[News] Free Software: 1 - Anti-Freedom Paid-for Laws: 0 - Linux

  1. [News] Free Software: 1 - Anti-Freedom Paid-for Laws: 0

    CoreCodec apologizes for wrongful Google DMCA takedown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | CoreCodec, the company behind the high-performance CoreAVC H.264
    | implementation, issued an apology this morning for its recent abuse of the
    | Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), a law that broadly prohibits
    | circumvention of copy-protection mechanisms.
    |
    | In a DMCA takedown notice sent to Google over the weekend, CoreCodec demanded
    | that the company cease hosting coreavc-for-linux, an open source project that
    | provided a Linux compatibility layer for the CoreAVC codec. The DMCA notice
    | claimed that the open-source project infringes CoreCodec's copyright and
    | includes CoreAVC code. Although Google complied with the notice and removed
    | the project, the allegations made by CoreCodec were entirely without merit.
    | The coreavc-for-linux project contains no infringing code and is merely a
    | compatibility wrapper that enables legitimately purchased copies of CoreAVC
    | to be used by Linux users.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-takedown.html
    http://tinyurl.com/3jftmo

    Microsoft plays an active role in passing these anti-FOSS laws around the world
    (recent example below).

    Recent:

    Microsoft Misleads on Copyright Reform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Hill Times this week includes an astonishingly misleading and factually
    | incorrect article on Canadian copyright written by Microsoft. *
    `----

    http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2670/125/

    Canadian DMCA On Hold?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rumours tonight indicate that the government has again decided to delay
    | introducing the Canadian DMCA. With the House of Commons off next week and
    | the budget coming the following week, if this is true it would appear that
    | there will be no copyright legislation for at least another month (assuming
    | there is no election).
    `----

    http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2694/125/

    Related:

    CD copying OK, DRM circumvention not OK

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Circumventing DRM to make copies for personal use will remain illegal for
    | consumers, under copyright reform proposals floated by the UK government
    | today....Copyright law should also recognise that consumers can legitimately
    | make copies of copyright material they've already bought, the government
    | proposes. * *
    |
    | Speaking at the launch today, Lord Triesman said it made no sense to prevent
    | someone making a playlist for use in the car from material they had
    | legitimately purchased. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...yright_reform/

    Microsoft: We Like DRM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
    | tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
    | in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
    | are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zun...rtner=yahootix
    http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

    Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

    http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/0...oft-apple-drm/

    DRM – a big win for Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently I came to conclusion that Microsoft is the company, which profits
    | most from the Digital Rights Management.
    | I don't know the numbers, but I guess that DRM is little or no success for
    | the recording industry. To say it stopped pirating films and music would be a *
    | joke.
    | Microsoft people must have known that the protection would be broken very
    | soon. So why they are implementing it after all?
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2008/1/2/32809

  2. Re: [News] Free Software: 1 - Anti-Freedom Paid-for Laws: 0

    > CoreCodec apologizes for wrongful Google DMCA takedown

    This shoot first; ask questions later style of "justice" is sickening.
    The DMCA really is a law made by thugs, for thugs.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    11:47:38 up 137 days, 8:23, 6 users, load average: 0.30, 0.47, 0.32

+ Reply to Thread