Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > AMD now has 'more than allegations' against Intel If Intel were to ever become the only CPU manufacturer, I think I might actually want to stop using computers ever ...

  1. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    > AMD now has 'more than allegations' against Intel

    If Intel were to ever become the only CPU manufacturer, I think I might
    actually want to stop using computers ever again. Seriously. I'd rather
    revert to stone tablets and abacuses than support the Intel gangsters.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    11:31:32 up 137 days, 8:07, 6 users, load average: 0.16, 0.11, 0.09

  2. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:31 : \____

    >> AMD now has 'more than allegations' against Intel

    > If Intel were to ever become the only CPU manufacturer, I think I might
    > actually want to stop using computers ever again. Seriously. I'd rather
    > revert to stone tablets and abacuses than support the Intel gangsters.

    Stallman says he doesn't use cellphones because they are proprietary, IIRC. He
    was/is going to dump the Thinkpad for an OLPC for similar reasons.

    Freedom != convenience.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Community is code, code is community
    run-level 2 2008-04-15 01:48 last=

  3. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    > ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:31 : \____

    >>> AMD now has 'more than allegations' against Intel

    >> If Intel were to ever become the only CPU manufacturer, I think I might
    >> actually want to stop using computers ever again. Seriously. I'd rather
    >> revert to stone tablets and abacuses than support the Intel gangsters.

    > Stallman says he doesn't use cellphones because they are proprietary, IIRC. He
    > was/is going to dump the Thinkpad for an OLPC for similar reasons.

    Anybody can get along without a cell phone. A large number of people
    do. People /can/ get along without computers, too, although smaller
    numbers of people are willing to do so.

    > Freedom != convenience.

    Funny that he wasn't willing to be inconvenienced by doing without a
    computer when there weren't any that were not proprietary. I'm betting
    he'll use his newfound "freedom" from proprietary hardware to get even
    more preachy against hardware manufacturers.

    --
    VISTA: Virtually Incapable of Supporting The Applications

  4. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Tuesday 06 May 2008 13:25 : \____

    > On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >> ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:31 : \____

    >>> If Intel were to ever become the only CPU manufacturer, I think I might
    >>> actually want to stop using computers ever again. Seriously. I'd rather
    >>> revert to stone tablets and abacuses than support the Intel gangsters.

    >> Stallman says he doesn't use cellphones because they are proprietary, IIRC.
    >> He was/is going to dump the Thinkpad for an OLPC for similar reasons.

    > Anybody can get along without a cell phone. A large number of people
    > do. People /can/ get along without computers, too, although smaller
    > numbers of people are willing to do so.

    I got rid of cellphones many years ago. It was just taking up space. :-) I
    hardly even use my PDA nowadays.

    >> Freedom != convenience.

    > Funny that he wasn't willing to be inconvenienced by doing without a
    > computer when there weren't any that were not proprietary. I'm betting
    > he'll use his newfound "freedom" from proprietary hardware to get even
    > more preachy against hardware manufacturers.

    OpenBSD already does that.

    OpenBSD founder: Intel leaves open-source out in the cold

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3...62737160269475

    Intel: Only "Open" for Business

    http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...&mode=expanded

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Here be hills, there be dragons!
    Tasks: 121 total, 2 running, 119 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 07:25:36 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >> ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:31 : \____

    >> Stallman says he doesn't use cellphones because they are proprietary, IIRC. He
    >> was/is going to dump the Thinkpad for an OLPC for similar reasons.

    > Anybody can get along without a cell phone. A large number of people
    > do. People /can/ get along without computers, too, although smaller
    > numbers of people are willing to do so.

    Linux is all about doing without.
    Doing without proper Laptop power management.
    Doing without proper multimedia.
    Doing without a proper Office Suite.
    Doing without proper web browser plugins.
    Doing without.....that's the Linux way.

    So is Stallman going to do without a flush toilet because Kohler won't
    reveal their preparatory secrets for toilet bowl manufacturing?

    The OSS/Linux movement is pure idiocy.

    >> Freedom != convenience.

    .....and in the realm of Linux it != quality either.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  7. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Tue, 6 May 2008 11:42:13 -0400
    <544kc3gi6cp7$.qnlti9m816bd$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 6 May 2008 07:25:36 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>> ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:31 : \____

    >>> Stallman says he doesn't use cellphones because they are proprietary, IIRC. He
    >>> was/is going to dump the Thinkpad for an OLPC for similar reasons.

