Yahoo's AOL, Google deals still in the works

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may no longer be breathing down its neck, but Yahoo is still
| working on major deals with Google and Time Warner's AOL that could
| significantly alter the Internet pioneer.
`----

Microsoft may seek other deal to fight Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp could seek a variety of deals after walking away from Yahoo
| Inc, but few would be comprehensive enough to let it challenge Google Inc's
| domination of online advertising.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/press...30872520080505

Microsoft is like a suppressive totalitarian regime. It was willing to destroy
one company merely to use it as a tool to destroy another. No wonder the EU
considers embargoing Microsoft (decision due by the beginning of June). Links
at the bottom.

Yahoo! Issues Statement in Response to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Jerry Yang, co-founder and chief executive officer, Yahoo! Inc. added, "I am
| incredibly proud of the way our team has come together over the last three
| months. This process has underscored our unique and valuable strategic
| position. With the distraction of Microsoft's unsolicited proposal now behind
| us, we will be able to focus all of our energies on executing the most
| important transition in our history so that we can maximize our potential to
| the benefit of our shareholders, employees, partners and users."
`----

http://yhoo.client.shareholder.com/p...leaseID=308131

Microhoo dead? Microsoft and Yahoo part ways – for now

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo has reportedly had an exodus of executives over the past few months,
| and you have to wonder if some of Yahoo’s engineers are also considering
| their options.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18036/1105/

Microsoft plus Yahoo: Is it really over?

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Microsoft Corp. acquisition offer that buoyed its stock now a thing
| of the past, and a more intimate relationship with dominant rival Google Inc.
| on the horizon, Yahoo Inc. may face an uncertain future.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...%7D&dist=msr_1
http://tinyurl.com/5r7fpy

Recent:

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato. *
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._projects.html

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
| The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
| issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
| Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group. *
|
| As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
| standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
| requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
| standardisation process. *
|
| [...]
|
| “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
| the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
| ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
| standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg. *
|
| In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
| cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
| market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
| Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
| specification doesn't work with those of competitors. * *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...stigation_iso/

Related:

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
`----