Release the OOXML final DIS text now !

,----[ Quote ]
| So the SC34 Secretariat should have distributed the "final DIS text" by March
| 29th, or at the very least, when the final ballot results on OOXML were known
| a few days later.
| But that didn't happen. Nothing. Silence. What is the hang up? I note that
| when NB's said that the Fast Track schedule did not give sufficient time to
| review OOXML, the response from ISO/IEC was "There is nothing we can do. The
| Directives only permit 5 months". And when NB's protested at the arbitrary 5
| day length of the OOXML BRM, the response was similarly dismissive. But when
| Microsoft needs more time to edit OOXML, well that appears to be something
| entirely different. "Directives, Schmerectives. You don't worry yourself
| about no stinkin' Directives. Take whatever time you need, Sir."
| [...]
| So, I'll make my own personal appeal. JTC1 has the text. The Directives are
| clear. The delay is unnecessary and harmful in the ways I outlined above.
| Release the final DIS text now. Not next month. Not next week. Release it
| now.

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF." ¬* ¬*

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims ¬*continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year. ¬*
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted. ¬* ¬*

Software wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Allegations of committee-stuffing, the outcome of votes overridden by
| political appointees, a final decision that many involved consider tainted:
| this may sound like a discredited election in some third world country. But
| it is actually a description of an ugly fight over international technical
| standards that wrapped up this week. Microsoft came out on top, but at the
| cost of tarnishing its reputation and the credibility of an important
| back-room process that oils the wheels of many global industries. ¬* ¬* ¬*

Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]
| The annual "CoreBrand Brand Power 100" Branding Index(R) of 1,200 US
| corporations ranks Coca-Cola Company and Johnson & Johnson at #1 and #2
| respectively, unchanged since 2004. Meanwhile, Microsoft's corporate brand
| declined in stunning fashion over the past four years, falling from 11 in
| 2004 to 59 in 2007 Microsoft, a decline of 48 places! ¬* ¬*

Martin Bryan: we are getting ‚Äústandardization by corporation‚ÄĚ

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible' ¬*
| [...]
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. ‚Ķ ¬* ¬*

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

| In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
| WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
| standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
| SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group. ¬*

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique. ¬*

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)