    >> Anybody can get along without a cell phone. A large number of people
    >> do. People /can/ get along without computers, too, although smaller
    >> numbers of people are willing to do so.

    > Linux is all about doing without.
    > Doing without proper Laptop power management.
    > Doing without proper multimedia.
    > Doing without a proper Office Suite.
    > Doing without proper web browser plugins.
    > Doing without.....that's the Linux way.

    Depends on what you mean by "Linux". Did you mean:

    [1] Kernel only? Indeed, Linux does without even a shell
    a library, an SDK, or /sbin/init; one needs three of the
    four to boot (the SDK is of course optional but highly
    recommended, along with a compiler/linker package).
    And of course booting does not include starting up an X
    server in this case.

    [2] Kernel + GUI? You'll have to be more specific; my
    main problem with laptop power at the moment is that I
    have more important issues, but a combination of tuxonice
    and Gentoo hibernate will eventually fix things, AFAICT
    -- if I need them, which I generally don't as the laptop
    usually runs off AC power.

    As for multimedia, define "proper multimedia".
    The only thing I cannot play is Shockwave-based games
    and Silverlight stuff. The former is being phased out;
    the latter, I don't know.

    I don't use Office Suites, as a rule.

    I am curious as to what a "proper web browser plugin" is. Did you mean:

    [A] ActiveX?
    [B] Mozilla Firefox?
    [C] Some sort of standardized plugin?

    [C] would be far preferable but I'm not aware of any
    standardization in that area yet. [A], of course, is the
    standard default.

    > So is Stallman going to do without a flush toilet
    > because Kohler won't reveal their preparatory secrets
    > for toilet bowl manufacturing?

    You'd have to ask him.

    > The OSS/Linux movement is pure idiocy.

    That it is, in some respects. The flip side, of course,
    is a reprisal of the Word95->97 fiasco. But never mind that;
    everyone needs to upgrade, right?

    >>> Freedom != convenience.

    > ....and in the realm of Linux it != quality either.

    Perhaps you'd like to enumerate the bugs? That way, someone out there
    might fix 'em.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
    std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}

  8. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    >>> Linux is all about doing without.

    >>> Doing without proper Laptop power management.

    >>> Doing without proper multimedia.

    >>> Doing without a proper Office Suite.

    >>> Doing without proper web browser plugins.

    >>> Doing without.....that's the Linux way.

    I think even the casual Googler stumbling across "Moshe's" spewings
    would realize he's just full of crap.

    But thanks for rebutting his bool**** anyway, Homey!

    --
    "Microsoft has had competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    museums to document this stuff."

  9. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > Reason? Who needs reason when one has Microsoft Windows Vista? ;-)
    > It'll do everything for you, especially with the Swinging Watch
    > Plugin(tm)...

    That must be a new one. Up to now the Vole has used the "Hypnotic Spiral
    Plugin" (©1995 Sweaty The Impaler):

    http://media.slated.org/albums/content/image/spiral.gif

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:04:06 up 137 days, 20:39, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.03

  10. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    > I think even the casual Googler stumbling across "Moshe's" spewings
    > would realize he's just full of crap.
    >
    > But thanks for rebutting his bool**** anyway, Homey!

    I know I'm wasting my (metaphorical) breath, but thanks anyway. Flatty
    and DooFuS will keep chanting the Big Lie® regardless, since they have
    both disconnected their tiny minds from their eyes/mouths/fingers; are
    cruising along on autopilot; and guided by "Sweaty the Fat Controller"
    in the Tower. The fact that their Big Lie® has been disproved time and
    again means nothing to them. The Vole's agenda is to flood COLA with a
    torrent of FUD, since monopoly by destruction is the only way they can
    compete with anybody. They certainly can not compete on the "merit" of
    their products, that's for sure ... as they well know.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:27:03 up 137 days, 21:02, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.10, 0.08

  11. Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Wed, 07 May 2008 00:04:20 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >
    >> Reason? Who needs reason when one has Microsoft Windows Vista? ;-)
    >> It'll do everything for you, especially with the Swinging Watch
    >> Plugin(tm)...

    > That must be a new one. Up to now the Vole has used the "Hypnotic Spiral
    > Plugin" (1995 Sweaty The Impaler):
    >
    > http://media.slated.org/albums/content/image/spiral.gif

    Heh. I'm trying *not* to stare at that... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!