OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux." - Linux

This is a discussion on OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux." - Linux ; http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221 Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top of Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most ...

  1. OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221

    Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top of
    Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in
    discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of their
    Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux.

  2. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >> WINDUMMY PIRATES CAN'T SETUP THEIR NEW COMPUTERS BY USING SIMPLE COPY.

    > Actually, they can -- just not legally. I'd have to look
    > at the EULA, though, and the law.

    The days of simple file copy and being able to boot are long gone.
    There are too many anti-piracy checks that will crash the copy
    unlike Linux which is just so happy to boot up copies.

    >> LINUX USERS CAN COPY WITHOUT PIRATING.

    > Indeed.

  3. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systemsare probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 17:37:41 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221
    >

    > Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top
    > of Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact,
    > in discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of
    > their Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not
    > Linux.

    Yeah - they never were very bright.

  4. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221
    >

    > Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top of
    > Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in
    > discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of their
    > Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux.

    Rob Enderle has long since shown that he is a mouthpiece for his masters in
    Redmond. As such, everything he writes needs to be taken with a pinch of
    salt.

    Ian

  5. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systemsare probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221
    >

    > Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top of
    > Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in
    > discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of their
    > Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux.

    So what you're saying is that M$'s flagship anti piracy effort WGA
    doesn't work?

  6. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    On 2008-05-05, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221
    >

    > Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top of
    > Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in
    > discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of their
    > Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux.

    So? This just proves that OEMs are stupid.

    Why bother with futzting around with a non-customized Windows installer
    that's going to make a Linux install look like a walk in the park? Just get
    a dirt cheap Dell and get it with an OS recovery disk.

    Que cliches about time not being free and such.

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  7. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:07:28 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221
    >>

    >> Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top of
    >> Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in
    >> discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of their
    >> Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux.
    >>

    > So what you're saying is that M$'s flagship anti piracy effort WGA
    > doesn't work?

    I don't think that is a secret.
    Pirated/cracked versions of XP were on the bots hours before Microsoft
    released the shrink wrap.
    It was a total embarrassment.

    Anti-piracy methods don't work, they never have and until infallible
    biometric schemes are perfected, chances are they never will.

    All these things do is add to the cost of the software and potentially
    inconvenience the honest user.

    It's one of the topics I agree with the Linux advocates on.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  9. Re: OEM's convinced - "most of their Linux-based (sales) systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux."

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 06 May 2008 11:07:28 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221
    >>>

    >>> Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top
    >>> of
    >>> Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in
    >>> discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of their
    >>> Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux.
    >>>

    >> So what you're saying is that M$'s flagship anti piracy effort WGA
    >> doesn't work?

    > I don't think that is a secret.
    > Pirated/cracked versions of XP were on the bots hours before Microsoft
    > released the shrink wrap.
    > It was a total embarrassment.
    >
    > Anti-piracy methods don't work, they never have and until infallible
    > biometric schemes are perfected, chances are they never will.
    >
    > All these things do is add to the cost of the software and potentially
    > inconvenience the honest user.
    >
    > It's one of the topics I agree with the Linux advocates on.

    Anti-piracy methods don't have to be perfect in order to work. Microsoft WGA
    isn't trying to keep people out of the secret CIA databank - it doesn't have
    to be 100% perfect in order to be effective. All that anti-piracy has to do
    is make it inconvenient for people to copy software and it's done it's job.
    There will always be someone, somewhere who can break it. No big deal. As
    long as it keeps some/most/a-lot of people honest then it's better than
    nothing.

    Look at DVD's for example. It's not exactly rocket science to
    rip/reauthor/burn a copy of a DVD. It can be done and anyone that really
    wants to do it can copy a DVD. But it's difficult and inconvenient enough
    where most people won't bother.