Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook - Linux

This is a discussion on Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook - Linux ; Windows crushing Linus on every fronts: http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9082558...

  1. Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook

    Windows crushing Linus on every fronts:
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9082558

  2. Re: Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook

    OK wrote:

    > Windows crushing Linus on every fronts:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9082558

    And this has what to do with Linux?

    A totally pointless posting by OK.

  3. Re: Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook

    SomeBloke writes:

    > OK wrote:
    >
    >> Windows crushing Linus on every fronts:
    >>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9082558
    >
    > And this has what to do with Linux?
    >
    > A totally pointless posting by OK.

    It has everything to do with Linux. Linux traditionally has good solid
    hard core toolsets. OK, most of the IDEs are half arsed and incomplete
    with no rational design or aim, but generally the core tools are
    good. This article further pushes Linux back as the OSS tools and IDEs
    become more and more marginal as MS and other commercial SW developers
    improve their proprietary tools to make web development easier.

    Quite straightforward really.

  4. Re: Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook

    Hadron wrote:

    > SomeBloke writes:
    >
    >> OK wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows crushing Linus on every fronts:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9082558

    >> And this has what to do with Linux?
    >>
    >> A totally pointless posting by OK.

    > It has everything to do with Linux. Linux traditionally has good solid
    > hard core toolsets. OK, most of the IDEs are half arsed and incomplete
    > with no rational design or aim, but generally the core tools are
    > good. This article further pushes Linux back as the OSS tools and IDEs
    > become more and more marginal as MS and other commercial SW developers
    > improve their proprietary tools to make web development easier.
    >
    > Quite straightforward really.

    Unfortunately, I think that the OP didn't have that in mind when he made the
    posting. He didn't appear to think very much about anything apart from
    Linux bashing.

    As for the tools, who knows what is just around the corner. The tools
    available now don't appear that capable, and the Evans data report places
    Google and Microsofts MSN/Live programme within 3 percentage points of each
    other for company's making 'significant' profits from their respective
    tools and API's. There was no clarification of what 'significant' is.

    If the infrastructure is not available for the consumer to take advantage of
    these technologies what is the point?

    Most of the ISP's in the UK think that the web will effectively grind to a
    halt in this country under the weight of streaming music and video unless
    the backbone is upgraded fairly soon. Where I live most people think
    themselves lucky if they can get a 2Mbit connection. In my village at least
    a quarter of households cannot have a DSL connection at all because BT have
    installed a line concentrator in the local exchange and they don't seem in
    too much of a hurry to change it without a substantial cash incentive.

  5. Re: Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook

    SomeBloke writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> SomeBloke writes:

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9082558
    >>>
    >>> And this has what to do with Linux?
    >>>
    >>> A totally pointless posting by OK.

    >> It has everything to do with Linux. Linux traditionally has good solid
    >> hard core toolsets. OK, most of the IDEs are half arsed and incomplete
    >> with no rational design or aim, but generally the core tools are
    >> good. This article further pushes Linux back as the OSS tools and IDEs
    >> become more and more marginal as MS and other commercial SW developers
    >> improve their proprietary tools to make web development easier.
    >>
    >> Quite straightforward really.

    > Unfortunately, I think that the OP didn't have that in mind when he made the
    > posting. He didn't appear to think very much about anything apart from
    > Linux bashing.
    >
    > As for the tools, who knows what is just around the corner. The tools
    > available now don't appear that capable, and the Evans data report places
    > Google and Microsofts MSN/Live programme within 3 percentage points of each
    > other for company's making 'significant' profits from their respective
    > tools and API's. There was no clarification of what 'significant' is.
    >
    > If the infrastructure is not available for the consumer to take advantage of
    > these technologies what is the point?
    >
    > Most of the ISP's in the UK think that the web will effectively grind to a
    > halt in this country under the weight of streaming music and video unless
    > the backbone is upgraded fairly soon. Where I live most people think
    > themselves lucky if they can get a 2Mbit connection. In my village at least
    > a quarter of households cannot have a DSL connection at all because BT have
    > installed a line concentrator in the local exchange and they don't seem in
    > too much of a hurry to change it without a substantial cash
    > incentive.

    Yes all well and good but nothing to do with the voting for the tools
    and libraries available.

  6. Re: Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook

    OK wrote:

    > Windows crushing Linus on every fronts:

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9082558

    In my personal experience, the Web 2 development was done using Java
    frameworks. This can and is most commonly hosted on Linux or Unix servers.

    Interestingly enough, the report to which this article refers is no longer
    available. This is shades of "Get the Facts".

    Ian

  7. Re: Web 2.0 developers rank Windows Live higher than Google, Yahoo and Facebook

    Nobody ranks Windows Live.

+ Reply to Thread