It's today. What quit working in Linux since yesterday? - Linux

This is a discussion on It's today. What quit working in Linux since yesterday? - Linux ; Quite a lot, of course. This is Linux we're talking about. ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago." http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5 kernel developers just quit working: "Then ...

  1. It's today. What quit working in Linux since yesterday?

    Quite a lot, of course. This is Linux we're talking about.

    ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious
    reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago."
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5

    kernel developers just quit working: "Then I quit forever."
    http://apcmag.com/interview_with_con...he_desktop.htm

    Samba just quits working: "Then some of this suddenly stopped working."

    Samba just quits working: "My computer just stopped sharing its folder
    (which had worked perfectly) one day"

    keyboard just quits working: "While entering data in Krecipes package
    keyboard quit inputing characters"
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6617_102...sageID=2615582

    keyboard just quits working: "..the keyboard would work for awhile and then
    just quit."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/..._this_notebook

    yum just quits working: "this has worked for about four months and today it
    has stopped working."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-119325.html

    network just quits working: "I noticed some times my network will just quit
    working and won't reconnect even if i plug it into a cable nothing works and
    I have to reboot."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/152456

    wireless just quits working: "Wireless connection just quits working.
    Windows will connect just fine."
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lo...hp/t33604.html

    DNS just quits working: "...DNS has just quit working."

    printing just quits working: "...printnig would just quit working for all
    apps..."
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...underbird.html

    audio player just quits working: "... the Audio Player program just quit
    working one day and hasn't worked since."
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    PCMCIA card just quits working: "...one day, the connection simply quit
    working."..."The card works fine in win98se, and I have no problems
    connecting to our router, which is a USR8054."
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26032

    graphics just quit working: "When the WU restarted the graphics window did
    not come back."
    http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=468

    sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and the
    right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the left cut out.
    I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up all the way too. I'm
    not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I guess."

    Linuxconf just quits working: "Does Linuxconf actually work? When I use it,
    it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and always tell me
    some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to just quit on me."
    http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html

    Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working !"
    http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838

    User quits Linux: "That did it for me--Linux was "too hard." I quit."
    http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxswitchstory

  2. Re: It's today. What quit working in Linux since yesterday?

    "DFS" wrote in message
> [...]
    >

    > sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and the
    > right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the left cut
    > out.
    > I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up all the way too. I'm
    > not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I guess."
    >

    > Linuxconf just quits working: "Does Linuxconf actually work? When I use
    > it,
    > it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and always tell
    > me
    > some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to just quit on me."
    > http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html
    >

    > Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working !"
    > http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838
    >

    > User quits Linux: "That did it for me--Linux was "too hard." I quit."

    It's the famous linux bit-rot. Or more likely, one of the almost-daily
    system updates (apt-get update + apt-get upgrade) broke something. A
    dependent library gets updated and all of the apps that use it have to get
    rebuilt. Windows used to have a problem like this back in the 1990's... it
    was called DLL hell. Linux still suffers from it today.

  3. Re: It's today. What quit working in Linux since yesterday?

    On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:00:22 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> [...]
    >> it,
    >> it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and always tell
    >> me
    >> some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to just quit on me."
    >> http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html
    >>

    >> Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working !"
    >> http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838
    >>

    >> User quits Linux: "That did it for me--Linux was "too hard." I quit."
    >> http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxswitchstory
    >>

    > It's the famous linux bit-rot. Or more likely, one of the almost-daily
    > system updates (apt-get update + apt-get upgrade) broke something. A
    > dependent library gets updated and all of the apps that use it have to get
    > rebuilt. Windows used to have a problem like this back in the 1990's... it
    > was called DLL hell. Linux still suffers from it today.

    The family PCLinuxOS machine is having problems with audio CD's.
    It just stalls with KSCD on occasion, sometimes it gets into a loop where
    it keeps playing and you can't stop it other than killing the process for
    KSCD.
    Amarok just sits there and complains about some directory link not being
    correct even though nothing has changed from the user POV.

    I swapped in another CDROM and it does the same thing.
    I put the CD on the other IDE controller, same thing.

    All work fine under the Windows XP OS which is dual booted on that same
    machine.

    Linux is just crap ware and every day just further confirms it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: It's today. What quit working in Linux since yesterday?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic