Cisco: Networking Is Hot Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Network operating systems are also keeping the networking market hot. Cisco
| has recently expanded its operating system lineup to now include IOS, NX-OS
| and Linux. IOS is Cisco's core internetworking operating system that powers
| many of its switches and routers, while NX-OS is a purpose built OS for
| Cisco's Nexus core switching platform.
| As for Linux, Cisco is using the open source operating system in various
| areas including the AXP module that turns ISR routers into Linux app servers.

Cisco's Linux-Based ISR Opens Road For Customized Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Cisco Partner Summit 2008 in Honolulu, the San Jose, Calif.-based
| networking heavyweight unveiled the Cisco Application eXtension Platform *
| (AXP). The AXP consists of open, Linux-based Cisco ISR hardware modules for
| application development and hosting to support a tighter integration of the
| network and applications. * *

One Router to Rule Them All

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not that often that I get to do first-hand, on-the-scene reporting, so I
| was somewhat surprised last week to open an email from one of Cisco's PR
| reps, offering the opportunity to report an announcement of interest to the
| Linux and Open Source community. Being the curious sort, I couldn't pass up
| such an opportunity. * *

Cisco Reaches Out to Application Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| First, let’s review the market landscape: Cisco and Microsoft both want to
| dominate the unified communications market. To do so, they will need
| independent software vendors (ISVs) that write applications for their
| respective platforms. *

Cisco Turns Routers Into Linux Application Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Networking goliath Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is now opening its Integrated
| Services Router (ISR) and Cisco Wide Area Application Services (WAAS)
| platforms to become Linux-based application server platforms. The move could
| have wide-ranging implications, as Cisco's gear has millions of deployments
| that now can be leveraged to serve applications directly. * *

Cisco finds that it's not so easy working with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently Microsoft has "taken limited steps to share users' presence and
| availabilty information," for fear of losing its ability to own all of the
| client. *
| Someone should tell Chambers that in reality it's not so easy working with
| Microsoft. *

Cisco CEO Says Microsoft Screws Its Partners Everytime...Just Like Apple.

,----[ Quote ]
| If partnering with Microsoft is not a win-win then it must be a win-lose…in
| Microsoft’s favor of course.

Cisco CEO: 'Microsoft Has Given Us a Three-Year Lead'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has given us a three-year lead. And we've never lost a
| game when we've had a three-year lead... It's a battle we fully
| intend to win.

Microsoft's Worst Nightmare (Nope, Not Google)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cisco/Linksys drive into the home follows an absolutely miserable
| effort by Microsoft, which had a first-mover advantage but blew it in
| favor of its Xbox gaming play. Maybe Microsoft figured the timing just
| wasn't right. In any case, Microsoft angered a lot of digital home
| integrators who were hoping for some support to break open the
| market.

Cisco benefits as Microsoft keeps moving the goalposts

,----[ Quote ]
| Forced between choosing between unified comms vendors, many users
| are reluctantly opting to use an alternative to Microsoft. Others,
| it seems, are a lot less disappointed.
| [...]
| The Microsoft partner confessed that Cisco is the preferred option. "Cisco
| has a better track record of consistency on upgrades. Whereas Microsoft?s
| new products can be a completely different kettle of fish from the last,"
| he said.

Cisco, Microsoft, Others Get Together On Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Cisco Systems and the open-standards Trusted Computing
| Group each developed their own NAC approaches, which use a variety
| of software and hardware to boost network security.

Can Microsoft and Cisco Still Be Pals?

,----[ Quote ]
| That puts it in direct competition with Microsoft, which is No. 2
| with its Live Meeting service. Microsoft's big push will come in
| June when it begins producing a host of products, including Microsoft
| Office Communicator 2007.

Why the world needs openness, not interoperability.

,----[ Quote ]
| This NAC/NAP lovefest would be laughable if it weren't such
| a kick-in-the-teeth to the rest of the industry, enterprise IT, and
| all Internet users. A Cisco/Microsoft oligopoly stalls implementation,
| stifles innovation, and makes the network less secure. In this way, Cisco
| and Microsoft are standing in the way of progress.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIHq4AU4xAY3RXLo4RApFRAJ9qnXN8+V2J+nYfYspf3E 9kJQCdugCgj6eY