[News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again

    - From Win32 to Cocoa, Part II

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In part one, Bright heavily criticised the Win32 API, saying it was filled
    | with legacy stuff and hindered by 15 year old design decisions. In part two
    | he explains that as an answer to the complaints, Microsoft introduced
    | the .Net framework, which was supposed to replace the Win32 API as the API of
    | choice for Windows; in fact, the next release of Windows, Longhorn, would
    | make heavy use of .Net. "It could have provided salvation," Bright writes.
    |
    | But it didn't. According to Bright, .Net was fine technically, with a "sound"
    | virtual machine, "reasonable" performance, and an "adequate" language (C#),
    | but the library - "used for such diverse tasks as writing files, reading data
    | from databases, sending information over a network, parsing XML, or creating
    | a GUI" - the library is "extremely bad". Bright explains that this is due to
    | the target audience of .Net.
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story/19714

    Java is GPL now. What can Microsoft do other than exploit Novell and de Icaza?

    Recent:

    How The GPL Can Save Your Ass

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you are the multi-billion dollar IT industry you stick you head in the
    | sand and just keep making cars. It is after all, not your problem. That seems
    | to be the attitude of almost every company with a vested interest in the
    | computing market. There was a recent announcement indicating Intel and
    | Microsoft have put up $10 million to fund research in parallel software. Hah!
    | I'm going to laugh harder this time HAH, HAH! Ever here the phase pissing in
    | the ocean, well this is more like throwing a match into the sun. We need
    | more -- much more. * * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Second, the entire in industry must co-operate and be involved. We need
    | everyone working on this problem. The best minds in high performance
    | computing have been at it for quite a while and it is time to turn up the
    | volume. Fantasies of telling your R&D guys to get on it are not enough.
    | Trying to corral your Intellectual Property (IP) with trade secrets and
    | patents is wishful thinking. The rocket scientists (and plenty of other smart
    | people) have been working on this issue for a long time. You don't have the
    | time to waste trying to expand your IP fiefdom. Instead start thinking about
    | what happens when the next generation of products is of absolutely no
    | interest to your customers. * * * *
    |
    | Third we need to respond quickly. There is no time for IP agreements,
    | posturing, and NIH ego trips (Not Invented Here). We need leaders to
    | recognize the scope and magnitude of this challenge and act. Before too long,
    | it will not be unreasonable to have four or even eight cores in a desktop. A
    | workstation or server may have double this amount. It would sure be nice if
    | my software could effectively use all these cores. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Using the GPL will immediately remove issues that would normally choke such
    | an important undertaking. First, the any IP barriers get pushed aside and
    | everyone can cooperate openly *
    `----

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/5379

    2006:

    TIOBE Programming Community Index for November 2006

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Java 20.400%
    | C 17.198%
    | C++ 11.055%
    | (Visual) Basic 9.470%
    | PHP 9.209%
    | Perl 6.228%
    | Python 3.641%
    | C# 3.023%
    | JavaScript 2.310%
    | Delphi 2.252%
    | SAS 2.210%
    | Ruby 1.717%
    | PL/SQL 1.223%
    | D 0.684%
    | ABAP 0.637%
    | Lisp/Scheme 0.586%
    | COBOL 0.564%
    | Ada 0.546%
    | Pascal 0.516%
    | Visual FoxPro 0.431%
    `----

    http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again

    > - From Win32 to Cocoa, Part II

    And this is the main problem with .Net, he states. It's too "dumbed
    down", making it frustrating to use for the type 3 programmers.

    There are other problems too, such as the name of the system folder. It
    was called system in 16bit Windows, system32 in 32bit Windows, and,
    well, system32 in 64bit Windows, because many programmers had hard-coded
    the system32 directory instead of using the specific API call to
    determine the correct system directory.
    And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Windows code. It's a
    shining beacon of putrid legacy slop. It seems that .Net continues this
    time-honoured tradition. Big surprise.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    11:43:26 up 137 days, 8:19, 6 users, load average: 0.03, 0.18, 0.18

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again

    ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:43 : \____

    >> - From Win32 to Cocoa, Part II

    > And this is the main problem with .Net, he states. It's too "dumbed
    > down", making it frustrating to use for the type 3 programmers.

    > There are other problems too, such as the name of the system folder. It
    > was called system in 16bit Windows, system32 in 32bit Windows, and,
    > well, system32 in 64bit Windows, because many programmers had hard-coded
    > the system32 directory instead of using the specific API call to
    > determine the correct system directory.
    >

    > And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Windows code. It's a
    > shining beacon of putrid legacy slop. It seems that .Net continues this
    > time-honoured tradition. Big surprise.

    Cue Miguel jumping to Microsoft's defence...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "These characters were randomly picked"

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again

    > ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:43 : \____

    >>> - From Win32 to Cocoa, Part II

    >> And this is the main problem with .Net, he states. It's too "dumbed
    >> down", making it frustrating to use for the type 3 programmers.
    >>

    >> And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Windows code. It's a
    >> shining beacon of putrid legacy slop. It seems that .Net continues this
    >> time-honoured tradition. Big surprise.

    > Cue Miguel jumping to Microsoft's defence...

    Microsoft has had good opportunities to do something about this, but
    they have been systematically squandered through a combination of
    ineptitude, mismanagement, and slavish adherence to backwards
    compatibility. The disillusionment I feel is incredible. I enjoy
    writing programs, but I don't enjoy writing for Windows. And while
    once it made sense to stick with Windows, it just doesn't any more.
    There's now an attractive alternative: Mac OS X.

    UNIX, of course.

    On the other hand, can you argue with Microsoft's logic?:

    --
    Bill Gates is a very rich man today ... and do you want to know why? The answer
    is one word: versions.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again

    "Homer" wrote in message

    > And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Windows code. It's a
    > shining beacon of putrid legacy slop. It seems that .Net continues this
    > time-honoured tradition. Big surprise.

    You betchum, Red Ryder! I realize that it is intellectually more
    stimulating for you geniuses to knock Mr. Softee's achievements and such
    rather than acknowledging the reality of the situation, but why not try
    hopping on the bandwagon and see what could be in store for your talents?
    The reality is that Windows is not going to ever go away and it will always
    be the major platform for the personal computer. Instead of cursing the
    darkness as you are wont to do, why not try lighting a candle? Surely the
    innocents who have been slavishly purchasing MS OS platfoms for the past 25
    years or more deserve some relief that your superior intellect could
    provide!

    If you worked on fixing problems in Windows with alternate add-ons or
    replacement features, you would gain a much wide degree of adoption and also
    be much more appreciated than you are today with your parochial and almost
    cultist behavior.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again

    ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 06 May 2008 14:56 : \____

    >> ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:43 : \____

    >>> And this is the main problem with .Net, he states. It's too "dumbed
    >>> down", making it frustrating to use for the type 3 programmers.
    >>>

    >>> And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Windows code. It's a
    >>> shining beacon of putrid legacy slop. It seems that .Net continues this
    >>> time-honoured tradition. Big surprise.

    >> Cue Miguel jumping to Microsoft's defence...

    > Microsoft has had good opportunities to do something about this, but
    > they have been systematically squandered through a combination of
    > ineptitude, mismanagement, and slavish adherence to backwards
    > compatibility. The disillusionment I feel is incredible. I enjoy
    > writing programs, but I don't enjoy writing for Windows. And while
    > once it made sense to stick with Windows, it just doesn't any more.
    > There's now an attractive alternative: Mac OS X.
    >
    > UNIX, of course.
    >
    > On the other hand, can you argue with Microsoft's logic?:

    Ask AMD and NVIDIA about developing for DRM (Vista).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else