NEWS - Experts say: "Linux is never going to become mainstream." - Linux

This is a discussion on NEWS - Experts say: "Linux is never going to become mainstream." - Linux ; http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2040974,00.htm Linux is ready, but consumers are not By Victoria Ho, ZDNet Asia Monday, May 05, 2008 05:11 PM Alongside Red Hat and Novell's recent pulling away from the consumer Linux space, some are not confident the operating system (OS) ...

  1. NEWS - Experts say: "Linux is never going to become mainstream."

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2040974,00.htm

    Linux is ready, but consumers are not
    By Victoria Ho, ZDNet Asia
    Monday, May 05, 2008 05:11 PM

    Alongside Red Hat and Novell's recent pulling away from the consumer Linux
    space, some are not confident the operating system (OS) will be ready for
    the mainstream market anytime soon.

    When ZDNet Asia asked Dell what its sales figures were for Linux-based PCs
    in Asia, the vendor reserved comment, but added: "Currently, Linux-based PCs
    still form a small proportion of our shipment in this region."

    Haff adds: "Although there are some high profile exceptions, desktop Linux
    wins mostly happen because [the OS is] a cheap alternative to Windows (and
    OS X)."

    "Is Linux ready for the desktop? Yes. It works for most means, but I don't
    think users want a brand new way of interacting with their computers," said
    Sng in an interview with ZDNet Asia.

    Moreover, Sng feels there are areas Linux still lacks support for the
    mainstream user.

    "Hardware support is still a big issue, especially for laptops. Second,
    media codec support. There are so many closed formats that Linux has to jump
    through hoops to support, legally or otherwise.

  2. Re: NEWS - Experts say: Windopws is unsecurable

    Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
    Corporation:

  3. Re: NEWS - Experts say: Windopws is unsecurable

    Micoshaft Fraudster Ezekiel wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
    Corporation:

    ARE WINDUMMIES THE RETARDS EMPLOYED IN YOUR ORGANISATION TO LOOK AFTER
    COMPUTERS AND SECURITY?

    Experts have warned windopws is unsecurable.

    WINDUMMIES may claim otherwise, but experts are more informed.

    Stop purchasing windopws with up front purchasing policy
    that address also the back door issues and shift everything to Linux.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  4. Re: NEWS - Experts say: "Linux is never going to become mainstream."

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2040974,00.htm
    >

    > Linux is ready, but consumers are not
    > By Victoria Ho, ZDNet Asia
    > Monday, May 05, 2008 05:11 PM
    >
    > Alongside Red Hat and Novell's recent pulling away from the consumer Linux
    > space, some are not confident the operating system (OS) will be ready for
    > the mainstream market anytime soon.
    >
    > When ZDNet Asia asked Dell what its sales figures were for Linux-based PCs
    > in Asia, the vendor reserved comment, but added: "Currently, Linux-based PCs
    > still form a small proportion of our shipment in this region."
    >
    > Haff adds: "Although there are some high profile exceptions, desktop Linux
    > wins mostly happen because [the OS is] a cheap alternative to Windows (and
    > OS X)."
    >
    > "Is Linux ready for the desktop? Yes. It works for most means, but I don't
    > think users want a brand new way of interacting with their computers," said
    > Sng in an interview with ZDNet Asia.
    >
    > Moreover, Sng feels there are areas Linux still lacks support for the
    > mainstream user.
    >
    > "Hardware support is still a big issue, especially for laptops. Second,
    > media codec support. There are so many closed formats that Linux has to jump
    > through hoops to support, legally or otherwise.

    Huhu? COLA "advocates" told us that 99% of Asian users used
    Linux. Surely not more lies and bull**** from COLA?

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

  5. Re: NEWS - Experts say: "Linux is never going to become mainstream."

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 14:01:42 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2040974,00.htm
    >>

    >> Linux is ready, but consumers are not
    >> By Victoria Ho, ZDNet Asia
    >> Monday, May 05, 2008 05:11 PM
    >>
    >> Alongside Red Hat and Novell's recent pulling away from the consumer Linux
    >> space, some are not confident the operating system (OS) will be ready for
    >> the mainstream market anytime soon.
    >>
    >> When ZDNet Asia asked Dell what its sales figures were for Linux-based PCs
    >> in Asia, the vendor reserved comment, but added: "Currently, Linux-based PCs
    >> still form a small proportion of our shipment in this region."
    >>
    >> Haff adds: "Although there are some high profile exceptions, desktop Linux
    >> wins mostly happen because [the OS is] a cheap alternative to Windows (and
    >> OS X)."
    >>
    >> "Is Linux ready for the desktop? Yes. It works for most means, but I don't
    >> think users want a brand new way of interacting with their computers," said
    >> Sng in an interview with ZDNet Asia.
    >>
    >> Moreover, Sng feels there are areas Linux still lacks support for the
    >> mainstream user.
    >>
    >> "Hardware support is still a big issue, especially for laptops. Second,
    >> media codec support. There are so many closed formats that Linux has to jump
    >> through hoops to support, legally or otherwise.

    > Huhu? COLA "advocates" told us that 99% of Asian users used
    > Linux. Surely not more lies and bull**** from COLA?

    They also told us that people in China are buying Linux loaded computers as
    fast as they can be built.

    They left out a minor point that most of these units are being wiped in
    order to install pirated versions of Windows XP.

    Never trust what a Linux advocate says.
    Check his links.
    Check his *facts*.
    Check his sources.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: NEWS - Experts say: "Linux is never going to become mainstream."

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic