my test machine, I wouldn't have to dock it a penguin. As a
    | LiveCD it's not bad, but its small size shows. ¬*
    |
    | Much like similar micro-distros their very nature makes them hard for me to
    | use as a regular desktop, and Puppy is no exception. Although it has a few
    | more bells than Damn Small Linux, I still can't use it for anything other
    | than LiveCD recovery tasks. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/puppy301.htm

    Puppy Linux 3.01 Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Short of the issues I had with WPA, overall, the hardware detection was rock
    | solid, and I'm impressed. If you have never tried Puppy Linux, I would
    | encourage you to give it a go. You may even find that running it from a Live
    | CD or a USB drive is enough to best meet your needs. Because it is such a
    | light distro, all you really need is a persistent directory for settings
    | anyway. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...711&Itemid=449

    Puppy Linux grows bigger teeth

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even in the less than 100MB ISO, Puppy 3.00 packs an application for every
    | task -- from browsing the Internet and chatting to writing reports and
    | spreedsheets to watching and ripping DVDs, configuring network devices, and
    | monitoring firewalls. If you need still more, Puppy 3.00 can also install ¬*
    | every application available in Slackware 12's repository. These benefits more
    | than balance out the distro's minor quirks. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119848

    First look at Puppy Linux 3.00

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Otherwise, all the applications and the system as a whole offered good
    | performance and stable operation. It could be a wonderful start, especially
    | for anyone wishing to be a little different, someone needing to save space
    | and resources, or those requiring a portable solution. It'd be really great
    | on a desktop with minimal input, and could be useful on a laptop with a bit
    | more. It may not be the prettiest at the party, but it has a great
    | personality. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071008#review

    An in-depth look at Puppy Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've discussed the features of Puppy Linux in this article to show its
    | potential uses. But I've left out one vital fact -- Puppy Linux is just plain
    | fun. The friendly interface, easy-to-use wizards and bundled how-to's are
    | part of this appeal, but it goes beyond this, into how easily you can tailor
    | or even remaster the system. Puppy is an engaging system that comes with the
    | opportunity to participate in a vibrant user community. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7455536044.html

    Taking Puppy Linux for a Walk

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The two main uses for Puppy Linux (or any Linux live CD) are to:
    |
    | ¬* ¬* * Rescue files from the host PC's hosed hard drive or perform various
    | ¬* ¬* maintenance tasks (like imaging that drive)
    | ¬* ¬* * Compute on a machine without leaving a trace‚ÄĒlike browser history,
    | ¬* ¬* cookies, documents or any other files‚ÄĒbehind on the internal hard drive
    `----

    http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-...alk-307542.php

    Puppy 3.00 runs on the $0 Laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's nice to put in a CD, boot in a couple of minutes and have the Puppy
    | environment I love right there for me. Abiword, Geany, Seamonkey, Pidgin,
    | ROX-Filer, MtPaint. Every one works great and loads quickly. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.insidesocal.com/click/200..._0_laptop.html

    Puppy Linux 3.00 released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The new version Puppy Linux is released. Puppy is a distribution for low end
    | PCs, designed to run from media like usb sticks. It's size is less than 100
    | MB. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.pramnos.com/story69-2322.html

    ReviewLinux.Com: Puppy Meet My USB Key

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Puppy Linux is a great Linux distribution to place on a USB key. It's easy
    | installation instructions make it a breeze to install. From boot up to
    | installation on your key in under 10 minutes. It's just that fast. Puppy
    | Linux 3.0 was released October 2 2007 and I thought I would give a small tour
    | on walking your puppy to the key. Enjoy! ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7424

  2. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Puppy Linux 4 gets new bite
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Its been been six months since Puppy Linux 3.01 was released and today
    > Barry
    > | Kauler announced Puppy 4.00, aka Dingo. Clocking in at a minimal 87MB
    > | download, Puppy 4.00 is a lightweight desktop Linux alternative ideal
    > for
    > | low-end machines, or for users who want a little less clutter and more
    > speed
    > | from their desktop.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2398

    Great. Just what the linux world needs.... yet another incompatible "package
    manager."

    Puppy uses its own package management system call PETget. In this release
    the graphical interface for PETget has been completely overhauled for easier
    use.

  3. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel Flat Fish wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > Great. Just what the linux world needs.... yet another incompatible
    > "package manager."

    Doh!

    Incompatible to what oh you eminently sackable WINDUMMY?

    WINDUMMIES ARE NOT EDUCATED ON LINUX AND COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY

    Is that you Ezekiel flat fart?

  4. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    7 writes:

    > Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel Flat Fish wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
    > Micoshaft Corporation:
    >

    >> Great. Just what the linux world needs.... yet another incompatible
    >> "package manager."

