Microsoft’s Failed Yahoo Bid Risks Online Growth - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft’s Failed Yahoo Bid Risks Online Growth - Linux ; Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive, walked away from a Yahoo deal on Saturday still looking for an answer to his company’s fundamental problem: its time-tested recipe for success isn’t working against Google, the leader in the current wave of ...

  1. Microsoft’s Failed Yahoo Bid Risks Online Growth

    Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive, walked away from a
    Yahoo deal on Saturday still looking for an answer to his company’s
    fundamental problem: its time-tested recipe for success isn’t working
    against Google, the leader in the current wave of Internet
    computing....

    Microsoft remains a powerful company, and highly profitable, but its
    stock price has stagnated amid doubts about future growth. Years of
    antitrust scrutiny have tempered its competitive behavior in new
    markets.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/te...hp&oref=slogin

    Google runs on Linux servers. The exact number is secret, but
    estimates have ranged up to a million.

  2. Re: Microsoft’s Failed Yahoo Bid Risks Online Growth

    Another quote from the article. Yang and Ballmer had a meeting
    recently at Gates' father's offices in Seattle. Yang basically said
    no to Microsoft's offer. One of Ballmer's guys is reported to have
    said, “They are going to burn the furniture if we go hostile. They are
    going to destroy the place.” So Ballmer decided to back off.

    Didn't Shuttleworth say that if Ballmer buys Yahoo, he will be
    swallowing a hand grenade?

  3. Re: Microsoft’s Failed Yahoo Bid Risks Online Growth

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Monday 05 May 2008 15:22 : \____

    > Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive, walked away from a
    > Yahoo deal on Saturday still looking for an answer to his company’s
    > fundamental problem: its time-tested recipe for success isn’t working
    > against Google, the leader in the current wave of Internet
    > computing....
    >
    > Microsoft remains a powerful company, and highly profitable, but its
    > stock price has stagnated amid doubts about future growth. Years of
    > antitrust scrutiny have tempered its competitive behavior in new
    > markets.
    >

    > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/te...hp&oref=slogin
    >
    > Google runs on Linux servers. The exact number is secret, but
    > estimates have ranged up to a million.

    Last year a source said half a million (or maybe it was the year before that),
    but Gartner (Microsoft 'Partner Group') said 1 million. It must have grown
    since then. I bet even Google does not know the exact number. Not all servers
    are created equal, either. There's a nice interactive Google Map on the Web
    which shows locations of datacentres. Google engineers use GNU/Linux on the
    desktops also, but a portion uses Macs. Windows is just popular among the
    other non-technical department.

    Microsoft hasn't given up on Yahoo, but the longer it goes on for, the more
    Google benefits. Yahoo and Live/MSN are frozen, uncertain, fragmented, etc.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open minds, open source