    > Doh!
    >
    > Incompatible to what oh you eminently sackable WINDUMMY?

    Incompatible to the other 500 "lets redesign the wheel" installers you
    moron. Do you not see what a waste of effort this is?

    Settle on ONE installer for f*cks sake. Maybe 2. But spending time
    revamping the UI for another minority system where all the dependencies
    have to be redone?

    Hint: for ages the Ubuntu crowd gave "how tos" with "apt-get". Now the
    word on the street is that "aptitude" is the way to go.

    Go figure.

    But why? Oh yes! The guys who write aptitude worked out a better
    dependency algorithm!

    Doh!

    Lunacy.

  5. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 05:45:47 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> 7 writes:
    >>
    >>> Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel Flat Fish wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
    >>> Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> Doh!
    >>>
    >>> Incompatible to what oh you eminently sackable WINDUMMY?
    >>>

    >> Incompatible to the other 500 "lets redesign the wheel" installers you
    >> moron. Do you not see what a waste of effort this is?
    >>
    >> Settle on ONE installer for f*cks sake. Maybe 2. But spending time
    >> revamping the UI for another minority system where all the dependencies
    >> have to be redone?
    >>
    >> Hint: for ages the Ubuntu crowd gave "how tos" with "apt-get". Now the
    >> word on the street is that "aptitude" is the way to go.
    >>
    >> Go figure.
    >>
    >> But why? Oh yes! The guys who write aptitude worked out a better
    >> dependency algorithm!
    >>
    >> Doh!
    >>
    >> Lunacy.

    > It's all about choice!!!
    >
    > The problem with Linux is that the choices, all 500+ of them, mostly suck.

    .... which explains why you use Linux and OSS.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 05:45:47 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > 7 writes:
    >
    >> Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel Flat Fish wrote on behalf of Half Wits from
    >> Micoshaft Corporation:
    >>

    >>> Great. Just what the linux world needs.... yet another incompatible
    >>> "package manager."

    >> Doh!
    >>
    >> Incompatible to what oh you eminently sackable WINDUMMY?
    >>

    > Incompatible to the other 500 "lets redesign the wheel" installers you
    > moron. Do you not see what a waste of effort this is?
    >
    > Settle on ONE installer for f*cks sake. Maybe 2. But spending time
    > revamping the UI for another minority system where all the dependencies
    > have to be redone?
    >
    > Hint: for ages the Ubuntu crowd gave "how tos" with "apt-get". Now the
    > word on the street is that "aptitude" is the way to go.
    >
    > Go figure.
    >
    > But why? Oh yes! The guys who write aptitude worked out a better
    > dependency algorithm!
    >
    > Doh!
    >
    > Lunacy.

    It's all about choice!!!

    The problem with Linux is that the choices, all 500+ of them, mostly suck.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  9. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    Hadron wrote:

    > Oh they had their reasons alright. Same as you have reasons for being an
    > ignorant **** up. It doesn't mean it's a good idea though. Its another
    > vanity development.

    And why does this bother you so, fool? Why do you obsess over the number of
    Linux distros? Why do you agonize over and over about it? Why do you even
    care?

    The popular distros are the ones the disgruntled Windows user will gravitate
    to. The lesser ones, with their "vanity developments" galore, will remain
    niche distros. WHO CARES?

    Do you think the guy who makes Puppy gives a hoot his distro will never be
    #1 on distrowatch.com?

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....There are no answers, only cross-references.

    Good to the last supper

  10. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tattoo Vampire

    wrote
    on Wed, 7 May 2008 18:54:13 -0400
    :
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Oh they had their reasons alright. Same as you have reasons for being an
    >> ignorant **** up. It doesn't mean it's a good idea though. Its another
    >> vanity development.

    > And why does this bother you so, fool? Why do you obsess over the number of
    > Linux distros? Why do you agonize over and over about it? Why do you even
    > care?

    Because it's confusing him. Obviously, we need to cut down the number
    of distros *he* sees.... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  11. Re: [News] Details Emerge About the New Puppy Linux 4.00

    > Quack snotted:
    >
    >> Oh they had their reasons alright. Same as you have reasons for being an
    >> ignorant **** up.

    Stop lying, you fscking asshole. There is zero chance that their reasons
    are similar, at all, to my reasons for being what (you think) I am.

    >> It doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

    So what, "true Linux advocate" Hadron Quack? If it's not a good idea, it
    will likely fade-away as not being worth the effort. If it is a good
    idea, the world will benefit. Even if it fails, others may learn
    something from the experiment, or re-use the code to make something better.

    >> Its another vanity development.

    You don't know that, you lying, snotty POS. It's FAR more likely that
    they have valid technical reasons for doing what they did. They think
    they can make an improvement somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread